The 1995 World Cup Semi South Africa Vs F

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 1995 World Cup Semi South Africa Vs F

Reading the thread 'Saffies on the up ' i thought back to the World Cup in South Africa in 1995 and remember how lucky South Africa were to beat France in the Semi Final when the French should have been awarded a penalty try at the end of the game which would have won the game for France ...Derek Bevan the Welsh referee did not award France the Penalty try ...Do any of you remember what happened in the last moments of that game

Originally posted by Cool - Cat
    Reading the thread 'Saffies on the up ' i thought
    back to the World Cup in South Africa in 1995 and remember how lucky
    South Africa were to beat France in the Semi Final when the French
    should have been awarded a penalty try at the end of the game which
    would have won the game for France ...*Derek Bevan the Welsh referee
    did not award France the Penalty try* ...Do any of you remember what
    happened in the last moments of that game
    Louis Luyt nipped out to the nearest chemist.
    Comment

Come on some of you must remember the game

Comment

Ref blew the final whistle?
        Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

If I remember correctly the game was nearly called off due to torrential rain, France were camped on the SAfrica line pushing for a try but Bevan wouldn't give them anything.

Comment

From memory it was repeated dropped mauls from SA that led to calls for a peno try.

Frnace were camped on SA line for a good 15 minutes, with repeated scrums, lineouts & mauls for France in torrential rain that SA kept foiling one way or the other. I think in the finish France got nothing for all that pressure and possession and a number of Bevan's decisions were called into question.

This all came into sharp focus about 6 months later when the president of the SA RFU, a bit of a renegade whose name won't come to me right now,presented Bevan with a diamond and gold watch, worth an absolute mint,from the SA RFU. This was supposedly forreffing the WC final I think but it was hugely frowned upon at the time, nonetheless I am not sure did Bevan ever return the same bribe, oh sorry, gift. The whole thing stank and with the food poisoning of the ABs in the final (who had reinvented the game as a running game at that tournament) it all left for a very bad after taste after the SA WC win.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

I canremember the dreadful rain, the sodden pitch and a feeling of intense rage at the end of the game that the unfortunate French had been robbed blind. I can't remember much else about the game, tbh- but I recall that Thierry Lacroix was kicking that afternoon.
              New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Working...
              X