Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike McCarthy moves to Leinster

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugb...r-3324104.html

Just wondering would he have been a good signing for us , not sure at 31 but what does everyone else think

No, we have plenty of second rows already
    My computer thinks I'm gay
    What's the difference anyway
    When all the people do all day
    Is stare into a phone

Comment

We don't need McCarthy but we should tap up McSharry and Henshaw.
      It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

I'm disgusted with this, same goes for us when we took Keatley. Look what has happened to Hagan and Carr since they went up there. It is tough enough being a Munster fan at times, it must be absolutely maddening to be a Connacht fan. And just because they may be used to it doesn't make it right.
        Con Artist

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic View Post
          We don't need McCarthy but we should tap up McSharry and Henshaw.
          Dineen and Barnes are still around lest we forget.
          clowns

Comment

Originally posted by barleys chinos View Post
            Dineen and Barnes are still around lest we forget.
            I'm joking, I think it's poor enough form on the IRFU's part to let this deal go through.
            It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

If POC had announced his retirement already I am sure Munster would have been interested and would have looked to get the IRFU to use the offer of a central contract to get him down South. Leinster have been after him for over 2 years, McCarthy only turned them down 2 years ago because he was concerned he would be warming the bench with Hines/Cullen in situ.

Massive signing for Leinster, they have signed a hot Ireland international in his prime to cover the only area that needed strengthening, references to Hines and Thorn will now be resigned to history. McCarthy will eliminate any perceived soft centre in their locks. Look out the rest!

Comment

Originally posted by Valencia View Post
                I'm disgusted with this, same goes for us when we took Keatley. Look what has happened to Hagan and Carr since they went up there. It is tough enough being a Munster fan at times, it must be absolutely maddening to be a Connacht fan. And just because they may be used to it doesn't make it right.
                I would agree that it is wrong for Connachts best players to warm benches at other provinces but McCarthy will be a regular and has every right to try and realise his full potential wherever he wants. Clubs are free to let players go when contracts expire, why can't players chose to move when contracts expire. I dont believe McCarthy is on a central contract (yet) so this move was decided by the player. If POC had already announced his retirement would too many Munster supportors be unhappy had Munster signed McCarthy as a replacement.
                Last edited by SlamChamps09; 12th-December-2012, 14:37.

Comment

Originally posted by tickettout
                  The IRFU should replace him with Tommy Hayes.

Move from captaining an English side who are doing well in their league, will most likely be playing HEC rugby for the next few years at least, take a pay cut and still not got considered for Irish selection?

Why on earth would he move to Connacht?

Are there no tall people in Dubland?

Comment

Originally posted by Thorns View Post
                    Are there no tall people in Dubland?
                    Not as many all right - the west seems to have a far higher proportion of taller folks judging by the girls I've met.
                    The system is dead! Long live the process!

Comment

Why should the IRFU block the move? Leinster came in and offered him a deal, he liked it and took it. Apparently Connacht offered to match Leinster's offer (money and length of contract) and he still chose to move. What's the big deal? He'll be a starter for Leinster no doubt. The issue is when they take players like Carr...
                      \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
                      Dalai Lama

Comment

I wonder if he would have stayed if there was a central contract on the table. DOC and Paulie have theirs until 2014, and presumably DR is next in line, so it's unlikely there'd be a fourth CC up for grabs in the second-row.

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                          judging by the girls I've met.
                          Speaking of which, there doesn't seem to be many Hookers in Leinster either..........

Comment

Originally posted by déiseman View Post
                            Speaking of which, there doesn't seem to be many Hookers in Leinster either..........
                            Apparently the biggest influx of hookers into the country actually comes during the Fiann Fail Ard Fheis
                            The system is dead! Long live the process!

Comment

Originally posted by SlamChamps09 View Post
                              If POC had already announced his retirement would too many Munster supportors be unhappy had Munster signed McCarthy as a replacement.
                              POC has played for Munster about twice the last year and we now seem to be able to cope without him. McCarthy wouldn't see as much game time at Munster as he would have had with Leinster (Ryan, DOC, DOC2, Nagle, Holland, Donnellan).

Flannery's future was in doubt and Munster didn't look to brining Cronin back.

Comment

Working...
                              X