Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of the Heineken Cup In Doubt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is also vitally important we be nice to the Welsh and ensure they survive.

Yes, I know. It's distasteful. But needs must. We need them, and they need us, so let's back them in getting money to survive; no-one needs another Borders, because it won't help us in the long run.
    Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by Kong View Post
      Do you have a link for that FFR story, Jos?
      I scan it. Of course it's in french:

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
        It is also vitally important we be nice to the Welsh and ensure they survive.

Yes, I know. It's distasteful. But needs must. We need them, and they need us, so let's back them in getting money to survive; no-one needs another Borders, because it won't help us in the long run.
        I like the Welsh, for the most part.
        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

T78- agreed but that's a battle even dirtier than the erc one.
          Can't see WRU significantly upping direct investment without a significant shareholding of the regions in return. Equally can't see independent region owners handing that over without significant compensation for their investment. Can't see a solution in short term to that.

Comment

I agree about the Welsh but their players have been draining away for a few years now before any of this nonsense started. They don't want to play for their regions and the WRU let the horse bolt, when it didn't push hard for the national team to be picked from the regions. They have enjoyed great success over the last few years but a lot of the team are getting older and there are not the replacements coming through. Warburton's agent is in the press today saying Cardiff can't offer him a new contract etc but given how sh'te he is in a Cardiff jersey why should they offer him a new contract?

Comment

Originally posted by Jos View Post
              I scan it. Of course it's in french:
              What's French for "We're putting the band back together"?

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
                Jos, those bits from the incoming head of the FFR are DEFINITELY news!Edit: I mean, those are nuclear options. They make it highly, highly debatable if it's even worth the French clubs' time getting into that fight, because the PR of wrecking Les Bleus would be nightmarish, and would attract the wrath of the French government. And Blanco is, in effect, telling the English clubs that he, as incoming head of the FFR, is against them, root and branch.
                Not really news for us. It's been years the FFR talks to create provinces. But the FFR doesn't have enough money to do it. That's why it wants to have its own stadium. It want to be as rich as RFU. If I was Pierre Camou, I would give the six qualifying spots in H-cup for a period of 10 years to the first 6 teams that sign with the ERC. The problem would be solved in 24 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                  I like the Welsh, for the most part.
                  It's quite easy to bond with the Sundered Déise of Llanelli. Edit: and the Gwenters. But I'll be honest, biting the bullet and thinking well of the Ospreys is going to be hard.
                  Last edited by Thomond78; 30th-September-2013, 19:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Jos View Post
                    Not really news for us. It's been years the FFR talks to create provinces. But the FFR doesn't have enough money to do it. That's why it wants to have its own stadium. It want to be as rich as RFU. If I was Pierre Camou, I would give the six qualifying spots in H-cup for a period of 10 years to the first 6 teams that sign with the ERC. The problem would be solved in 24 hours.
                    Ooooooohhhh. That's twishty.

Chapeau!

Comment

Wasn't the London Welsh court case decided pretty quickly?

They needed to make the decision between LW winning promotion and the start of the season.

I assume the threat of legal action would only arise if one of both of the RFU and FFR do not provide permission for the new competition. If both of them provide permission, then I think it is unlikely the IRB would overrule them.

Essentially it seems to be up to the union to come up with the criteria they use to grant permission or not.

In the case of LW, the criteria were available and IIRC the court overturned blocking of promotion because having your own ground was one of the criteria for LW, but not existing clubs in the AP.

Even if the FFR said no, would court action still be in English courts as I think IRB regs. are under English law.

Comment

LW wasn't a court case. It was an internal RFU one that all concerned agreed to take instead of a court case for the good and sufficient reason that, as the decision recites, it would have taken ages otherwise and that was the next season for all concerned wrecked.

Edit: http://www.rfu.com/news/2012/june/ne...ull_jul12.ashx Paragraph 9.
                        Last edited by Thomond78; 30th-September-2013, 15:37.

Comment

Ah, ok, they went to arbitration for LW instead of court? They encourage people to do that before resorting to court, don't they.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Hand Hero View Post
                            The more this goes on and on, and ultimately round and round, one wonders what in gods name the PRL were thinking when they started this whole saga. It would lead me to believe that Kong's, completely hypothetical, version of events sound hypothetically extremely plausible.

It strikes me, as it has done for some time now to be perfectly honest, that the PRL are in desperate straits. As I opined after Bruce Craig's "The Rabo clubs are toast f they don't join our party" article it would strike me that it is not in fact the Union supported clubs of the Rabo that are in any immediate danger but rather the Un-supported clubs of the PRL.

I will not bore people with my fag-pack economics again but it is suffice to say that it would require a theoretical deal as outlined by Kong to save the PRL's loss-making clubs. An improvement of 50% to around £1.2Million would not even be enough as has previously been pointed out to turn these money-eaters into profitable businesses.

The stark reality that is facing the PRL clubs now is one of defeat and possible destruction of some of their members. The fact that court mutterings have been coming out with an increased frequency shows just how desperate they are. Court, as any businessman worth his salt knows, is the very last action you wish to take after every avenue has been exhausted.

The court option is just as ludicrous a the whole breakaway idea in the first place. Piquet, and others, have shown numerous reasons why it is almost bound to fail and as T78 pointed out at the very start of this thread the IRB are already a considerable distance on the way to owning the IP rights to rugby around the globe.

The french are still the unknowns but it would seem increasingly likely they will, probably begrudingly, step back into line with some form of sweetner thrown in. On the subject of the European Commission investigating football clubs for inproprieties in their dealings with local municipalities one could imagine that Toulon, Toulouse etc etc would not want any extra scrutiny into their dealings.

I remember Ryanair having to give back a serious amount of Euro's 5-8 years ago when his sweetheart deals with regional goverments and their airports fell foul of the EU.
                            I think the PRL were trying to bluff the rest in Europe by making it seem as if they held all the aces when really the French hold most of them. There's a air of jealousy almost as well from the English because for many the CL is a better league than the Premiership. Over the last five years the quality has been higher in the Rabo and the games have generally been better. I still feel they are playing a waiting game on the English and French rugby unions.
                            He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by mikerob View Post
                              Ah, ok, they went to arbitration for LW instead of court? They encourage people to do that before resorting to court, don't they.
                              Mediation, not arbitration.

Which is, in fact, exactly what's been suggested, and what has been rejected.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                                And unless anyone is unaware, Wray owns Dominos pizzas
                                Refused to eat Dominos pizzas since the disgusting hospitality at Saracens.
                                Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. (Marcus Aurelius, 121-189 AD)

Comment

Working...
                                X