Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of the Heineken Cup In Doubt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't see break away from IRB - NZ, Aus and SA have nothing at all to do with this and no interest currently in leaving IRB, what would England and France have? An annual play with each fest.
    \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

They're so limp wristed I'm surprised they can type without dislocating something.
      To The Brave And The Faithful, Nothing Is Unpublishable.

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
        Seldom have so many written so much about something they have so little actual knowledge
        Please enlighten us unworthy minions oh exalted purveyor of all knowledge

Comment

It seems to me that there are positive attributes in the English rugby game that are valuable, worth keeping but in danger of being lost. There is a tradition there that values club loyalty, apres-match bonding, making lifelong friends in the game, touring with Celtic players on Lions tours, and so on. This is in contrast to English football which doesn't have most of these.

Yet the owners of rugby clubs are somehow uncoupled from all this and seem to be acting in exactly the same manner that their football counterparts did 20+ years ago when the Premier football league was formed. But football, with it's massive support base and TV audience, could afford to completely re-structure around TV. Rugby cannot.

Moreover, there is nothing "radical" about the current PRL initiative - it is merely a tweak that will re-distribute a modest cake differently, but for what? The wreaking of huge damage on the very attributes that must be valued by those who take time to think about the game. We like to label English rugby as arrogant a lot of the time, but the club game there has a massive tradition and heritage.

This is about economics, but the economics of rugby are nothing like those of football.

The breakaway cannot be allowed to succeed. I'm no caver, but I hope the Rabo unions are keeping their possible concessions close to their chest until the last moment possible. Something will have to give, but the worry is now that people have backed themselves into tight corners with no way out. To have a Kiernan or Millar right now. Mr Browne, this is your time.
          Last edited by blackwarrior; 12th-September-2013, 21:27.
          "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Red Hand Hero View Post
            Sky have been very quiet over all of this as well, i cannot imagine that if things were quite as dire as PRL and the LNR are making out that they too would not be pulling some moves getting journo's on their payroll-Greenwood, Barnes, Morris etc etc to bring some 'balance' to proceedings.

It's predominantly been ****e from ESPN (BT) and the English papers....strange that.
            You're absolutely right. There hasn't been a mig out of them on this issue at all.
            Last edited by RichardP; 12th-September-2013, 21:19.

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
              One thing is abundantly clear, the Connacht boyos are cut from the same cloth as Robnoxious. Surrender monkeys with big fat yellow bellies. Good job none of them are involved in negotiating for us.

Plenty of fire up north (as expected).

I think its called realism.

Even Philip Browne knows the current status quo is a dead duck.

We stand to lose far more under a new arrangement as we're unlikely to qualify for it! Although we depend less on the revenue as we have the begging bowls out for whatever scraps the IRFU give us.
              I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Things will probably change but not to the extent that those fucktards from PRL want. I presume the "we" business is Connacht?
                The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

"They're so limp wristed I'm surprised they can type without dislocating something."
                  Bitch!!
                  Mumha Abu

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                    Things will probably change but not to the extent that those fucktards from PRL want. I presume the "we" business is Connacht?
                    The PRL are a disgrace. I think we all agree on that.

The qualification process will change. Probably not a bad thing. We've ridden on the coat-tails of yourselves and Leinster and been very fortunate to do so. But we need to do it for ourselves now IMO.

I don't see why Zebre should be entitled to a place in the HEC. I don't see why Edinburgh should have one either. The SRU had plenty of opportunity to bedrock professional rugby in Scotland. It failed to do so. That is not the IRFU's fault.

The IRFU should go there and get the best deal for Irish Rugby. It is not our responsibility to look after Italian and Scottish Rugby.
                    I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by deltared View Post
                      "They're so limp wristed I'm surprised they can type without dislocating something."
                      Bitch!!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	funny-shirt-for-women.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	2477882
                      To The Brave And The Faithful, Nothing Is Unpublishable.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                        The PRL are a disgrace. I think we all agree on that.

The qualification process will change. Probably not a bad thing. We've ridden on the coat-tails of yourselves and Leinster and been very fortunate to do so. But we need to do it for ourselves now IMO.

I don't see why Zebre should be entitled to a place in the HEC. I don't see why Edinburgh should have one either. The SRU had plenty of opportunity to bedrock professional rugby in Scotland. It failed to do so. That is not the IRFU's fault.

The IRFU should go there and get the best deal for Irish Rugby. It is not our responsibility to look after Italian and Scottish Rugby.
                        Ever consider that the best deal for Irish rugby might involve NOT selling the pass to the French moneymen trying to buy up world rugby as part of a dick-measuring exercise?
                        Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
                          Ever consider that the best deal for Irish rugby might involve NOT selling the pass to the French moneymen trying to buy up world rugby as part of a dick-measuring exercise?
                          Our dicks aren't big enough to get into a pissing contest with the French in my opinion.

We need to keep the French on board as they are key to the whole thing in my view. I don't see the French having any more loyalty to the English then they do to anyone else. If we can come up with an equitable solution that appeals to them they'd ditch the PRL which would force a climbdown by the Brits.

Comment

Our dicks aren't big enough to get into a pissing contest with the French in my opinion.

We need to keep the French on board as they are key to the whole thing in my view. I don't see the French having any more loyalty to the English then they do to anyone else. If we can come up with an equitable solution that appeals to them they'd ditch the PRL which would force a climbdown by the Brits.
                            And why, then, are you advocating surrender to the moneymen instead of working with the union who has seen what they're doing to French rugby and know it's a battle that needs fighting?
                            Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Omer View Post
                              what would England and France have? An annual play with each fest.
                              like the ashes
                              "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

I don't see why Edinburgh should have one either.
                                Mod edit
                                My computer thinks I'm gay
                                What's the difference anyway
                                When all the people do all day
                                Is stare into a phone

Comment

Working...
                                X