Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of the Heineken Cup In Doubt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evil Omer View Post
    So an English club director says the HEC is dead because.,...... well because basically they don't make more money out of it. English rugby is a disgrace. The number of times they've rigged the premiership to stop the successful 2nd tier side being promoted, on the basis of rules that existing EPL clubs don't meet, is a disgrace. All they are interested in is money for themselves. They batter the RFU for money. They batter the HEC for money. They want more from this, more from that. It's a joke. And let's be honest here, not the first time the English have sold a rugby tournament they don't have the rights to. Don't forget they were technically kicked out of the 5N for doing just that. This is total self interest. They don't like the fact their teams don't fit in with their propaganda that the weak Celts are beneath them. It does seriously get up their noses, hence the constant excuse making that they have to play more games, they have to play harder, they are so unfairly treated, the rest of the rugby world is stopping them achieving their rightful place as masters of the universe. And to be honest the French just like to have a good sulk every now and then - I think any suggestion the 2 of them are actually on the same side on this could be shown up very quickly.
    If the Rabo gave HEC places based on finishing positions and only got the same money as the Top14/Aviva I'm sure there would be no worries.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiedub View Post
      If the Rabo gave HEC places based on finishing positions and only got the same money as the Top14/Aviva I'm sure there would be no worries.
      I think it would seem ok til the English realised that the same sides, especially Leinster and Munster, would still be coming out of the Rabo and would still be beating their sides. That's the biggest problem, they cannot fathom the dominance of Irish rugby on HEC for so many years and have constantly tried to find "the Irish have an easy ride" answers to it.
      \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

http://www.joe.ie/entertainment/tele...ge-in-ireland/

Interesting develoment as Setanta is on the Sky Platform here in Ireland.
        Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
        Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

HD too! :D

Setanta Sports has announced that from August 1, the BT Sports channels, including ESPN, will join the Setanta Sports pack.
          The deal, which will see BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN become available to Setanta Sports subscribers on satellite in the Republic of Ireland, brings an additional 38 Barclays Premier League matches, including 18 top pick games, to the broadcaster’s existing 33 games.
          Other top sport includes the FA Cup, Scottish Premier League, Bundesliga, Aviva Premiership and UFC.
          BT Sport acquired the UK and Ireland rights to 38 Barclays Premier League games including 28 Saturday games at 12:45. A total of 18 of these games are top pick games meaning that BT Sport has the right to choose the highest profile fixtures. This is the first time that these top pick games won’t be on Sky Sports.
          Earlier this year BT acquired the rights to the ESPN channel in the UK and Ireland. The deal means that Setanta Sports subscribers will receive all BT Sport and ESPN’s live premium content including:
          38 Barclays Premier League games
          French Ligue 1
          25 FA Cup games
          Italian Serie A
          30 Scottish Premier League games
          10 Scottish Football League
          69 Aviva Premiership Rugby games
          Brasileiro Série A
          Bundesliga
          Moto GP
          Major League Soccer
          21 Live WTA tennis events
          30 Live UFC events
          French Top 14 Rugby
          This superb content will sit alongside Setanta’s existing portfolio of sport including 33 Live Barclays Premier League games at 3pm on Saturdays, Live Allianz Leagues GAA, Formula 1, Champions League, Europa League, NHL, NASCAR, League of Ireland and live horseracing.
          “This content is a real game changer for Setanta,” Setanta Sports’ Marketing Operations Director, Brian Quinn said.
          “It’s not just going from 33 to 71 Premier League games that is exciting, it is the massive step-up in the quality of games that will really make the difference for our customers.
          “The new games from BT include 18 top pick matches meaning that we will have top of the table clashes between the leading teams. Also, having the channels available to our customers in HD is a great addition.”
          Marc Watson, CEO of TV for BT added: “We are delighted that Setanta Sports will be distributing BT Sport in the Republic of Ireland. Ireland is a very important market for us and we are confident that Setanta can do a great job establishing the BT Sport brand with Irish sports fans.
          “BT Sport offers some of the very best live football and rugby action. We’ve signed up some of the world’s biggest football stars, like Gareth Bale and Rio Ferdinand, as well as top presenters, such as Jake Humphrey, Lawrence Dallaglio and Clare Balding, to make BT Sport unmissable for sports fans.
          “With Setanta’s existing content, we think BT Sport and Setanta sports will be a winning combination.”
          The new channels launch on Sky on August 1st. To subscribe to Setanta Sports on sky visit www.setanta.com/ie/gamechanger for more information or call Setanta on 0818 20 30 40. Further details of the Setanta Pack on cable and broadband will be released before Aug 1st.
          Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
          Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

How is it the English think they're in the driving seat for running the competition?

How many finalists have they had in the past few years? Since our last win they have featured 3 times from a possible 12. You would think they dominate it. Frankly they have noting like the draw of the 3 provinces and almost all french teams. They have as much to lose as anyone.

There is an issue with the second Italian team being a disgrace, and sometimes the Scots have let themselves down. There will have to be change to the qualifying.

Interesting that he mentioned revenue split, obviously there is a motive to get more cash AND neuter their competition for signing players. By pulling cash from the Rabo teams they will find it easier to compete for players.

I expect the cash will end up being split 30:30:40(rabo), and there being 2 less Rabo teams in it 6:6:8. That would be fair and logical, but then that guy comes across as a gob****e.

Comment

Pony,

They're in the driving seat because they bring by far the largest domestic TV market, and the money in the competition is essentially TV money.
              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

RWU, SRU, IRFU, RFU, FFR & the FIR will all have a say before the ink can dry on any deal.
                If the English clubs want to exclude celtic and Italian sides from international club competition then why can't the shoe be on the other foot when it comes to the other international competitions like the Six Nations?
                Last edited by rathbaner; 24th-June-2013, 22:02.
                Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                  RWU, SRU, IRFU, RFU, FFR & the FIR will all have a say before the ink can dry on any deal.
                  If the English clubs want to exclude celtic and Italian sides from international club competition then why can't the show be on the other foot when it comes to the other international competitions like the Six Nations?
                  Bring back the five nations without England. That would sort out a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                    Pony,

They're in the driving seat because they bring by far the largest domestic TV market, and the money in the competition is essentially TV money.
                    Have they? France is a bigger market. England is very regionalised for rugby. They also have poorer typical attendances than the French and Irish. This is supported by their top teams like Sara's and Quins being in 10k stadia and not filling for average games. I know they occasionally go to Wembley etc but they don't sell they out and they are glamour ties.

I know their domestic TV deal is worth more, but hopefully Sky will put the boot in to the Rabo to ensure the best players don't sit it out. Of the 3 groupings I think the English are the only ones that the HEC could survive without.

Comment

Originally posted by Pony View Post
                      Have they? France is a bigger market. England is very regionalised for rugby. They also have poorer typical attendances than the French and Irish. This is supported by their top teams like Sara's and Quins being in 10k stadia and not filling for average games. I know they occasionally go to Wembley etc but they don't sell they out and they are glamour ties.

I know their domestic TV deal is worth more, but hopefully Sky will put the boot in to the Rabo to ensure the best players don't sit it out. Of the 3 groupings I think the English are the only ones that the HEC could survive without.
                      I'm not sure how you're measuring market, but it's the domestic TV market that matters. That's the money that funds the central pot, from which Ireland receives significantly more than it puts in.

The HEC can't work without English participation.
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I'm not sure how you're measuring market, but it's the domestic TV market that matters. That's the money that funds the central pot, from which Ireland receives significantly more than it puts in.

fly in the ointment there though, the domestic market in England includes the likes of me and you watching to watch an Irish side not an English side. England may have the biggest market but that doesn't guarantee they're all English. Whereas you can pretty guarantee the like of 99% of Irish, Welsh and Scots markets are from there.
                        \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Omer View Post
                          fly in the ointment there though, the domestic market in England includes the likes of me and you watching to watch an Irish side not an English side. England may have the biggest market but that doesn't guarantee they're all English. Whereas you can pretty guarantee the like of 99% of Irish, Welsh and Scots markets are from there.
                          True, and the scale of the market is linked to the quality of the competition. They've not had any luck with the LV.

Comment

The HEC did survive without English participation in 1998/99 (I think - the year Ulster won). Maybe the money distribution was different then. Maybe the HEC could survive without the English OR the French, but not both at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by anno12 View Post
                              The HEC did survive without English participation in 1998/99 (I think - the year Ulster won). Maybe the money distribution was different then. Maybe the HEC could survive without the English OR the French, but not both at the same time?
                              It was a different competition in terms of scale and profile then, I think, and it was a one year thing.

It could survive English departure in terms of their clubs participation, but there'd be a lot less money in the pot for those left in without their TV audience.

Comment

It was a different competition in terms of scale and profile then, I think, and it was a one year thing.

It could survive English departure in terms of their clubs participation, but there'd be a lot less money in the pot for those left in without their TV audience.
                                True enough

Comment

Working...
                                X