Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of the Heineken Cup In Doubt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bitter As A Lemon View Post
    Wow...sweeping statements from Outlaw...who'd have guessed.

Why don't the IRFU take the same attitude with Connacht then Outlaw?
    Why should they prop up a team that only attract 8000 supporters 3/4 times a year, especially when you consider how poor the accounts are right now.
    The SRU had plenty of time to get their house in order and at the outset of professionalism looked down their noses at us.

The WRU have been posturing with England for long enough for a breakaway league from the Rabo.

The tables have turned now. I am genunely mystified at the sudden attachment people have to our Celtic counsins who have shown us little respect in the past IMO.

As regards Connacht. We've survived on scraps for years so I wouldn't worry about us. We're not dependant on HEC income as much as the other three provinces.
    I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

The WRU have not been agitating for an Anglo-Welsh. The WRU have firmly stepped in and told some members of RRW that it ain't happening, and last had to do so some five years ago.
      Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
        The SRU had plenty of time to get their house in order and at the outset of professionalism looked down their noses at us.

The WRU have been posturing with England for long enough for a breakaway league from the Rabo.

The tables have turned now. I am genunely mystified at the sudden attachment people have to our Celtic counsins who have shown us little respect in the past IMO.

As regards Connacht. We've survived on scraps for years so I wouldn't worry about us. We're not dependant on HEC income as much as the other three provinces.
        Yes, you are. You're dependent on IRFU income like everyone else. The income from the H Cup that the IRFU sends down to Connacht could well be a greater proportion of Connacht's budget than it is of any other province's.

Comment

Originally posted by TomsOnTheRoof View Post
          http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24069627

Nice to see Warburton turn his back on his own union. This along with Kearney mouthing off would really make you wonder about the makeup and backbone of some professionals.
          Agree totally with Warburthon on this one, and the main beneficiary would be a highly compettitve Pro12.

Comment

From the original article by Simon Thomas above:

Originally posted by Sam Kennedy-Warburton
            Wales and Lions captain Sam Warburton has opened up on how sad he would be to see the end of the Heineken Cup and has made a passionate plea for the competition to be saved.

The future of Europe’s elite cup tournament is clouded in doubt with the English and French clubs insisting they will quit at the end of this season and set up their own breakaway event.

As it stands, there will be no Heineken Cup for the Welsh regions to play in next year and Blues flanker Warburton says that would be a huge blow.

“I would definitely be sad to see it go,” he declared.

“It’s a great competition. It’s unique because you’ve got teams from six countries going up against each other.

“To me, it’s always been exciting to watch, whether it’s the group stages or the knock-out stages and the final is always such a great occasion.

“I look at the finals over the last 10 years and they are always sell-outs in massive stadiums, like the Millennium and places like that.

“It’s as good as an international fixture with the intensity, the atmosphere and the attention put on the game. I would love to experience a Heineken final.

“As a player, you want to play the highest standard of competition you can and the Heineken Cup is the top club and regional competition in Europe.

“Speaking personally, it has been a very enjoyable competition to play in.

“So it would be a disappointment to see it go.”

He continued: “I’m not sure what is going to happen next season.

“It’s over the players’ heads really. There’s nothing we can do about it. It’s out of our hands, it’s not in our control.

“But European competition is great to play in and obviously everybody would like to be part of it.”
            That should give an idea of the - unacknowledged - cherry-picking.

Comment

The English clubs value their independence highly, in particular Leicester who do not have a sugar daddy, they hate the imposition of a salary cap by the RFU and want to break free of it, by taking control of European competitions away from the RFU, they will have greater access to income and will seek to bury the salary cap.

Most fans at Leicester care far more about their club than their country and detest the amount of time their players are away which leads to the necessity of a full side of foreign replacments.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
                The WRU have not been agitating for an Anglo-Welsh. The WRU have firmly stepped in and told some members of RRW that it ain't happening, and last had to do so some five years ago.
                No but the regions have micky-waved it often enough. Sure they are currently in dispute with the WRU about the future of the game in Wales. Nobody knows where that's going to end up.

The best of Wales's players are playing in England and France as it is. The Irish game is the only "relatively" stable environment in the Rabo at present.

We could well end up outside this with the other Celtic nations with our elite players playing abroad. Similar to Wales in the HEC at present.

I'm still pinning my hopes on the IRB bringing everyone to the table to work out an equitable solution.
                I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                  No but the regions have micky-waved it often enough. Sure they are currently in dispute with the WRU about the future of the game in Wales. Nobody knows where that's going to end up.

The best of Wales's players are playing in England and France as it is. The Irish game is the only "relatively" stable environment in the Rabo at present.

We could well end up outside this with the other Celtic nations with our elite players playing abroad. Similar to Wales in the HEC at present.

I'm still pinning my hopes on the IRB bringing everyone to the table to work out an equitable solution.
                  http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/r...-boost-4720006

Do you ever check your facts before posting?

Comment

Wow. I thanked you in a post.

Comment

Looking at the date on that article it appears it's from the future... Looks like the Welsh will still be struggling to keep players playing in Wales five years from now.

Comment

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugb...-29575927.html

Pure bluff. They have nothing solid, and they know it.

Comment

I see Reddan has joined Kearney in the all us top pros might run off to France game in todays Indo
                          My computer thinks I'm gay
                          What's the difference anyway
                          When all the people do all day
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Off with them.
                            The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

This thread has just become as funny as the Friday thread!
                              Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Burgers View Post
                                Wow. I thanked you in a post.

Comment

Working...
                                X