Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of the Heineken Cup In Doubt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tiger View Post
    Leicester have often openly stated that they lost money when winning it against Stade Francais, and again the next year when they beat Munster. The club ended up out of pocket. This has been repeatedly stated by the club in several interviews I've seen.

That was pre-Sky days (from 2003). The competition was very new at that stage.
    Turnover of ERC in 2005 was 21M. Turnover of ERC in 2012 was 51M

By the way, that is over 10 years ago and your still banging on about it?

Do the club ever mention the killing they made on meeting Leinster in the Aviva?

Comment

It could be seen to be churlish of me to point out that Ulster were less than impressive for a number of seasons until the IRFU raised their budgets about 4/5 seasons ago. If so, I apologise. However, I do feel the point is worthy when we are discussing where funding comes from.
      Your point is? We were poorly run by a bunch of amateurs however I don't think we ran to a deficit we were just ****.

Once we got our house in order we've more than justified the cash injection and make the IRFU a healthy profit I dare say.
      Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
      http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
        "We thought that had been achieved in October with a formula that appeared to be acceptable to everyone, but for some reason it was not agreed."

To what is McCafferty referring here?
        Roumour has it a deal was done that was agreeable to PRL, the LNR and 5 of the 6 Unions. Basically the new competition would be run on a commercial basis by the 3 leagues with overall governance being the responsibility of the company that runs the 6 Nations. It was basically a surrender by the Unions.

The FFR led by Pierre Camou would have nothing to do with this proposal and said it was the ERC or nothing. The Celts and the Italians were happy to fall in behind the FFR.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
          The final decision itself doesn't show up on Westlaw for me!
          I get this - with nothing later in the case analyses
          Park Promotion Ltd (t/a Pontypool Rugby Football Club) v Welsh Rugby Union Ltd Queen's Bench Division, 17 July 2012

Subject: Civil procedure
          Keywords: Breach of contract; Costs; Costs between the parties; Mediation; Rugby
          Where Reported: [2012] EWHC 2406 (QB)
          Documents: Case Analysis Lawtel Transcript

Park Promotion Ltd (t/a Pontypool Rugby Football Club) v Welsh Rugby Union Ltd Queen's Bench Division, 11 July 2012

Subject: Sport; Contracts
          Keywords: Implied agreements; Regulations; Rugby; Rules; Sports governing bodies
          Where Reported: [2012] EWHC 1919 (QB); Official Transcript
          Documents: Case Analysis Official Transcript
          Last edited by anno12; 5-December-2013, 22:09.

Comment

Originally posted by anno12 View Post
            I get this - with nothing later in the case analyses
            Park Promotion Ltd (t/a Pontypool Rugby Football Club) v Welsh Rugby Union Ltd Queen's Bench Division, 17 July 2012

Subject: Civil procedure
            Keywords: Breach of contract; Costs; Costs between the parties; Mediation; Rugby
            Where Reported: [2012] EWHC 2406 (QB)

Park Promotion Ltd (t/a Pontypool Rugby Football Club) v Welsh Rugby Union Ltd Queen's Bench Division, 11 July 2012

Subject: Sport; Contracts
            Keywords: Implied agreements; Regulations; Rugby; Rules; Sports governing bodies
            Where Reported: [2012] EWHC 1919 (QB); Official Transcript
            Those are the Pontypool ones, I meant the final decision in Newport County v. FAW.
            Last edited by Thomond78; 5-December-2013, 22:20.
            Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Leicester have often openly stated that they lost money when winning it against Stade Francais, and again the next year when they beat Munster. The club ended up out of pocket. This has been repeatedly stated by the club in several interviews I've seen.
              Even if that is true, you are talking about a f**king decade ago ffs. If you are trying to tell me now that with a minimum of £800,000 TV revenue and with three full houses (72,000 bums on seats, at what an average of £30 per lid? £2.16Million?) that it costs Leicester to participate in Europe? Pull the other one chap.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                How? With the greatest respect, I acknowledge that both those wins were a while ago but how do you lose money on three home games and 50/50 pots for the knock out stages plus the TV money? I just do not see how you lose money unless no one turns up to watch your home games. And PRL think they would do a better job of running a European competition than ERC? Please.
                Costs, and woeful commercial returns.

You may dismiss many of the arguments of PRL and LNR down the last few years, but the ones about the poor HEC commercial return have considerable merit. It has long been known and laughed about at Leicester that the Anglo-Welsh (EDF as was) raised a much greater sum of money for the club than taking part in the HEC did, by about three times the amount. Leicester also get a bigger home gate for an AP match than they do an HEC game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie Brown View Post
                  Your point is? We were poorly run by a bunch of amateurs however I don't think we ran to a deficit we were just ****.

Once we got our house in order we've more than justified the cash injection and make the IRFU a healthy profit I dare say.
                  You accused Leicester of being a badly-run outfit. That was my point.

Well done on the recovery. Though we regularly seem to lose to you at Ravenhill, it is good to see a rejuvenated Ulster.

Comment

Costs, and woeful commercial returns.

You may dismiss many of the arguments of PRL and LNR down the last few years, but the ones about the poor HEC commercial return have considerable merit. It has long been known and laughed about at Leicester that the Anglo-Welsh (EDF as was) raised a much greater sum of money for the club than taking part in the HEC did, by about three times the amount. Leicester also get a bigger home gate for an AP match than they do an HEC game.
                    Who ran the commercial committee of the ERC Tiger?
                    Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
                    http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie Brown View Post
                      Who ran the commercial committee of the ERC Tiger?
                      At that time I don't know. Major commercial decisions now are made by Derek McGrath, with the commercial committee rubber stamping them.

Comment

@simonrug 45s Spoke to PRL chairman Quentin Smith tonight. He's confident that lots of teams from around the world will want to play the English clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnat View Post
                          @simonrug 45s Spoke to PRL chairman Quentin Smith tonight. He's confident that lots of teams from around the world will want to play the English clubs.
                          Let them. Some laugh watching them organising glorified friendlies to give their international players some game-time. Australia must be pissing themselves laughing at this,
                          I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

The PRL are leaving rugby union. They are marching straight towards the exit door.

What rugby union will agree to allow their teams play them and risk pissing off 5 of the Six Nation rugby unions? Which southern hemisphere union wants that lot lying in the long grass the next time they go looking for votes?

Is this the agreed policy of all the English clubs? Is it more that a small clique are pushing this? or are they all morons?
                            Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                              Let them. Some laugh watching them organising glorified friendlies to give their international players some game-time. Australia must be pissing themselves laughing at this,
                              Indeed, remind me, how much did the ABs want to play Munster in TP?

I wonder how much invitational teams or S15 teams will want for friendlies?

They must be in kinks laughing as they wait the phone call from Smith or McCafferty saying "do you lads fancy a bit of a kick about?"

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                                The PRL are leaving rugby union. They are marching straight towards the exit door.

What rugby union will agree to allow their teams play them and risk pissing off 5 of the Six Nation rugby unions? Which southern hemisphere union wants that lot lying in the long grass the next time they go looking for votes?

Is this the agreed policy of all the English clubs? Is it more that a small clique are pushing this? or are they all morons?
                                I had hoped that there would have been some who would have stood up to Mccafferty at that meeting. But, as was mentioned earlier, did they have any choice. Were they bound by the BT contract, which prevented them returning?
                                Cé go bhfuil an namhaid trampled underfoot mo thír, fhios ag an teanga d'aois na Breataine Bige aon Retreat. Evan James 1856

Comment

Working...
                                X