Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of the Heineken Cup In Doubt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Just because there are no English Prem clubs doesn't mean you can't have English teams in the HEC. The RFU could be invited to field a few teams.
    Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

    Comment


      Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
      Just because there are no English Prem clubs doesn't mean you can't have English teams in the HEC. The RFU could be invited to field a few teams.
      The RFU have been down that road though, and apparently built a war chest to construct some RFU controlled franchises only a few years ago.

      I suspect that horse has bolted though.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

      "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


      "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

      Comment


        Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
        Just because there are no English Prem clubs doesn't mean you can't have English teams in the HEC. The RFU could be invited to field a few teams.
        If English rugby had gone down the old county and regional structure, which was very popular, rather than allow the a222holes to take over the game, the english rugby team would be close to unbeatable IMHO. Pleased the chairmen, obsessed as they are with the short term, are in charge.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Eastender View Post
          BT have broadband in more houses in the UK than anyone else, that's the core market that Sky are taking off them, the sports options allows them to fight back. They are giving it away for FREE if you have their broadband... I'm one of them. They have very deep pockets, far more than setanta etc., They are not to be taken lightly, SKY aren't doing so. BT won't (yet) distribute the channel on the sky platform as that removes the incentive to come back to BT broadband.

          BT broadband is crap and expensive. Further, as an existing customer, they are not offering a free BT Vision box (which is actually a Youview Box) but rather you have to pay £49.95 for the box and about £7 for delivery. Plus, you have to upgrade to the unlimited broadband package, which is £16 quid a month.

          They might tempt back people who moved to other providers - the lure of something "free" is hard to negate - but if you look at the total cost of slow broadband + line rental + calls it is not a good deal.

          They might start dumping boxes on existing customers if the sign up rate isn't great, but certainly when I called for the parents in law last week the above "offer" was the only thing they could do for them.
          Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

          Comment


            Looks like the Setanta option in Ireland will be ideal. HD quality pictures arriving via sat. I wonder will they jack up their sub?
            Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

            Comment


              Can't afford to get a Setanta sub on top of the sky sub. I'm actually more annoyed that I'm losing ESPN America and ESPN classic on the current Sky package!

              Comment


                Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                True, and the scale of the market is linked to the quality of the competition. They've not had any luck with the LV.
                I suspect that is a big player in this, they tried to undermine the Rabo and HEC with that competition to improve their own position and it failed completely.
                \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                  It was a different competition in terms of scale and profile then, I think, and it was a one year thing.

                  It could survive English departure in terms of their clubs participation, but there'd be a lot less money in the pot for those left in without their TV audience.
                  I suspect a lot of English rugby fans would still watch even if English clubs weren't in it. The die hards attached to the very big clubs like Leicester might boycott but the fans of other clubs, general fans and general players (which attendance numbers show are the bigger part of the market) might still watch. Look at the UK numbers watch super rugby with no active interest in participants.
                  \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

                  Comment


                    The key to this is winning over the French. They couldn't give a **** about the English clubs and would have no interest in a competition that didn't include the other countries. Where's the appeal in that? It's the HEC or nothing for them, and they won't be too bothered either way.

                    The BT deal carries a lot of risk and would represent a huge gamble for the HEC or it's successor. If it fails to attract subscribers, which it will for the first couple of years at least IMO, it will hit the profile of the competition in the UK pretty hard. The Sky hype machine is required to sell it there, where the rugby audience is pretty fragmented and in many cases only interested in watching the 6Ns and the RWC.

                    The English clubs are out on a limb here.

                    Comment


                      The big draw in the UK for TV subscriptions is premiership soccer, SKY are well ahead of the curve here it will be difficult I would feel for a new kid to do well with such a small amount of soccer live to air.
                      I am one of the 5 clowns woo hoo

                      Comment


                        Here in France, the qatari BeIn Sport,
                        managed by Charles Bietry, an ancient sport anchor/journalist/producer for Canal Plus who poached a lot of C+ journalists and most of their sports ;
                        are looking more and more closely to Top14 and the future HCup rights..
                        Some might say they'd outbid and break the current deal between LNR and C+ ASAP.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                          The key to this is winning over the French. They couldn't give a **** about the English clubs and would have no interest in a competition that didn't include the other countries. Where's the appeal in that? It's the HEC or nothing for them, and they won't be too bothered either way.

                          The BT deal carries a lot of risk and would represent a huge gamble for the HEC or it's successor. If it fails to attract subscribers, which it will for the first couple of years at least IMO, it will hit the profile of the competition in the UK pretty hard. The Sky hype machine is required to sell it there, where the rugby audience is pretty fragmented and in many cases only interested in watching the 6Ns and the RWC.

                          The English clubs are out on a limb here.
                          I wouldn't underestimate the amount the French love the Irish matches. A couple of years back on a train back from not nots game, me and mate from Ulster bumped into a load of French fans on the train. This was when they'd just been smashed by England. Not a happy bunch. BUT when they found out we were Irish they were literally going "we love you Irish" and were chatting away and sharing drinks with us.
                          \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Hellboy View Post
                            Here in France, the qatari BeIn Sport,
                            managed by Charles Bietry, an ancient sport anchor/journalist/producer for Canal Plus who poached a lot of C+ journalists and most of their sports ;
                            are looking more and more closely to Top14 and the future HCup rights..
                            Some might say they'd outbid and break the current deal between LNR and C+ ASAP.
                            Interesting development. A bidding war in France means more money on the table and so might strengthen any English French alliance.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                              Interesting development. A bidding war in France means more money on the table and so might strengthen any English French alliance.
                              As EO points out though, the appeal of a comp without the Irish is not all that great to the French. Our provinces versus the likes of CA, Toulon and Toulouse are the really big draws for them.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                                As EO points out though, the appeal of a comp without the Irish is not all that great to the French. Our provinces versus the likes of CA, Toulon and Toulouse are the really big draws for them.
                                Indeed. It could work the other way where they think they need to do everything in their power to keep the cup going.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X