Geordan Murphy and Munster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geordan Murphy and Munster

Thursday: I’ve a couple of things to attend to on our midweek day off. First there’s a cup of coffee with my long-standing agent, Justin Paige, who has a few loose ends to tie up — tax, image rights, that sort of stuff.

He also suggests we need to speak to Leicester about my plans. As things stand, I’m contracted to the club until the end of next season but I do have an opt-out clause that releases me at the end of this season — as long as I tell the club by February. There’s been a bit of speculation about me and Munster. I know because my mother has cut out the articles! She likes the sound of her youngest coming back to the old sod. It’s an honour to be linked with Munster. I like the way they play, their success rate and the passion of their supporters, who are a lot like Leicester’s. There was contact a few years ago. But at the minute it’s a bit too early to start talking of a move. I have to be careful not to step on anyone’s toes. I don’t want to give anybody the impression that I’m trying to set up a bidding war.

Besides, there are other things to take into consideration. Next year will be my 10th season at Leicester and I have a lot of friends, a lot of personal ties. My girlfriend is based in London. There’s a lot to consider. I’ll try to come to a decision early in the new year.

In the afternoon, I visited Scoil Bride in Athgarvan, where my seven-year-old nephew, Ben, goes to school. It was great fun. I said a few words and was asked a few questions: What’s it like facing the haka? Who are my sporting heroes? Do I live in a mansion? And what’s Ronan O’Gara like? If only I could tell the truth. [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

I'd love to see him here, players coming through could learn an awful lot from him and the Int breaks and camps would hopefully rejuvenate his Ireland career.
    It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Age wise GM would have a chance to compete at Test level for the '11 WC if he comes to Ireland, he would be knackered if he stayed in England. It would help his fitness also; he needs to gain a bit of power in contact, and regain some of his pace. EOS's pre season camps would help this.

D'arcy and ROG are supposed to be the two major Irish team players whose contracts are to finish this year AFAIK. It's interesting how GM is talking about coming home a few weeks after BOD sorted his contract out, maybe he is just trying to get a higher value contract next time, a bidding war wouldn't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Clon

D'arcy and ROG are supposed to be the two major Irish team players whose contracts are to finish this year AFAIK.

Correct........
        Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

ROG will never move....simple as...

Comment

True.

Comment

I know he's Irish, but how would we feel if a foreignMunster player was pimping himself around like that...

Comment

What would he bring to the team? Overrated IMO. Shaun Payne is a much better full back because SP doesn't cost Munster tries like the shaky GM would.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick

What would he bring to the team? Overrated IMO. Shaun Payne is a much better full back because SP doesn't cost Munster tries like the shaky GM would.

But how much gas has he left in the tank?

Comment

Shaun Payne has maybe one more year left in him, at most. The piece in the paper comes across very poorly alright[img]smileys/thumb-down.gif[/img].

Comment

Harsh, he said in a interview he's contract is up next season and he will make a choice early next year. He has not piched up at any other club having his picture taken with the owner etc,. Payne is what 34 this will be his last season wearing the red. Great player put time is not on his side.
                      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

The reason why I felt he was wrong to be writing about this in the paper is that his contract is up at the end of next season, but he has an opt out by February, to finish this season. The team he mentioned, Munster are in the same group as his present team. It's like a frontline player for Munster telling everyone he might leave one year beofre his contract is due to end, and mentions a competitor like Leicester. That would leave me fairly annoyed as a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Clon
                          The reason why I felt he was wrong to be writing about this in the paper is that his contract is up at the end of next season, but he has an opt out by February, to finish this season. The team he mentioned, Munster are in the same group as his present team. It's like a frontline player for Munster telling everyone he might leave one year beofre his contract is due to end, and mentions a competitor like Leicester. That would leave me fairly annoyed as a fan.

Nail on the head imo Clon, if I was a tiger fan I'd not be one bit happy about this

Comment

I reckon that Geordan was merely a bit naive - he hasto fill a diary, the media are presumably asking him about this every time he doesan interview in Ireland and he was trying to be honest.

Naive yes, but nothing more.
                            New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

I'd be happy to have him on tonights performance. Wasn't outstanding but safe as bricks in bad conditions.
                              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X