No announcement yet.

saracens to play HEC game in south africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get new fans. Disenfranchise existing fans. It's a win win.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by busbi View Post
      Also, if we want to grow a European Rugby competition, i would have thought the continent which it's named after might be a better place to start.
      Fair point, but the end of the day money talks and South Africa is the biggest established rugby market outside of the home unions. Moreover, there are a large number of Saffas currently plying their trade with overseas teams and so there is an immediate point of relevance for local supporters.
      "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude abides.
      "Forwards win matches. Backs decide by how much." - DK

Comment

Originally posted by stickman_sa View Post
        Fair point, but the end of the day money talks and South Africa is the biggest established rugby market outside of the home unions. Moreover, there are a large number of Saffas currently plying their trade with overseas teams and so there is an immediate point of relevance for local supporters.
        South Africa might be a rugby market, but it has Currie Cup, Super 15 and the Saffers. ERC is not going to compete with that in any meaningful way. I'd prefer the massive potential for a rugby market in Europe tapped into. I'm not going to expect moral decisions on the future of the game from any club, but it's something the ERC and IRB should be dictating.

I think what has most people on edge about this though is the complete and utter hijacking of a well established 125 year old rugby club.

Comment

Cape Town U-turn from Saracens

17th November 2011 16:58

Saracens have scrapped plans to play their home Heineken Cup fixture with Biarritz in Cape Town and have now moved the game back to London.
          Mark McCall's side travel to Biarritz this weekend for the second match of their European season, having opened it with a strong win over Treviso.
          "Now that all discussions between various stakeholders have been concluded, Saracens has decided the Heineken Cup match against Biarritz on Saturday January 14 will be played not in Cape Town, but in London," said a statement.
          "The innovative English champion club was eager to host the first Heineken Cup match ever played outside Europe, to stage a special, spectacular rugby event and to project brilliant images of Cape Town and European rugby around the world.
          "However, we have no wish to be a catalyst for conflict between the City of Cape Town and the Western Province Rugby Union.
          "Saracens looks forward to playing a competitive match in Cape Town as soon as local circumstances allow.
          "Supporters who have bought tickets in South Africa will be fully refunded by Computicket, and Saracens will engage with UK-based supporters who have already booked air tickets and accommodation and ensure they are appropriately compensated."
          http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2...313499,00.html

Comment

What's that? A group of South African rugby administrators proving proving equal measures spiteful and incompetent? Well, I will be surprised!

Naaaaaaaaat.

What a bunch of twats they all are. I grew up a stone's throw away from Newlands Stadium, fond memories, blah blah ... but it really is a terrible stadium by modern standards. 1950's communist stylings, with transport a total nightmare for anyone outside a 2km radius.

This decision will come back to bite the Western Province RFU. I'm rather glad to see local press and public are hurling abuse in their general direction. (This being among the most amusing.) Judging by the amount of press that this decision alone has generated, the game would have been a big success in both financial and branding terms.

What a pity.
            Last edited by stickman_sa; 18th-November-2011, 09:17. Reason: typo
            "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude abides.
            "Forwards win matches. Backs decide by how much." - DK

Comment

Originally posted by stickman_sa View Post
              What's that? A group of South African rugby administrators proving proving equal measures spiteful and incompetent? Well, I will be surprised!

Naaaaaaaaat.

What a bunch of twats they all are. I grew up a stone's throw away from Newlands Stadium, fond memories, blah blah ... but it really is a terrible stadium by modern standards. 1950's communist stylings, with transport a total nightmare for anyone outside a 2km radius.

This decision will come back to bite the Western Province RFU. I'm rather to see local press and public are hurling abuse in their general direction. (This being among the most amusing.) Judging by the amount of press that this decision alone has generated, the game would have been a big success in both financial and branding terms.

What a pity.
              Kind of ties into my previous post a bit though? If you need the home unions/unions co operation to take a chunk of what is effectively their customer base you won't go far.

Comment

http://www.planetrugby.co.uk/story/0...387912,00.html

Saracens still going to Cape Town

20th December 2011 07:37

2010/11 Aviva Premiership champions Saracens are still heading to Cape Town next month despite cancelling their scheduled Heineken Cup match.

Saracens were scheduled to play Biarritz at Cape Town Stadium on January 14 but the Western Province Rugby Union (WPRU) insisted that the match must be played at Newlands instead.

This led to an argument between the WPRU and the Cape Town City Council, who wanted the match to take place at the Cape Town Stadium, which eventually prompted Saracens to move the fixture back to the Northern Hemisphere.

However, Sarries had already bought their plane tickets to Cape Town and will now travel with an extended squad to conduct a training camp.

Their second team, the Storm, will play a friendly match against Stellenbosch University's side the Maties who will use the fixture as preparation for South Africa's Varsity Cup competition.

"It's not an official match," Maties coach Chean Roux told Die Burger newspaper.

"Saracens have bought their flight tickets and will therefore come and practice in the Cape.

"Fifteen other players will also come along, who will play as the Storm against us.

"We will provide the replacements," added Roux.
                He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Working...
                X