Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of the Heineken Cup In Doubt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yanks dont do sports they havent pretty much invented themselves, its a scientific fact.

NFL
    Basketball
    Hockey
    Baseball

Sometimes they throw their hand to golf but thats merely a passtime rather than a sport. They think soccer is for wimps.

How do the PRL think they will entice a local support base in the states when they'd be showin one game in a blue moon over there? and say Leicester played the Not Nots in Boston, are you gonna disenfranchise the Tigers season ticket holders or the Not Not ticket holders? Someone is going to claim it as a 'home' tie and forfeit the wedge from their home faithful for the tickets for that game.

Hello Mr Kurns, Me bad want money now. Me Sick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	180843_146360752088782_6839795_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	2477701
    I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
      Right, so, £40m for a new European competition. Strip that out.

£112 million over four years: £28 million a year. Two million a year to the English clubs.

On current trend, of 500,000 signed up for this service (and generously assuming they're all rugby-related), that's £14 paid per sign-up per year. IIRC, as many if not most get it for free, BT are taking a major punt.

Worse, assuming (generously) the current rate of 43,000 new customers per quarter, I make that 172,000 new customers per year. £162.80 paid per new customer per year. As a business model, you could offer new customers £50, cash, apiece and still do better.

This is going to end in years yet. :D
      Might have to do the maths again T78 and it won't be better for the PR teams:_unimpressed__rvmp_

I thought the £40M was PA "PRL claim the deal includes a record-breaking sum for a European competition of £40m, almost trebling its current worth"
      Isnt the new Sky deal £24M pa, so nowhere near trebling it.

If you take out £120M from the £152M they keep harping on about that does not leave a lot for 69 AP games a season over 4 seasons. (PRL were getting £18M pa from Sky/ESPN for the AP, looks as if BT have managed to get the same for £8M pa if the figures in the article are true)
      :_crying__rvmp_by_ba

Also from the article, ERC source, “they (PRL) refused to sign a document which commits them to being more open and transparent about their BT deal”.

No wonder they are not prepared to share details of the contract they signed over a year ago if the above is true.

"Washington Red Skins (stadium capacity 91,704), Miami Dolphins (80,123), the Cleveland Browns (73,200) and the Boston Patriots (44,500)".

You would also expect PRL to get more than 50% of the names of their new business partners correct

Comment

Previous Sky HEC deal was £10m pa to the English, with up to £6m merit pavements. Overall BT deal headline figure was £152m over four years. Take that out, it's £112m for four years of AP - £28m/year, between 14 clubs.
        Last edited by Thomond78; 6th-August-2013, 12:38.
        Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
          Previous Sky deal was £10m pa to the English, with up to £6m merit pavements. Overall BT deal headline figure was £152m over four years. Take that out, it's £112m for four years of AP - £28m/year, between 14 clubs.
          If you are saying BT are paying £112M over 4 years for AP and £40M over 3 years for European ie £152M, does not compute.

When Sky have offered £72M over 3 years for European Rugby

This is where the confusion is, as PRL are trying to obfuscate matters by not telling anyone and still refusing to give the actual split between domestic and European rugby

Comment

I've a colander at home in the kitchen they can borrow to keep their proposal in if they'd like
            I am the million man.

Comment

ITV Digital blew up in the early 2000's and took a few clubs with htem. They ruined football league for a few years.

IMHO BT Vision will go the way ITV Digital (and Setanta and ESPN). They all do. The PRL will be left with their co(ks blowing in the wind and a lot of angry members.

I've said this before, but I can see this ending up as a legal mess.
              Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy View Post
                That news report above reads like spoilt child's Christmas letter to Santa.

Hard to take any of it seriously.
                It's a PR spin job by a bought and paid-for sympathizer...

Comment

Sky's deal for the H Cup is £70m for four years or £17.5m a year.

PRL told one of their pet journalists, around the time of the BT deal, that they had £102m for 3 years of European competition, or £34m a year. They have released contradictory figures to the press a number of times since then. Either they have a broadcast contract which allows them discretion as to the amount they place in the European cup pot, or they are lying and scheming.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                    Yanks dont do sports they havent pretty much invented themselves, its a scientific fact.

NFL
                    Basketball
                    Hockey
                    Baseball

Sometimes they throw their hand to golf but thats merely a passtime rather than a sport. They think soccer is for wimps.

How do the PRL think they will entice a local support base in the states when they'd be showin one game in a blue moon over there? and say Leicester played the Not Nots in Boston, are you gonna disenfranchise the Tigers season ticket holders or the Not Not ticket holders? Someone is going to claim it as a 'home' tie and forfeit the wedge from their home faithful for the tickets for that game.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7208[/ATTACH]
                    ironically they didn't invent Hockey or Basketball and were only one half of the invention of 'American' Football. Canadians invented the former and McGill University v Harvard rugby games were the impetus for the introduction of the forward pass, hence creating 'football', a game in which the ball goes to foot only as a last resort.

Comment

Could the PRL use the current Anglo-Welsh cup yoke, add in a few French teams & call that their European Competition?

Comment

[QUOTE=Cowboy;1261779]

[/QTE]
                        And BT is going to send outside broadcast teams to those venues? It is beyond unlikely that ANY major network in the US would pick up these games and broadcast them live since they would have almost zero appeal to advertisers

Comment

Originally posted by Drick View Post
                          Could the PRL use the current Anglo-Welsh cup yoke, add in a few French teams & call that their European Competition?
                          It all has to be sanctioned by the IRB. If they got the French on side though, they'd probably be prepared to go it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Drick View Post
                            Not sure BT would cough up for that one or if the IRB would sanction it and that is the key to this whole business. If the stake holders come to the IRB with a product that satisfies them all the IRB will sanction it, if they don't I don't think the IRB will and the lawyers will enter the fray.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

NFL
                              Basketball
                              Hockey
                              Baseball

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7208[/ATTACH]
                              Golf is a huge industry in the States. Huge. Most global game in the world after soccer.
                              I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                                Golf is a huge industry in the States. Huge. Most global game in the world after soccer.

Without doubt. But it's not viewed (I dont think) in the same way as NFL or Baseball over there, they love golf but it doesn't contest with the team sports for airtime or attention, you can love golf and love team sports, just like here.
                                I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                                X