MUNSTER SCHOOL’S FINAL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MUNSTER SCHOOL’S FINAL

just though id get the ball roling whos going to win the schools cupon mondaychristians or pres black or red

Having seen Christians play a number of times this season, they seem to have a lucky knack. I think they've played each other twice this season and it stands at one all.

I wonder is Parfrey back for CBC, he looked a class act before going off injured in the SF. John Ryan at loosehead is a fine aggressive player though he tends to take the ball on once too often sometimes, when it is crying to be left out.

Comment

I heard Parfrey is out for 6-9 months! Cruciate.
      Our rugby team has a province!

Comment

I doubt they're all munters. There must be one or two who are at least "homely"

Comment

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
          <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
          http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
          </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

Comment

Originally posted by Rockey
            I heard Parfrey is out for 6-9 months! Cruciate.

That's a shame.

Comment

[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img], good old Farrelly !

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><T>
              <T>
              <TR>
              <TD background=/images/tile3.jpg>Schools medal worth nothing in real world</TD></TR>
              <TR>
              <TD>Friday March 16th 2007</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

THOSE who find the annual 'isn't it great to be Irish', Olé, Olé, Olé-dom of the Cheltenham Festival to be on the cod liver oil side of nauseating are likely to feel equally queasy about the self-regarding nature of schools rugby.

The level of coverage given to this form of the game defies belief and must invoke attitudes of deep resentment among other sports that receive nothing like the same exposure when it comes to underage activities.

It is an easy genre to lampoon but mockery here would merely be a karaoke version of a song that has long been expertly performed elsewhere, particularly when there is a grim aspect to this topic that needs to be aired.

For, while schools rugby is an all-consuming affair for the participants, the levels of pressure and expectation involved rarely result in anything other than acute disappointment.

And, in an era when rugby is now a career option for deluded schoolboys, the consequences can be disastrous.

Aspiration

The American Football high-school saga Friday Night Lights (based on a true story) is a lesson in how far one can fall when aspiration and achievement fail to collide.

Cork schools, PBC and CBC (who clash in the Munster Senior Schools Cup final on Monday), constitute probably the most intense rivalry there is in Irish schools rugby.

Having featured in four cup clashes between those Leeside bastions of fee-paying education, it is impossible to dismiss the intensity of the occasion.

None of those Musgrave Park contests (one was a gripping 0-0, nip-and-tuck, affair) was played out before a crowd of under 5,000.

Players became objects of desire for the local media, not to mention fawning, fake-tanned schoolgirls (it was hard to tell which was the more unsettling), while schoolmates, and even teachers, fell over themselves in their efforts to accommodate their school's standard-bearers.

Intoxicating? Undoubtedly, yet a completely unrealistic preparation for life thereafter.

And, of the 50-odd youngsters involved in those games, only a handful went on to play adult rugby at a level remotely approaching their adolescent fantasies.

In those days, rugby was seen as a passage to respectable employment - the old-boys' network and school tie were critical leg-ups when it came to obtaining the 'secure, pensionable job' every mother craved for their little darling.

But, in the professional era, with rugby stars the icons every schoolboy wishes to emulate, the bar has been raised.

When it comes to peddling false dreams, rugby schools, realising that on-field success is their greatest marketing tool, are utterly ruthless.

Advancement

Numerous players (some running out in Rome tomorrow) have been lured to fee-paying schools in their early teens on the promise of all-expenses-paid, rugby-fuelled advancement.

So be it, but for every future international there are a multitude of spotlight-blinded schoolboys who end up staggering down the path to disillusionment when rugby fails them and they have no academic fallback.

Several years ago, UCC's rugby club was forced to alter its eligibility rules to include CIT students after it emerged that the best players from PBC and CBC were not getting enough points for entry to Cork's oldest university. [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Then there is the story - which could be dismissed as apocryphal were it not

Comment

People from Cork called ugly @@@@SPAN style="font-style: italic;">and @@@@/SPAN>thick in the space of a single thread[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cahill
                  People from Cork called ugly @@@@SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic">and @@@@/SPAN>thick in the space of a single thread[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

He's talking about Pres and Christians ! Years ago Pres had to limit the number of outsiderscoming in, as against their Primary school, because the Primary school boys were failing to get in to the secondary school. A neighbour of mine was virtually illiterate in Pres primary. More money than sense [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Rubbish on both counts. I went to Pres Primary and that was never the case.And as a point of information almost 2/3 of our cup team went to UCC and wewon the cup. Kidney wasalways an advocate of study.

And Farrely is just bitter at not having actually won a cup....

Originally posted by Point

Originally posted by Dave Cahill
                    People from Cork called ugly @@@@SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic">and @@@@/SPAN>thick in the space of a single thread[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

He's talking about Pres and Christians ! Years ago Pres had to limit the number of outsiderscoming in, as against their Primary school, because the Primary school boys were failing to get in to the secondary school. A neighbour of mine was virtually illiterate in Pres primary. More money than sense [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by legend99

Rubbish on both counts. I went to Pres Primary and that was never the case.And as a point of information almost 2/3 of our cup team went to UCC and wewon the cup. Kidney wasalways an advocate of study.

Not true, in 1978 (I think for a couple of years after that), they brought in an "only 10 outsiders rule" because there were Pres Primary kids were not getting into Pres Secondary, and the Mammies and Diaddies were kicking up that they were paying for their sons in the Primaryschooland were not guaranteed entry to secondary.I myself missed out because of that. If I had gone into Pres 6th class the year before, I'd have walked into the secondary. Then again, I probably wouldn't have the career I have today, so I'm happy on that score. On your second point,most of the higher achievers, at that time, came from outside primary schools. How I know that, is both my brothers went to Pres secondary.

Comment

MSSC result

FT : PBC 13 3 CBC

HT : PBC 10 3 CBC

Comment

I'd say Melia should be for the high jump in CBC. His impact subs policy finally came back and bit him on the backside. There were 3 players on the bench who were better than those playing in the team but Melia had this k-razee "impact players" idea of holding them back until the second half [img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img].

Pres took their chances well (2 tries in the first half and a fine penalty in the second), and did their traditional/effective closing out of the game for the last 20 mins.

Comment

anything amazing happen today or was it just the usual boring old munster cup rugby? IMO this comp is dreadfull.
                            ANY MANS FINEST HOUR, HIS GREATEST FULFILMENT OF ALL HE HOLDS DEAR, IS THE MOMENT WHEN HE HAS WORKED HIS HEART OUT IN A GOOD CAUSE AND LIES EXHAUSTED ON THE FIELD OF BATTLE – VICTORIOUS.

Comment

Originally posted by Munster-4-Life

anything amazing happen today or was it just the usual boring old munster cup rugby? IMO this comp is dreadfull.

Fairly poor tbh, not that Pres will care !

Comment

Working...
                              X