No announcement yet.

HEC / Amlin Games thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw most of it. Leicester turned up the heat and Ulster couldn't respond, basically...

Comment

Not too many winning bonus points so far this season.
      Tigers & Toulouse only on 8 points that makes a change?
      Scarlets and Enbra leading leaders with 9.
      Also Treviso keeping others honest.
      The second tier PRO12 teams doing v well and adding a new aspect.. Its going to be interesting..

Comment

Originally posted by 3Crowns3Stars View Post
        Saw most of it. Leicester turned up the heat and Ulster couldn't respond, basically...
        Agree, it was a finely balanced game for the first 50 or so and then Leicester found another gear, becoming more resolute in defence. Plus while he did a lot right over the course of the game, iHumph missed an important penalty kick that would have kept them level, and followed that up a short while later with a really poor attempted touchfinder from which Tigers managed to score a try. One or two Ulster heads dropped for a while after that and they never really looked like breaking back into the game, despite heroics from the likes of Fez, Best and Trimble in particular.
        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
          Agree, it was a finely balanced game for the first 50 or so and then Leicester found another gear, becoming more resolute in defence. Plus while he did a lot right over the course of the game, iHumph missed an important penalty kick that would have kept them level, and followed that up a short while later with a really poor attempted touchfinder from which Tigers managed to score a try. One or two Ulster heads dropped for a while after that and they never really looked like breaking back into the game, despite heroics from the likes of Fez, Best and Trimble in particular.
          How did their imports do? Notice you only mentioned the local lads.
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
            How did their imports do? Notice you only mentioned the local lads.
            Muller bossed the lineouts as he often does and Wannenberg carried well. Danielli was poor at 15 though. They were the only imports on show.

Another local lad to show up well was Darren Cave, he's a class act IMO. I hope Deccie was watching.

As for the game itself, well we should have got a point from it but Zi'm afraid Humphreys was found wanting in the second half.

Comment

Yeah, I reckon that's a fair assessment. Overall they just weren't able to cope with the speed & power of the Tigers at the breakdown - Fez too often making a run with little support, or support arriving just a bit too late. Gilroy showed well and I thought Marshall was fantastic in the first half - less noticeable perhaps in the second. Can't say I felt Henry was all that effective - not for lack of effort necessarily, just not capable enough on the day. Danielli as mentioned wasn't great. Spence has also probably had better games too IMO and more use could/should have been made of Cave, who looked threatening when he got the chance. Tuohy carried into contact a lot as well, usually making a couple of yards. But the Tigers' scrum managed to get the upper hand eventually, which contributed to their overall dominance. It's odd, I can't think of an awful lot that Ulster did wrong overall apart from what I mentioned already, and it seems a bit unfair to blame the result on Humphreys when he did a lot of good stuff too (including scoring penalties from inside his own half). But if it hadn't been for those two incidents, the final scoreline would have been 15-12 instead of 20-9. Tigers were simply able to defend much more ferociously once they had a decent lead, and Youngs made a difference for them when he came on.
              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

We really lack an O/S. Compare the speed of the Tigers ball to ours. Henry will do a specific job at 7 but he isn't the link man we need there.

Comment

Big game for Ulster tomorrow. Did any of the results help them tonight?

Comment

Working...
                  X