Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of the Heineken Cup In Doubt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Future of the Heineken Cup In Doubt?

I came across this this morning and haven't seen this discussed anywhere here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013...ken-cup-future

The English and French clubs want to reduce the tournament to twenty teams with the top six from the Top 14 and the Premiership qualifying automatically along with the top four in the Rabo. Of the remaining four spaces, two would go to the two highest placed, non-qualifying teams from each union in the Rabo to ensure that every union is represented in the competition and one each to the winner of th eHeineken and the Amlin Cups. As things stand the Celtic unions have rejected these proposals and the English and French have set a deadline of June for things to be resolved.

So next season could be the last for the Heineken Cup as we know it?! I for one sincerely hope not.

Originally posted by red4life View Post

The English and French clubs want to reduce the tournament to twenty teams with the top six from the Top 14 and the Premiership qualifying automatically along with the top four in the Rabo. Of the remaining four spaces, two would go to the two highest placed, non-qualifying teams from each union in the Rabo to ensure that every union is represented in the competition and one each to the winner of th eHeineken and the Amlin Cups. As things stand the Celtic unions have rejected these proposals and the English and French have set a deadline of June for things to be resolved.

So next season could be the last for the Heineken Cup as we know it?! I for one sincerely hope not.
    there was an interview with nigel wray owner of saracens in the times last week in which he said there may not be a Heineken for a year or two until the celtic nations get there act together...

Comment

This seems to happens every year recently, here's the thread from last August on it

http://www.munsterfans.com/threads/3...m-Heineken-Cup
      Marty in the Morning

Comment

Tell them shove it up in their hole? Why only 20 teams?
        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by red4life View Post

That's very nice of them to set a deadline for us aul Celts, very nice of them indeed!
          James Lovelock - "Enjoy life while you can. Because if you're lucky it's going to be 20 years before it hits the fan."

Comment

I think folks are underestimating how big this issue is getting. This isn't a whinge and cry problem that will go away. The English / French Orgs are standing very firm on this. The team no's but also in the English case the TV rights. They seem to be adamant about their sale to BT.

As it stands now, next year is the last H Cup Comp.
            Last edited by Corcíoch; 30th-April-2013, 18:29.

Comment

Heineken might have a big say in all this yet?
              I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
                I think folks are underestimating how big this issue is getting. This isn't a whinge and cry problem that will go away. The English / French Orgs are standing very firm on this. The team no's but also in the English case the TV rights. They seem to be adamant about their sale to BT.

it stands now, next year is the last H Cup Comp.
                Heard that BT may be trying to get the RSA clubs involved in their competition, if the Celts/Italianos play hardball. Makes sense in terms of timezone, if not in terms of distance. Would also undermine theSuper 15, but it seems nothing's sacred when money talks.

Comment

Makes my f'cking blood boil. As usual the English want something for nothing and everyone else can feck off if it gets in the way of their wishes. This would be a disaster for the game in Scotland and Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                    Makes my f'cking blood boil. As usual the English want something for nothing and everyone else can feck off if it gets in the way of their wishes. This would be a disaster for the game in Scotland and Italy.
                    Apsrt from the Irish, the P12 is a shambles. The Welsh seem happy to have all their players in France and England. How many players are actualluy there for next at Scarlets. The fact Wales now have two clubs in the FA Premiership should be another if not final nail in the Regions coffin. Glasgow and Treviso have done well this season, but attendances are still pretty woeful. The less said about Embra and Zebre, the better. This has been one of the worst P12 seaosn that I can remember in terms of the standard of rugby. Next year will be even worse. European rugby needs a massive overhaul. The problem is that the guys in charge are short-term opportunists or delusional sugar-daddies.

Comment

A modest proposal...

How about this...

24 teams:
                      England stay on 6
                      France up 1 to 7
                      Rabo down 1 to 9
                      +2 (AC & HC champs)

Rabo to be decided as follows: top 1 from each union qualifies, the other 5 qualify based on league position.

We might get France on-side with this one - would wind up the Premiership money men if nothing else.
                      "There are a lot of other key decision makers who must agree with your plan."
                      Johan Erasmus

Comment

So,
                        6 teams from England, possibly up to 8 depending on who wins the previous years competitions.
                        6 teams from France, possibly up to 8 depending on who wins the previous years competitions.
                        6 places left for 4 countries? That doesn't add up.

If the top 4 in the rabo is made up of, say, 3 Irish teams and 1 Welsh team then Scotland and Italy only get 1 pity spot each.
                        What if, on the rare occasion then, that the 4 Irish teams or the 4 Welsh teams finish in the top 4 places? This then means that 1 of the other 3 unions get no place in the HCup.

If they want to make changes to the cup, make it bigger. Otherwise tell them to take their ball and go home. Time to resurrect the Rainbow Cup idea that was doing the rounds 7 or 8 years ago again I think

Comment

24. Seven T14, 7 AP (don't deserve it), 7 Rabo (min 1/country), winner, winner Amlin, and a round-robin play-off between the next up in each league for the last slot while the respective playoffs are on.

The problem is, Wray, Wheeler et al signed a deal for European rugby with BT that they had no right to sign. They have no option but to deliver it, or crash it all and hope that gets them out.

Wheeler, btw, signed off on the BT deal for a new tournament as a director of the AP while also a director of ERC. I'd love to see the ODCE's take on that.
                          Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
                            24. Seven T14, 7 AP (don't deserve it), 7 Rabo (min 1/country), winner, winner Amlin, and a round-robin play-off between the next up in each league for the last slot while the respective playoffs are on.

The problem is, Wray, Wheeler et al signed a deal for European rugby with BT that they had no right to sign. They have no option but to deliver it, or crash it all and hope that gets them out.

Wheeler, btw, signed off on the BT deal for a new tournament as a director of the AP while also a director of ERC. I'd love to see the ODCE's take on that.
                            Has anyone seen the legal facts on the TV rights do you know T78??

The Premiership clubs seem adamant that they are entitled to do what they did . . . .

I wonder do they have a leg to stand on????

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
                              Has anyone seen the legal facts on the TV rights do you know T78??

The Premiership clubs seem adamant that they are entitled to do what they did . . . .

I wonder do they have a leg to stand on????
                              The RFU confirmed PRL didn't have the prior written approval necessary under IRB Regulations to sell the rights as they did. Problem is, led by that gob****e from Saracens, they look willing to shut down all European rugby as their escape route.
                              Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Working...
                              X