Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saracens to play HEC game in south africa

Saracens likely to stage Heineken Cup game against Biarritz in Cape Town
    Saracens, the English champions, are in negotiations to stage their Heineken Cup pool match against Biarritz next January in Cape Town, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

Exporting the brand: Premiership champions Saracens hope to showcase their winning rugby in Cape TownBy Gavin Mairs
    10:30PM BST 21 Jul 2011

The ground-breaking move has yet to receive official sanction from the tournament organisers, the European Rugby Cup, the Rugby Football Union or the South African Rugby Fooball Union, but it is understood that none of the three bodies is opposed to the concept.

Saracens are due to face Biarritz, who lost the 2010 Heineken Cup final to Toulouse, at Vicarage Road on the weekend of Jan 13-15.
    However, it is understood the RFU has received a request to stage the game in the South African city, either at Newlands stadium or the Cape Town Stadium, which was constructed for the 2010 football World Cup.

Edward Griffiths, the Saracens chief executive, confirmed last night that the north London club were exploring the options to stage the game in Cape Town, having already committed to hosting their Heineken Cup match against the Ospreys in December at Wembley.

“The idea of playing one of our Heineken Cup matches in Cape Town has been mooted, and it is appealing in many ways, but our first obligation is to protect the interests of our supporters,” Griffiths said. “We have made contact with ERC, the RFU and SA Rugby, but we are primarily engaged with our season-ticket holders to explore how, either by compensation or other means, we can make this work for them.

“On a broader level we are a genetically innovative club and, with the permission of ERC and the respective unions, the sponsors and other stakeholders, we would be eager to showcase the strengths of top-class European rugby on a grand southern hemisphere stage. It’s an increasingly small world.”

Saracens, who earlier this month announced the signing of Springboks captain John Smit, will be meeting with representatives from ERC, the RFU and the SARFU in the next three weeks, with a decision expected within a month.

Biarritz are also understood to be keen on the proposal.

Saracens also hope to satisfy the tournament broadcasters, Sky Sports, by staging the game at 7pm local time, 6pm UK time, on Jan 14.

Saracens are optimistic the plan will be given the green light by the RFU board after Wasps were granted permission last season to play their LV Cup match against Harlequins in Abu Dhabi.

Saracens’ Heineken Cup match against Clermont Auvergne at Vicarage Road last season attracted a crowd of less than 6,000, while the projected attendance for a match stage in Cape Town is over 30,000.

Meanwhile, England’s top clubs have stated that they hope to be consulted by candidates standing for the vacant position of RFU chairman in the wake of the fallout following the sacking of John Steele as chief executive.

The clubs completed a two-day conference in Birmingham yesterday and Premiership Rugby chairman Quentin Smith said they were “ready to help” following the events at Twickenham.

“We would expect prospective candidates for the RFU chairman position to meet with us to discuss the issues for the professional game. We shall now channel this through the Professional Game Board,” Smith said

the match is scheduled for january. Saracens made the request to the RFU and it has yet to be sanctioned. This is already after agreeing to play Ospreys in Wembley.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rug...ub/8653339/Sar acens-likely-to-stage-Heineken-Cup-game-against-Biarritz-in- Cape-Town.html

I'm against the idea personally, It's more than likely gonna pi** off supporters and I c

The Wasps v Quins game was to promote rugby in the middle
    east. South Africa doesn't need NH rugby to be promoted me
    thinks. As for the fans, it is perfect time for a holiday as its
    their summer but if only 6000 can drag themselves to a
    match i think support will be very sparse down there. Bad ida
    all round.

Comment

This is just ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by russo
        The Wasps v Quins game was to promote rugby in the middle
        east. South Africa doesn't need NH rugby to be promoted me
        thinks. As for the fans, it is perfect time for a holiday as its
        their summer but if only 6000 can drag themselves to a
        match i think support will be very sparse down there. Bad ida
        all round.

More about promoting the Sarries brand in SA, I think. They're still set on being London South African, I think. Players switiching forward and back, ex pat crowds and all the rest is their model for the future.

They'd be better served by not being in Watford if they want to make that work though.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

"On a broader level we are a genetically innovative club"

Eh? WTF does that mean?
          The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
          - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

I have no issue with this,

once they agree to provide every season ticket holder with free flights, transfers and accommodation from Heathrow that is...
            \"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane\"

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979

Eh? WTF does that mean?

They're trying to cross breed Brits with a racehorse.
              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

someone in Limerick recently tried something similar....
                The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by Colliniho

I have no issue with this,

once they agree to provide every season ticket holder with free flights, transfers and accommodation from Heathrow that is...
                  Is membership still open [img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]
                  To the lazy, everything is impossible. To the brave, nothing is impossible.

Comment

It's a disgrace. No consideration for season ticket holders. I was hoping last yeas jaunt to Dubai was a once off.
                    "This was the performance Ireland had been threatening all championship but had only managed to produce in fits and starts. Defeats at the hands of France and Wales had put paid to their title aspirations, never mind a Grand Slam, but yesterday’s emphatic 24-8 win shows that this is a team moving in the right direction."

The Irish Times after Ireland beat England at Lansdowne Road on 19/03/11

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy
                      Originally posted by Upfront_1979

Eh? WTF does that mean?

They're trying to cross breed Brits with a racehorse.
                      I know this one....... A pitbull... right..?

I'd agree that this move might be a snub in the faces of the supporters...... Its obvious that they will try and maximise their support already by moving towards the Saffers in SW London anyway.... which could annoy the present supporters even more....

where historically were the Saracens fans from anyway, have they always been a North London team...??
                      As London Irish had to conform to supplying players for England to receive money from the RFU, I can't see the RFU allowing this team be anything else but a supplier of players for England either....

How close are the SARU and the RFU..??

Can't see the RFU liking this, and I also can not see it being anything as exciting as the Crusaders Sharks expo Twickenham displayed earlier this summer.... Saracens Biarritz..??

ps... loved to be proved wrong....
                      He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

ILC - They've traditionally been Enfield/Southgate/Cockfosters sort of way. I think their amateur club is still up there.

Comment

This is load of cock
                          Comment

I hope they do it so they then realise how stupid an idea it is .

Comment

Projected attendance is 30,000 [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

I think they based their numbers on asking 100 people and
                              one person said they were 9% sure they would go to it [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]
                              The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

Working...
                              X