Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of the Heineken Cup In Doubt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddytheman View Post
    I know the point you're making and I agree with most of it. I don't quite agree with your comparison. Twickenham is a stone's throw from the Stoop while the Aviva is slightly further away from Thomond Park.

In hindsight, if they realised that Munster fans would "nick" their tickets anyway, they might have moved it to Twickenham and fitted a few more of their own fans in!
    They wanted to keep it in their ground, in front of their fans. I don't think the distance was the issue. I think it was a statement of ambition, to be honest. They effectively said "we're looking to win this tournament, not cash in on one big gate".

All their fans were at the Stoop. There were no more coming along if they'd moved to Twickenham - just a chunk of neutrals and rake more of us.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
      They wanted to keep it in their ground, in front of their fans. I don't think the distance was the issue. I think it was a statement of ambition, to be honest. They effectively said "we're looking to win this tournament, not cash in on one big gate".

All their fans were at the Stoop. There were no more coming along if they'd moved to Twickenham - just a chunk of neutrals and rake more of us.
      I wouldn't blame them for that. The reasoning was solid, and rugby-based.

That it didn't quite account for our tendency to treat acquiring opposition tickets as the opening shots of the battle isn't their fault. :p
      Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by at henry View Post
        I meant it in jest, and at McCafferty's expense. Didn't mean any offence.
        No bother, none tanken.

Comment

All their fans were at the Stoop.
          The same fans they all but accused of being traitors after the game.
          Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

I agree - but clubs like Quins then cant say the HEC is no good for us because we're not making enough money out of it. They could have made a lot more than the 400K C'OS mentioned and its not the ERC's/HEC's fault that they didn't. It was their own choice.

Comment

Another small point - but the English & French clubs have been going on and on about how the irish system (players being rested etc etc) gives them an (unfair) advantage. Given the spending habits of the Toulons/sarries/similar wannabes, how many of them would choose the other restrictions that come as part of that package - ie effectively one NIQ across all 4 provinces for each position. Many think Munster could do with another fly-half - too bad, we cant get one. The full picture is different to the bits the PRL/LNR have chosen to focus on.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                It's not so straight forward though.

If the PRL AND the LNR go, then we simply have a Pro12 Cup comp and while I'd watch it, it's not the HEC. Anyway I'm not sure Sky would want such a comp given they've already got the Pro12 in the bag.

Legally it would mean that Sky could come in on the side of the angels but would they?

There's no doubt it's a sticky wicket for McCafferty and his clowns but if they got the LNR on side and sprung the Welsh regions then would the RFU/FFR/IRB block it? I don't think they would though they might demand some safeguards for the unions.

And of course SANZAR may yet have a role in all this.
                SANZAR, SARU, South African Clubs, SA businessmen with rugby backgrounds (name two without) are always trotted out as the elephant in the room but they are always a red herring. When the English media were lobbying hard to dump the 5N and creat a new 5N with SANZAR it died the same ignominious death. The reality is the English are always being greedy and they hate being seen on the same level as mere Celts and Italians; it offends them.
                an old work colleague of mine (an Englishman btw) once said 'If the English can't run it they run it down'. How true.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                  The same fans they all but accused of being traitors after the game.
                  True, but if, say, 500 supporters club members sold on their tickets for a home QF to english fans we'd be breaking out the tar and feathers.
                  "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by RichardP View Post
                    SANZAR, SARU, South African Clubs, SA businessmen with rugby backgrounds (name two without) are always trotted out as the elephant in the room but they are always a red herring. When the English media were lobbying hard to dump the 5N and creat a new 5N with SANZAR it died the same ignominious death. The reality is the English are always being greedy and they hate being seen on the same level as mere Celts and Italians; it offends them.
                    an old work colleague of mine (an Englishman btw) once said 'If the English can't run it they run it down'. How true.
                    I think we should be careful about running down an entire nation on the basis of the PRL's actions. There is a lack of understanding on behalf of a lot of english rugby fans primarily because of the complete absence of an alternative 'line' being put forward by the media. Unsurprisingly people are reading things they see in the Guardian, Times, Indepedent...all papers of half decent repute who have essentially rehashed a PRL press-release as fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Hand Hero View Post
                      I think we should be careful about running down an entire nation on the basis of the PRL's actions. There is a lack of understanding on behalf of a lot of english rugby fans primarily because of the complete absence of an alternative 'line' being put forward by the media. Unsurprisingly people are reading things they see in the Guardian, Times, Indepedent...all papers of half decent repute who have essentially rehashed a PRL press-release as fact.
                      Very good point RHH, most English rugby supporters care almost exclusively about the fortunes of the white orcs. When I have explained to English friends what these gobsh*tes are really trying to do and that they are being fed naked propaganda of a Geoebbels like nature they realise that if PRL get their way it could have grave consequences for the England team. I am astonished that the left leaning Independent or Guardian have not picked up on this aspect of the whole business. EDIT I actually think that if PRL get their way the international game could be heading the way of the Dodo.
                      Last edited by the plastic paddy; 23-September-2013, 14:35.

Comment

[QUOTE=Paddytheman;1276091]I know the point you're making and I agree with most of it. I don't quite agree with your comparison. Twickenham is a stone's throw from the Stoop while the Aviva is slightly further away from Thomond Park.

well now, it depends on who is throwing that stone, we are starting in Limerick, I'd say you'd get a fair way up the M7
                        Offside Ref! He's being doing it all day

Comment

Agreed, don't let's be beastly to the Brits.
                          Last edited by rathbaner; 23-September-2013, 15:33.
                          Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

The trademark "Rugby Champions Cup" was filed for registration on 21 Jun 13. The applicant was a London law firm.

PRL registered the domains rugbychampionscup.com and .net on 11 Sep 13.

The don't appear to have a twitter account @rugbychampionscup yet if someone wants to grab that and have some fun with it...:D

Comment

And here are the details:

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/4/EU011923547

I swear to God, the purblind arrogance of these numpties, that they think no-one will find out what they're up to...
                              Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Hmmm, "rugbychampionscup" seems to be too long. But rugbychampcup isn't! :D

Shame that some lucky person seems to have taken it already, ditto "rugbychampscup".
                                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Working...
                                X