Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    Take that knife from our side you heathen :_sad__rvmp_by_bad_b
    Sure joke is on Wales. When the rankings actually mattered we were in third tier territory.
    The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Originally posted by the plastic paddy
    Gwan the Welsh

Comment

Originally posted by Huwie View Post
      Sure joke is on Wales. When the rankings actually mattered we were in third tier territory.
      There's a smeagol over in murdershutville licking a computer monitor at this moment and tis well you know it
      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
        There's a smeagol over in murdershutville licking a computer monitor at this moment and tis well you know it
        Have you been getting texts from beyond the black gates of Mordor Tydfil??
        The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Gwan the Welsh

Comment

I came across this story of a club match in Wales played 100 years ago to raise money after a major mining disaster. Wasn't surewhere to post it:

A rugby match staged 100 years ago to raise money for the families of 439 victims of the UK's worst mining disaster has been replayed in Powys.

Christ College Brecon took on Crickhowell RFC but this time the teams were raising money for a memorial marking the miners' deaths.
          A methane explosion ripped through Universal Colliery in Senghenydd in the Aber valley on 14 October, 1913.

Eleven days later the charity game raised about £800 in today's money.

Money raised from Saturday's fixture between the independent school and a youth team from Crickhowell will go towards the national mining memorial, which is to be unveiled on the 100th anniversary of the Senghenydd disaster next month

The memorial will commemorate 150 mining disasters, including Gleision in the Swansea Valley, where four men died in 2011.
          Mal Powell, Crickhowell RFC's historian, approached Christ College about replaying the game to mark the centenary.
          "I had come across the 1913 match during my own research," Mr Powell said.
          "In Crickhowell RFC archives we hold a copy of the letter sent to the Lord Mayor of Cardiff enclosing the donation of £7 3s 2d to the Senghenydd Relief Fund, which is about £800 in today's money.

"When I approached Christ College with the idea of a return match Tim Trumper, director of sport, was hugely enthusiastic and it all went from there."

Jack Humphreys, chairman of the Aber Valley Heritage Group which is behind the national mining memorial, said: "The game between these two sides 100 years ago generated much needed funds for the families whose relatives died in the Universal College explosion.
          "This return fixture marking the centenary of the Senghenydd mining disaster is a fitting tribute and we're pleased to have the support of both teams once again."
          Head teacher at Christ College Emma Taylor said it was a great pleasure to welcome players and supporters from around the region to Christ College for the special match.
          "The event will obviously be tinged with the sadness that inevitably attends such memorials, and it is right that we pause and remember those miners who lost their lives and the tragic impact on their community," she added.
          "At the same time this match will offer a celebration of the pride, tradition and camaraderie that reside almost uniquely in the game of rugby and I hope that the game will provide great enjoyment both for those who play and those who watch."

The original fixture was played less than a year before the start of World War I and Mr Powell said members of the Crickhowell team served in the war but survived.

However, four of Christ College's 1913 team died

Click image for larger version

Name:	_69960053_christcollegexv25thoctober1913.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	2477940

Crickhowell won the game 100 years ago, 9-6. It turned out to be significant because it was the only fixture the team won all season, said Mr Powell.

A century on, Christ College got their revenge with a 29-5 victory
          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
            A century on, Christ College got their revenge with a 29-5 victory
            You have to admire people who wait 100 years for vengeance. There's something very Irish about that.

Comment

Very Munster at least!
              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Huwie View Post
                http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbyna...rugby:20121217

WRU chiefs propose artificial pitch for Millennium Stadium

Here we go..

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/r...-pitch-6377046

WRU plan £3.3m hybrid pitch for Millennium Stadium in bid to bring Champions League final or Euro 2020 to Wales
                Last edited by Huwie; 5th-December-2013, 18:52.

Gwan the Welsh

Comment

I appreciate this confidence...

http://m.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/30267626
                  He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

a lorra people upset over john lacey's reffing on saturday.
                    That card against SA for the aerial challenge was embarrasing.

Comment

I missed the game... my allowance for international rugby viewing is limited to the official IRB windows.. I must have a root around for some highlights...
                      He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Gwladers sliding off their seats this morning

WRU chief Lewis to step down after World Cup

http://www.espn.co.uk/wales/rugby/st...ml?CMP=OTC-RSS

Gwan the Welsh

Comment

I wonder will Moffat rear his head again...

Comment

So.., 1 Welsh team make it to Champions Cup Rugby next season....

Is there that much a difference between the Irish and Welsh clubs?
                            Obviously Connacht threw a spanner in the works, but whats happened with the Ospreys?

Delighted for Scarlets..

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wales_sad.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	2574116

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
                                So.., 1 Welsh team make it to Champions Cup Rugby next season....

Is there that much a difference between the Irish and Welsh clubs?
                                Obviously Connacht threw a spanner in the works, but whats happened with the Ospreys?

Delighted for Scarlets..
                                Yep there is, as there always has been.

Comment

Working...
                                X