Racial abuse charge dropped.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racial abuse charge dropped.

<DIV =LeadPara>The Newport Gwent Dragons have decided to drop their complaint against Ulster following allegations that two of their players were racially abused at Ravenhill during a recent Magners Celtic League fixture. </DIV>
    <DIV =LeadPara>The Welsh club communicated their displeasure to Ulster, initially verbally and then through a letter of complaint, and the Irish province undertook to investigate the matter fully, which they have done. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>A statement issued yesterday on behalf of the Celtic League read: "Ulster Rugby has confirmed to both Newport Gwent Dragons and Celtic Rugby that they have thoroughly investigated this matter and have not been able to substantiate the claims made. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>"Ulster Rugby acknowledges that there is no place whatsoever in our game for racial abuse or abuse of any kind and have taken the allegations made very seriously. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>"This has included reviewing all available television, video and CCTV footage; obtaining reports from the referee; conducting interviews with touch judges, event management staff and stewards, members of the Ulster Rugby Supporters Club, members of the Ulster match team and medical staff, and the PSNI officer in charge of the venue. Ulster Rugby has reported that these inquiries have not been able to substantiate the claims made." </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Ulster went on to point out that they "do have chants that could be misheard." They added further, that they have stewarding levels well in excess of the minimum laid down by the "Green Guide" and that they will be increasing them further. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>The statement continued: "Newport Gwent Dragons have acknowledged and thanked Ulster Rugby for the seriousness in which they have viewed this matter and the efforts to investigate the claims made. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>"Newport Gwent Dragons have confirmed that, while standing by the claim of their player, that they are satisfied with Ulster Rugby's response and that they now consider the matter closed. As Newport Gwent Dragons has not made a formal approach to Celtic Rugby to intervene in this matter, and since Newport Gwent Dragons have confirmed to Celtic Rugby that they are satisfied with Ulster Rugby's reply, Celtic Rugby considers that the matter has been satisfactorily dealt with by the teams concerned." </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Meanwhile, Ulster coach Mark McCall will confirm his team for Saturday's Celtic League game against the Llanelli Scarlets today and should be able to call upon Paddy Wallace, Andrew Trimble, Neil Best, Simon Best and Isaac Boss, all of whom came on in Ireland's win over England at Croke Park last weekend. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>The Scarlets have made five changes as well as three positional switches from their last game. Matthew Watkins moves to the left wing from midfield, Darren Daniel moves to the opposite wing, while captain James Bates goes from openside flanker to blindside to allow Gavin Thomas to return. Morgan Stoddart replaces Barry Davies at fullback and in the forwards Deacon Manu, Vernon Cooper and Nathan Thomas are the new faces. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>(c) 2007, The Irish Times. </DIV>
    Seas suas agus troid!

Originally posted by LLCOOLJ14
    ...<div>Ulster went on to point out that they "do have chants that could be misheard."...</font></div>
    Don't you just love the Northern accent..

not the first time something's been said up North, heard one way, meant another, and interpreted a third way.

Comment

This is becoming a farce. Surely a team should have more decorum that to go spouting straight to the media.

Currently there have been 3 cases of accusations thrown at ulster fans:

McCullough over the spide/spade misinterpretationissue with D.Armitage

Brennangate which hopefully will clear bamford of wrong doing.

Dragons affair at ravenhill where they throw wild inflamatory accusations of racism directly into the media spotlight.

It's a phucking joke.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieG
        <DIV>Ulster went on to point out that they "do have chants that could be misheard."...</DIV>

not the first time something's been said up North, heard one way, meant another, and interpreted a third way.

Hardly a soley Northern phenomenon....

....we don't do it on purpose you know.[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by pwrmoore
          Originally posted by RobbieG
          <DIV>Ulster went on to point out that they "do have chants that could be misheard."...</DIV>

Hardly a soley Northern phenomenon....

....we don't do it on purpose you know.[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Maybe you should adjust your accent to a more mainstream southern accent...now repeat after me

"Shag off ya langer, I was mouldy an I gawked all over the shop"

Comment

So what action should be taken against the Dragons for the false accusation?
            Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
            Munster: Early Season
            Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
            Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
            Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Comment

Who said it was false?

My computer thinks I'm gay
              What's the difference anyway
              When all the people do all day
              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Similar to the Matt MCullough case. Not enough evidence to proceed so Ulster are innocent.
                \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

Originally posted by overthehillprop
                  Similar to the Matt MCullough case. Not enough evidence to proceed so Ulster are innocent.

Dosent make it a false accusation. The NGD player may have been correct or he may have been wrong but he genuinely felt there was abuse.There is noevidence ormotive to suggest it was a deliberately concocted false claim.
                  My computer thinks I'm gay
                  What's the difference anyway
                  When all the people do all day
                  Is stare into a phone

Comment

Presumed innocent till found guilty in my book.

Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
                    Munster: Early Season
                    Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
                    Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
                    Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

Originally posted by overthehillprop

Dosent make it a false accusation. The NGD player may have been correct or he may have been wrong but he genuinely felt there was abuse.There is noevidence ormotive to suggest it was a deliberately concocted false claim.

I totally agree. Nothing to say it was a false claim. Nothing mentioned that it definately didn't happen.

However when you look at the ERC results of Marcus's hearing they actually say that no such comment was made by him or any of the Munster team.
                      \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

Originally posted by Cathal
                        Presumed innocent till found guilty in my book.
                        Presumed innocent is different from proven innocent.

Just like in the Opsreys/Horan incident, I thought the wording used in the findings was odd - "The Committee went further and held that the alleged remark had not been made.", rather than "The committee held that no proof could be found that the alleged remark had been made".

@@@@SPAN style="font-style: italic;">Edit - oops, repeating what overthehillprop said in the post above..
                        @@@@/SPAN>
                        Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
                        "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

Jaysus lads would you ever get over it. Compliant(s) were made were reviewed finding was no case(s) to answer. Case(s) closed move on. Let old lawyer types suchas Jenta mull over the wording.

At this rate I expect a big run on dictaphones before the Ulster v Munster game[img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]
                          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Sorry, as the forum's resident pedant, I'm obliged to fight this to the death. And/or end.
                            Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
                            "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

You missed the obvious difference so Who?
                              Comment

Working...
                              X