Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of the Heineken Cup In Doubt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A comparison to NZ for any side in the world leads to unfavourable results. Its a religion down there whereas in most countries its the third or fourth best supported sport and yes the French National team could be better by only playing / employing French players. The fans decided they would rather pay good money to see the some of the best players in the world play for their clubs just as we did in Ireland
    My computer thinks I'm gay
    What's the difference anyway
    When all the people do all day
    Is stare into a phone

Comment

Agreed sewa- after all on a Heineken cup weekend assuming everyone fit 3 of the 4 starting THs for the provinces aren't qualified for Ireland and the one that is doesn't appear to be rated going by the Munster v Leinster thread .

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameRFC View Post
        Over the last few weekends 4 out of the Top 14 clubs have played a French fly halfTrinh Duc at MontpellierTales at CastresLopez at Perpignan *Hook has played huge amount at 10.Bernard at Bordeaux.Anyone watching 6n or international rugby knows the french have struggled at 10...and as far as im concerned the answer is in black and white.
        Yes four fly half were playing, and in NZ they are 5 on the ground during the super 15. Hardly a huge difference.And we have always been poor at 10 in France. Who was the last french fly half as good as Wilkinson, Larkham or Carter? We never have a player like that.

Comment

A slightly bizarre aspect of the France game has been the use of a 9 to run the game. They have always had better 9's and rely on them to act as the pivot to direct play whereas for most teams the 9 tends to ship ball to 10. One cant criticise the Frogs for wanting the likes of Giteau, Nonu, Carter etc when in reality we'd love them here playng for us
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
            One cant criticise the Frogs for wanting the likes of Giteau, Nonu, Carter etc when in reality we'd love them here playng for us
            true but how do you explain Armitage, The Hask, Sexton..??
            polluting their teams with non international class players....
            He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Jos View Post
              Yes four fly half were playing, and in NZ they are 5 on the ground during the super 15. Hardly a huge difference.And we have always been poor at 10 in France. Who was the last french fly half as good as Wilkinson, Larkham or Carter? We never have a player like that.
              Pierre Albaladejo or Guy Camberabero - both were heroes when I was a boy! I'm sure you've had a few since then?!

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
                true but how do you explain Armitage, The Hask, Sexton..??
                polluting their teams with non international class players....
                Dead right. I can't believe they'd target Heazloid either.
                Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

A slightly bizarre aspect of the France game has been the use of a 9 to run the game. They have always had better 9's and rely on them to act as the pivot to direct play whereas for most teams the 9 tends to ship ball to 10. One cant criticise the Frogs for wanting the likes of Giteau, Nonu, Carter etc when in reality we'd love them here playng for us
                  Orly?

His S15 record is something like 9 wins in 4 seasons, guy is only interested in playing international rugby and is a bad influence
                  The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by RichardP View Post
                    Pierre Albaladejo or Guy Camberabero - both were heroes when I was a boy! I'm sure you've had a few since then?!
                    Our lastest good fly-half players were Thierry Lacroix or Christophe Lamaison. I think our best hope in France is Camille Lopez.

Comment

Its statistics, not maths and actually I am a professionally qualified statistician (after a fashion) given that Stats and Chemometrics (another type of stats) were a 1/4 of my primary degree.
                      Chemometrics: The science of extracting information from chemical systems by data-driven means.

We do get a better class of piss-taker around these parts.
                      "There are a lot of other key decision makers who must agree with your plan."
                      Johan Erasmus

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameRFC View Post
                        I think comparing it to Ireland isnt the benchmark.
                        Nz have 5 S15 rugby teams and 14 ITM/NPC with im guessing 85% minimum eligible for NZ. Its they're ability to have a domestic comp thats choc ful of kiwis...and the best feed into S15 and then into the national team.
                        That number of non eligible french players is sure to affect national team. Look at the out half position for starters.
                        Over the last few weekends 4 out of the Top 14 clubs have played a French fly half

Trinh Duc at Montpellier
                        Tales at Castres
                        Lopez at Perpignan *Hook has played huge amount at 10.
                        Bernard at Bordeaux.

Clermont (James) , Toulon (Wilko) Racing (Sexton) Toulouse (McAllister) Brive (Swanepoel), Stewart (Grenoble) ,Waenga (Biarritz) ,Brett (Bayonne), Urdapilleta (Oyonnax) and Morne Steyn impending arrival at Stade Francais.....are all starters at fly half.

Anyone watching 6n or international rugby knows the french have struggled at 10...and as far as im concerned the answer is in black and white.
                        Not trying to nitpick but is the young lad with Stade French? Plisson?
                        He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by redherring View Post
                          Not trying to nitpick but is the young lad with Stade French? Plisson?
                          Yes until now he plays (and he's quite good) , but Stade Français have Morne Steyn too.

Comment

Trinh duc isn't a bad player at all.
                            So I walked as day was dawning
                            Where small birds sang and leaves were falling
                            Where we once watched the row boats landing
                            By the broad majestic shannon

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                              Orly?
                              I knew someone would pick up on it. Congrats you win todays medal :)
                              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by Cougar Moon View Post
                                Trinh duc isn't a bad player at all.
                                Trinh Duc, is a very good player, when he plays with a team which like to attack a lot like Montpellier. But when the level is higher, and when he must use his foot to play a strategic games, he often has some problems.But the biggest worry in France is Saint-André. Each times a player has a bad games, he changes his opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X