Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of the Heineken Cup In Doubt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was fun while it lasted.

Hopefully we will get another few years out of it.

Comment

"This could include an Anglo-French tournament, an extended Aviva Premiership or even games against South African provinces."

Note: NOT a new European competition. Which is what they signed up to deliver to BT in return for that cash. And they currently have nothing. Interesting.
      Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Wheeler is full of sh1t in my opinion.

Comment

"Resolute resolve", eh? I'm sh1tting it, not!

Comment

Isn't there a meeting this week, or next.

This is just another shot across the bows.

Comment

Probably. More end of agreement sabre rattling.

If the English and French did decide to pull out however.........

p.s. The tv situation needs resolving too. BT Vision have a very limited market presence and Premiership Rugby can't effectvely "go underground". BT Vision won't sign up many new subscribers in these financially straightened times, so their massive investment looks dodgy.

Sky have the whip hand, and hopefully will do some sort of a deal with BT Vision.
              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

The Premiership's vision for the tournament is so painfully narrow and parochial that it wouldn't deserve the name European Cup. If anything, the H Cup should be expanding, not contracting. Bring in teams from Romania, Georgia, Spain and Portugal and give them a proper share of the funding, instead of the current Amlin arrangement which effectively condemns them to bankruptcy for taking part. Make it 32 teams instead of 24, and take the short-term hit to quality for the sake of the greater spread of the game.

Comment

Call their bluff I say. The English/French think the Pro 12 unions will cave in. They might be right but I don't think they will cave in. I'd say the pro 12 unions would be willing to spend a year without the HEC and organise some more international matches to make up some of the shortfall.

It won't be all bad if theres no HEC. It means stronger Rabo teams and more rest for the top players before the world cup.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                    Call their bluff I say. The English/French think the Pro 12 unions will cave in. They might be right but I don't think they will cave in. I'd say the pro 12 unions would be willing to spend a year without the HEC and organise some more international matches to make up some of the shortfall.

It won't be all bad if theres no HEC. It means stronger Rabo teams and more rest for the top players before the world cup.
                    Agree with you, but is there any danger players may consider leaving/not joining Rabo teams because they want to play in what they may perceive as a higher status competition?

Comment

Originally posted by anno12 View Post
                      Agree with you, but is there any danger players may consider leaving/not joining Rabo teams because they want to play in what they may perceive as a higher status competition?
                      In the long run it would depend on the money. Not being in the HEC means less money but thinking outside the box, they would have less need for such big squads and if they're playing better players in the rabo they would get more fans, sponsorship money etc from that. Maybe play another couple of international matches a year then to make up more of the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
                        Probably. More end of agreement sabre rattling.

If the English and French did decide to pull out however.........

p.s. The tv situation needs resolving too. BT Vision have a very limited market presence and Premiership Rugby can't effectvely "go underground". BT Vision won't sign up many new subscribers in these financially straightened times, so their massive investment looks dodgy.

Sky have the whip hand, and hopefully will do some sort of a deal with BT Vision.
                        BT have broadband in more houses in the UK than anyone else, that's the core market that Sky are taking off them, the sports options allows them to fight back. They are giving it away for FREE if you have their broadband... I'm one of them. They have very deep pockets, far more than setanta etc., They are not to be taken lightly, SKY aren't doing so. BT won't (yet) distribute the channel on the sky platform as that removes the incentive to come back to BT broadband.
                        Offside Ref! He's being doing it all day

Comment

Originally posted by Eastender View Post
                          BT have broadband in more houses in the UK than anyone else, that's the core market that Sky are taking off them, the sports options allows them to fight back. They are giving it away for FREE if you have their broadband... I'm one of them. They have very deep pockets, far more than setanta etc., They are not to be taken lightly, SKY aren't doing so. BT won't (yet) distribute the channel on the sky platform as that removes the incentive to come back to BT broadband.
                          Not correct,if you don't have BT broadband you can subscribe to BT 12quid a month and it will be delivered through SKY platform.I was asking them last week.BT broadband plus phones is an expensive option in relation to competition. My broadband was with o2, but they have recently sold it to sky.But I still get Bb and unlimited phones calls including Europe for less than BT want to charge.Arrogant Fekkers.
                          Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. (Marcus Aurelius, 121-189 AD)

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                            In the long run it would depend on the money. Not being in the HEC means less money but thinking outside the box, they would have less need for such big squads and if they're playing better players in the rabo they would get more fans, sponsorship money etc from that. Maybe play another couple of international matches a year then to make up more of the difference.
                            True, and it would be great if it works out like that! Hopefully too, even if the Aviva/French teams did decide to try something else - it might become apparent fairly quickly that its not as good without the Rabo teams...

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
                              "This could include an Anglo-French tournament, an extended Aviva Premiership or even games against South African provinces."

Note: NOT a new European competition. Which is what they signed up to deliver to BT in return for that cash. And they currently have nothing. Interesting.
                              In fact, they have "worse" than nothing. On one view they will be in breach of contract with BT if they fail to provide a "European" competition and on the other "if" they do a deal with ERC then either (I) they will be in breach of contract with BT because ERC has already sold the TV rights to Sky or (II) ERC will be in breach to Sky if they back down and allow the PRL/BT deal to be performed.

Potentially interesting legal situation when one factors in the side issue between PRL and RFU over whether or not PRL has the right to sell the European rights to anyone.

To contractually tie yourself into a position before any negotiation has taken place is foolish IMO.

Comment

So an English club director says the HEC is dead because.,...... well because basically they don't make more money out of it. English rugby is a disgrace. The number of times they've rigged the premiership to stop the successful 2nd tier side being promoted, on the basis of rules that existing EPL clubs don't meet, is a disgrace. All they are interested in is money for themselves. They batter the RFU for money. They batter the HEC for money. They want more from this, more from that. It's a joke. And let's be honest here, not the first time the English have sold a rugby tournament they don't have the rights to. Don't forget they were technically kicked out of the 5N for doing just that. This is total self interest. They don't like the fact their teams don't fit in with their propaganda that the weak Celts are beneath them. It does seriously get up their noses, hence the constant excuse making that they have to play more games, they have to play harder, they are so unfairly treated, the rest of the rugby world is stopping them achieving their rightful place as masters of the universe. And to be honest the French just like to have a good sulk every now and then - I think any suggestion the 2 of them are actually on the same side on this could be shown up very quickly.
                                \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Working...
                                X