No announcement yet.

Sexton signs 2 yr deal with Racing Metro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In fairness...i know mchief and i believe his intentions on posting this are genuine...and id believe he was told it....after that who knows...wouldn't be surprised either with IRFU .
    "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Have always up to now, considered Sexton an unlikeable, petulant bollix, point in case, kicking Mafi in the head, his ragging on Rog etc etc, he has a face made for slapping. That said was full of admiration for the guy yesterday, the tackle on Faletau was absolute top drawer. Well played that man
      Con Artist

Comment

Originally posted by Valencia View Post
        Have always up to now, considered Sexton an unlikeable, petulant bollix, point in case, kicking Mafi in the head, his ragging on Rog etc etc, he has a face made for slapping. That said was full of admiration for the guy yesterday, the tackle on Faletau was absolute top drawer. Well played that man
        Just like Lord O'Gara
        A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Valencia View Post
          He stopped Phil Lynnot like a boss. Putting both feet against the base of the pad was inspired. Used it as a buttress, and blocked thin lizzy from placing or touching the ball on the pad. Split second decision that was pure skill and class.
          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by masterchief View Post
            I spoke to someone from Mary's today, he'd be a mate of JS10's dad. Anyway the bottom line according to what I heard is the IRFU lost him to France over €50k, JS10 was pitching for €500k and willing to settle for €450k. The IRFU wouldn't budge from €400k.

Interesting side note, a number of individuals in Mary's apparently offered to make up the €50k difference.
            If the difference was only 50k, I wonder what the difference between playing for Leinster and Racing is for non-rugby earnings ie. sponsorships deals? I would have thought he'd have loads of sponsors as a "Linstir ligind" and people would be buying him pints until he was 90. I presume his agent has done the calculations on non-rugby income and the damage if any to his long term earnings potential.

On the subject of his play, he was very good on Saturday both offensively and defensively but my main question mark over him is, and always has been, his ability to control a match. Ireland needed that in the second half but he didn't provide any control or respite (albeit with very limited possession).

There was one time when we got a free kick off a scrum and someone (Healsip or Sexton presumably) opted for a Garryowen. Personnaly I thought this was a poor decision. Would have preferred to see them run it, take a little steam out of Welsh momentum, run down the YC clock a little and play a little bit in their half.

Comment

Originally posted by Armin Tamzarian View Post
              If the difference was only 50k, I wonder what the difference between playing for Leinster and Racing is for non-rugby earnings ie. sponsorships deals? I would have thought he'd have loads of sponsors as a "Linstir ligind" and people would be buying him pints until he was 90. I presume his agent has done the calculations on non-rugby income and the damage if any to his long term earnings potential.

On the subject of his play, he was very good on Saturday both offensively and defensively but my main question mark over him is, and always has been, his ability to control a match. Ireland needed that in the second half but he didn't provide any control or respite (albeit with very limited possession).

There was one time when we got a free kick off a scrum and someone (Healsip or Sexton presumably) opted for a Garryowen. Personnaly I thought this was a poor decision. Would have preferred to see them run it, take a little steam out of Welsh momentum, run down the YC clock a little and play a little bit in their half.
              Or kick the ball the ball safely into touch? To be fair the Welsh were very accurate in their targeting of Gilroy in the kicking duels (not a criticism of the young Ulsterman BTW). Don't think the English will be quite that bright. One question I have from the weekend is whether Kearney's back issue has affected his confidence and range kicking out of hand? He used to have a booming great boot but I can't remember him kicking much on saturday. However, I have not had time to watch the game back yet so don't quote me.

Comment

Not sure Kearney collected a whole lot of ball deep. He looked a little rusty to me at times, which is understandable. I'd expect to improve as the 6N goes. The "failed) sliding attempt to collect a kick in the 2nd half comes to mind.

Comment

I think Kearney may have suffered by comparison. He was good; it's just his opposite number was outstanding.
                  Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
                    I think Kearney may have suffered by comparison. He was good; it's just his opposite number was outstanding.
                    Kearney has hardly played all season as well.

Comment

Originally posted by barleys chinos View Post
                      What has sexton done at international level to require a wage of 750,000 euros.
                      He is a fine player that cant be argued with but his Irish record is average to poor.

The market for OHs aint in Irl or UK, it is in France, there was a caption on BBC coverage where they listed the foreign OHs and it was quite revealing, particularly in the light of Michelak's recall, the French market was also able to put together a deal which took Carter to Perpignan, didnt work out to injury, but the finacials were there to be seen.

There is not really an intl market for OHs, it seems to be French only and then at Sexton's level confined to 3/4 teams.

Wilko is said to make more money on endorsments than from his playing contract, whilst Sexton does not have the same public exposure, he is the incoming Lions OH and needs more exposure than Irl to boost his earnings potential, for example has Paris got a bigger population than Irl.

Comment

Even if there was 50k between the 2 offers,don't forget the IRFU still have to pay him as well when he plays.

Comment

Linkage

L'Equipe: Jonathan Sexton formally signs for Racing Metro

French newspaper L’Equipe is reporting that Ireland out-half Jonathan Sexton has formally signed with Racing Metro.
                          L’Equipe, quoting a source close to Racing Metro, says the deal signed today is worth €600k a year over two years, with an additional year option.
                          Sexton was linked with Racing Metro at the end of January, when it was revealed that he had declined to sign a new contract with the IRFU.
                          It was subsequently reported that he had signed a pre-contract deal with the Parisian club.
                          Today's report of €600,00 a year is €150,000 below the figure the three-time Heineken Cup winner was widely reported to have signed for a few weeks ago.
                          Sexton suffered a hamstring injury 30 minutes into Ireland’s RBS 6 Nations defeat to England and will miss Ireland’s clash with Scotland this weekend.
                          The 27-year-old's participation in Ireland’s final two Six Nations games against France and Italy is also in doubt.
                          The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Did the Irfu press release cost him 150k?

Comment

Makes the move look even more peculiar.

Comment

not really... house... porsche... earings... other bits will add up to the total ..

best of luck to the guy... paris for a few years, new language and a new challenge... perfect...
                                He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X