• Show
Clear All

Sir Humph to stay one final year

<h2>Humph aiming to go out with a bang for Ulster</h2>

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

By Gavin Mairs

<div ="deck">

David Humphreys will play on for one more season at Ravenhill - and the
    Ulster legend believes it could be the province's best ever yet. The 35-year-old has signed a one-year extension to his current contract but
    has confirmed it will be his last, making the 2007/08 season the last
    chapter of a glorious career.

With
    heir apparent Paddy Wallace set to miss the first seven weeks of next season
    as part of Ireland's World Cup squad in France, Humphreys will remain as the
    province's first choice out-half for the start of the province's Magners
    League campaign. Wallace is then
    expected to get his big chance when he returns, with Humphreys relinquishing
    the No 10 jersey which, apart from a brief sojourn to London Irish, has been
    his for over a decade.

With Scotland star Rob Dewey and his
    international team-mate Simon Danielli set to join the Ravenhill ranks and
    Italian lock Carlo-Antonio Del Favo on his way, Humphreys has high hopes for
    next season. "When I signed
    last year there was a chance that I would stay on for another season and I
    am very happy to play on for another year as cover for Paddy," said
    Humphreys. "This is the last
    contract, definitely, but I will be giving it everything I have got. I have
    thought about retiring a number of times over the last few years but I am
    now coming to the stage when next season will definitely be my last. At the same time I am really looking forward to it.
    I still believe the squad that we have here is capable of competing at the
    very highest level both in Europe and obviously as we have done in the
    Celtic League. And with the
    signings that Ulster have made I am looking forward to finishing off the
    best Ulster season."

Ulster
    coach Mark McCall paid tribute to his talisman and believes there could yet
    be one final twist to what has been a wonderful career. "David remains a key player and key member of the Ulster squad not just
    for what he produces on the pitch but just the personality that he is and
    the enthusiasm he still brings to training," said McCall. "He is right up there with anybody who comes onto
    our training pitch in terms of doing extra work and doing it with a smile on
    his face and bringing the best out of others which for someone of his age is
    absolutely incredible."

</div>

Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
    http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

What is it about the word Glorious in the North, I can almost see two old congers greeting each other on the street with 'Glorious Morning'and later bidding adieu with Glorious night
    Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Its just cheerier than the rest of the Island.[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Another season of Wallace at 12 or on the bench no doubt. Great news for Ireland [img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]
        My computer thinks I'm gay
        What's the difference anyway
        When all the people do all day
        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

Another season of Wallace at 12 or on the bench no doubt. Great news for Ireland [img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]

that was my first thought as well
          The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
          - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

No i don't think that'swhat it means, it just means we have someone to play 10 for Ulster during the WC when Wallace will be sitting on the bench for Ireland, after that i'd be disapointed if Wallace was starting at out half for Ulster.

Comment

Rumour is Humpty the Great Waver will throw his scrum cap once more into the ring for France 2007

Comment

I was fairly sure that Davy had rejected the Idea of France 2007 at a recent URSC event (though I wasn't there to hear it myself)

At the URSC AGM McCall confirmed that he expected Davy to start while Paddy was away at the RWC and seemed to agree that Paddy was likely to start at 10 thereafter - but that last bit might have been open to interpretation.

Comment

Originally posted by pwrmoore

I was fairly sure that Davy had rejected the Idea of France 2007 at a recent URSC event (though I wasn't there to hear it myself)

At the URSC AGM McCall confirmed that he expected Davy to start while Paddy was away at the RWC and seemed to agree that Paddy was likely to start at 10 thereafter - but that last bit might have been open to interpretation.

IfWallace doesn't start after that, then it would be madness. He is either good enough or he isn't. If he isn't then Ulster need to be looking elsewhere now.

Comment

Originally posted by pwrmoore

In other words when it comes to the big games typical Irish conservatism will make the decision and Davey will get the nod.[img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]
                    My computer thinks I'm gay
                    What's the difference anyway
                    When all the people do all day
                    Is stare into a phone

Comment

I'm sure one of the toughest aspects of a coach's job is dropping a
                      player but I just wonder how objective McCall is when it comes to
                      dealing with his "old mates" on the team like Humph and Dawson.

They all go back a long time...

Comment

As long as they dont plan to play him too much,it could be a good move on their part....I really think they should have looked at getting his younger brother back,who Id rate above Wallace at 10.
                        Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

From what i've seen Ian Humphreys can't kick or tackle. So no.

Comment

Working...
                          X