• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eddie O’Sullivan for Edinburgh ??

could be a good signing for them
    <DIV>Eddie O'Sullivan throws hat in ring for Edinburgh
    By IAIN MORRISON</DIV>
    <DIV>
    One former national coach worked wonders for the club and Edinburgh are hoping that another might repeat Andy Robinson's success. Former Ireland coach Eddie O'Sullivan has thrown his hat into the ring for the post of Edinburgh boss and he is scheduled for an interview later this week. Since he is based in the USA, and was watching rugby in Boston yesterday, it's not clear whether the Irishman will show up in person or conduct his interview electronically through the magic of Skype.
    O'Sullivan is currently head coach of the USA Eagles but his contract only runs until the close of the upcoming World Cup and he is widely understood to be keen to return to Europe.

Rob Moffat was shown the door at the end of January with Scottish Rugby Union chief executive Gordon McKie blaming "results" on his demise. At the time Edinburgh had played 14 and won six but since then stories have emerged which indicate a breakdown in the relationship between Moffat and his employers at the SRU.

Moffat denied requests from the national team management group regarding access to players on several occasions and that, as much as results, was behind his demise. Whoever takes the job on a long-term basis may want to get the ground rules sorted out before they sign on the dotted line rather than risk a repeat of what happened to the last man in the hot seat.

Nick Scrivener is the interim coach and, while he came over all Greta Garbo last week when asked for a brief chat on the phone, he did confirm through an intermediary that he had applied for the Edinburgh post on a permanent basis. Scrivener spent eight years on the Brumbies' back-up staff, he has coached the reserve teams of Australia and Scotland and he obviously fancies trying his hand at the top job for a change.

However Murrayfield is faced with a tricky problem in that Scrivener's results have been notably worse than Moffat's were, albeit the Aussie has been hampered by national squad call-ups during the Six Nations.

His poor results haven't deterred some high-profile figures from head-hunting Scrivener, though. The Brumbies were reportedly after his signature to replace Andy Friend, who was recently deposed by player power just two matches into the Super Rugby season.

That story may have been a figment of the media's imagination but there was another, more credible, story that had Robbie Deans offering Scrivener a place on the Wallaby coaching staff ahead of the World Cup and, if the former Crusader coach isn't a world authority on the game, he'll do as a handy substitute until one comes along.

Scrivener faces tough competition for the Edinburgh job from a former Brumbies buddy who knows him well from their time in Canberra. With his long grey hair and beard, Laurie Fisher cuts an unmistakable figure, like the love child of Jerry Garcia and Worzel Gummidge, so it was an odd move to make him wait in the glass-walled reception area at Murrayfield in the busy build-up to the Italy game, where he was immediately recognised. Fisher has been working as Munster forwards coach these last three years but his contract is not being renewed at the end of the season. He may hope to land the job as Edinburgh forwards coach if fellow Australian Scrivener gets the top job on a permanent basis, although Tom Smith may have something to say about that. He is not the only one. Peter Wright also applied for the top job but realistically the Hawks boss is also looking at the forwards post if there is a shake-up at the top of the coaching tree. Whoever ends up with the forwards role, the blindingly obvious thing to do is to give Gregor Townsend the job of coaching Edinburgh's backs rather than have him work exclusively for the national side for a few months a year on a full-time salary. He desperately needs to roll his sleeves up, earn his stripes and learn his trade by coaching full time at club level... not that anyone is betting o
    The people of Munster - it's almost the Nation of Munster - it gave me shivers to see how they were supported today and that people will travel like that.
    - Guy Noves, Toulouse Coach
    26 Apr 2003

He's heavily linked to Wasps too afaik. Don't care what anyone says, he'd be a very good signing...
    \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
    Dalai Lama

Comment

On Gaffney writer above claims....."He was also head coach of Munster for several highly-successful years.
      He has forgotten more about back play than most coaches have ever
      imagined and he is the sort of experienced and knowledgeable figure who
      would give Townsend good guidance".

[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

\"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
      Dalai Lama

Comment

give them gaffney now.
        The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
        - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by John123
          He's heavily linked to Wasps too afaik. Don't care what anyone says, he'd be a very good signing...

agree 100%, WASPS would be a good move for him. Big club in a rut at the moment. Wathced them yday, they were very very poor. Think Edwards has jumped the Shark. His game plan hasnt moved on since he first came into union.

Comment

I'm in one of those binds again. It simply isn't feasible that Gaffney has pulled the wool over the eyes of player after player and coach after coach.

He is regularly hailed as a top backs coach by all and sundry. What am I missing? I mean, we might disagree with the argument his proponents would make, but does anyone know what the argument is?
            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy
              I'm in one of those binds again. It simply isn't feasible that Gaffney has pulled the wool over the eyes of player after player and coach after coach.

He is regularly hailed as a top backs coach by all and sundry. What am I missing? I mean, we might disagree with the argument his proponents would make, but does anyone know what the argument is?

Franno &amp; Matt Williams had this argument on the breakdown the other day. Williams reckoned a visionary with unmatched knowledge of the game and back play in particular (I think they are both Ranwick clubmates) and Franno reckoned a codger whos time was up (I am paraphrasing!)

I would value Williams opinion and he has likely had far more expereince of dealing with him but in this case its hard to see. Franno made the point that waht would 6 months with Schmidt do for the Irish backline pre WC. I would tend to agree.

Comment

He's back!!!! Reported on RTE news this morning. Cooderlinked with Edinburgh after World Cup. Gaffers and the Hippy also linked with thejob.

Comment

O'Sullivan in running for role of coach at Sale Sharks
                  By Hugh Farrelly

Friday January 06 2012
                  SALE SHARKS are the latest club to be linked with former Irish coach Eddie O'Sullivan.

The English Premiership side announced this week that director of sport Steve Diamond would take up chief executive duties on February 1, and O'Sullivan has contacted Sale, through his manager, to declare his availability for a role in the club should it become available.

The short-term plan is for Diamond to combine the two positions of chief executive and director, with Tony Hanks continuing as head coach, but with the club planning a major drive, built around their chief executive, to become the "rugby hub of England's north west" that situation could change.

O'Sullivan, who finished a two-and-a-half-year stint with the US Eagles after the World Cup, has also declared his interest in a position with the Ospreys following their director of rugby Scott Johnson's announcement that he would be joining Scotland's coaching team at the end of the season.

That interest was declared formally to Ospreys chief operating officer Andrew Hore, who says a decision has yet to be made on whether to appoint a direct replacement for Johnson or not. Head coach Sean Holley has expressed his ambition to move to the director role, which would free up his existing position at the Welsh club.

Meanwhile, Ireland World Cup stars Stephen Ferris, Rory Best and Andrew Trimble return to action tonight when Ulster face Michael Bradley's Edinburgh in a Pro12 clash in Murrayfield.

Munster and Leinster name their teams today for this weekend's league clashes with Treviso and Cardiff, respectively, and are also set to include a clutch of returning internationals, including Ireland's Six Nations captain Paul O'Connell.

- Hugh Farrelly

Irish Independent
                  Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
                    O'Sullivan has contacted Sale, through his manager, to declare his availability for a role in the club should it become available.

O'Sullivan, who finished a two-and-a-half-year stint with the US Eagles after the World Cup, has also declared his interest in a position with the Ospreys
                    Jaysus, he's really hanging the "will coach for food" sandwich board out...we may yet see him on stilts at Thomond on Saturday, rumour has it one of the regulars took a nosedive during the gales.
                    To Infinity, Marseille & Beyond...via the winding Brive, Toulousse, Murrayfield, Stade de France, Vicarage Road, da Stooap, Montpellier, Sale route...it'll all be worth it one of these days.

Der is an isle

Comment

I would have thought him and Ospreys would be perfect for each other.
                      They seem to be a club lead by consensus to their detriment, but someone with EOS's authoritative tendencies could help them out, for a while anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X