<DIV ="mxb">
    <DIV ="sh">Pumas lobby for Tri-Nations place </DIV></DIV></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD vAlign=top width=416><!- S BO -><!- S IIMA ->
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right><T>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    <DIV></DIV></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE><!- E IIMA -><!- S SF ->The Argentine government has joined the Pumas' bid to be added to an expanded Tri-Nations series.

The Argentine Rugby Union had already made representations about joining the competition if it were to be expanded.

And International Rugby Board chief executive Mike Miller said: "There's nothing to stop it happening next year if everyone wants it to."

Australian Rugby Union chief Gary Flowers said: "There's been approaches on a government to government basis." <!- E SF ->

Flowers said Argentina's entry into the competition as early as next year could be premature as it would require the renegotiation of television contracts signed until 2010.

He added: "Given the Tri-Nations runs from July through to early September, and with the European season under way, that is an issue that would have to be confronted."

Argentina were keen to join the Six Nations but have since switched their attention to joining the Southern Hemisphere's tournament.</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>
    Always

It makes more sense for them to play in the south, logistics/travel and the 7 nations would strat to get a bit cumbersome. I think the Pumas will shock the arrogance of the Tri-Nations particularly at home and particularly the Boks &amp; ABs.

Comment

Excuse me, but how does it make more sense from a logistical point of view?
      Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Well if we had let them play in a 7N then they would have to base in Barcelona or Madrid. The 6N insisted that under no circumstances would their teams travel to Buenos Aires if ARG were admitted. Also the Northern Hemisphere calendar is at bursting point (hence Serge Blanco's excuse for wrecking the HEC) so it's a matter of finding an extra w/e when we are trying to cut back on fixture congestion.

The Argentine Union would lose out by being based in Europe. Financially it makes more sense to host the Southern Nations for 3 homes games in Buenos Aires rather than hope forthat anex-pat following in Barca would out-number the travelling support. Travel wise it's the same trip time wise from NZ to SA as it is to ARG.

Comment

Last time I checked a globe Buenos Aires is quite far south, the southern hemisphere even. I know that madrid has been mooted as a venue for the Pumas but while a trip to spain in february is very appealing I don't think its sustainable long termand flying up and down the atlantic doesn't seem a good idea. Plus if you have a 7 nations, were rapidly heading towards an equivalent World Cup. A Southern &amp; Northern Annual Comp with a 4-yearly World Cup IMHO is a better idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoof Hearted

Well if we had let them play in a 7N then they would have to base in Barcelona or Madrid. The 6N insisted that under no circumstances would their teams travel to Buenos Aires if ARG were admitted. Also the Northern Hemisphere calendar is at bursting point (hence Serge Blanco's excuse for wrecking the HEC) so it's a matter of finding an extra w/e when we are trying to cut back on fixture congestion.

The Argentine Union would lose out by being based in Europe. Financially it makes more sense to host the Southern Nations for 3 homes games in Buenos Aires rather than hope forthat anex-pat following in Barca would out-number the travelling support. Travel wise it's the same trip time wise from NZ to SA as it is to ARG.

I think you would find it financially more lucrative to hold the matches in Europe (they can charge a lot more than they could in Argentina). There are over 100,000 Argentinians living in and around Madrid alone, and there are as many again in Barcelona. And that is not counting the rugby mad Uruguayans living in Spain as well. A Uruguayan is my cable guy in Spain and he said there would be massive support if Argentina was based in Spain for the 7N. Plus it would raise the profile of rugby in Spain, as it has definitely done in Donostia.

Comment

That doesn't get round the impact a 7 nations will have on the already burstingfixture list- who knows what dummies the french (&amp; english) might spit out.............

Comment

If we could accommodate them I'm all on for a trip to Madrid. But we really should get the fixture congestion issue sorted out first in the NH.

Didn't realise there were that many Argentinians in the Madrid area alone. So full houses wouldn't be a problem as you say. If the game in Spain developed how long might it be before the Spanish team were knocking on the door - or someone else for that matter, as one team would have a spare w/e in a 7 team competition.

Would ARG permanently base in Madrid though, or would pressure eventually come to play in front of a Buenos Aires crowd ?

Comment

In fairness as appealing as a fixture in spain with argentina would be, the tri nations needs a kick up the ass way more than we do, and at the end of the day theres northen hemisphere rugby and southern and Argentina, last time i checked is in the south.

What is holding games in spain really going to do for Argentinian Rugby? Or spanish rugby for that matter.

The logistics would have to be worked out but SA are already getting screwed over in the travelling stakes soadding in another venue would share the burden across the four teams

Im glad that SANZAR are finally taking there head out of their hole and opening there eyes, if they now could give the islanders a decent shot at developing their native teams rather than just robbing their players we'd really be getting somewhere.

Comment

I think its laughable that because some where is far away and that somewhere else is far away that some people think they must be close to each other.

BA is a lot closer to Paris or London than it is to Sydney (16 hours). So imagine how many local away fans would travel 16 hours for a game, (few enough I think)

Currently the 6N takes up a 7 week block in the calender a 7N could take up the same, with one side always having a free weekend. Yes there would be a need to rest some front line players but it would probably be a good thing to get more players playing at the top level.

What I would love to see would be Argentina based in Spain for two home matches with one in BA.
                    the one in BA would be the last round, giving the away supporters an excuse to visit the fantastic country and stay for a bit longer. Which would surely give a boost to the countrys tourist industry and equally maybe help people in Europe find out a bit more about South America.
                    The ones in Spain would alternate between Madrid, Barcelona and SS.

The argentinian players are all based in Europe, so logistically they would be happier playing their games in Europe.
                    Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Originally posted by Hoof Hearted

If we could accommodate them I'm all on for a trip to Madrid. But we really should get the fixture congestion issue sorted out first in the NH.

Didn't realise there were that many Argentinians in the Madrid area alone. So full houses wouldn't be a problem as you say. If the game in Spain developed how long might it be before the Spanish team were knocking on the door - or someone else for that matter, as one team would have a spare w/e in a 7 team competition.

Would ARG permanently base in Madrid though, or would pressure eventually come to play in front of a Buenos Aires crowd ?

I was in Madrid last week myself and I was surprised by the amounts of South Americans there. Actually a colleague is now living with a Brazilian girl and he was telling how tough she had it, when she first came over. She's one of the lucky ones because her grandfather is Portuguese, so she will be sorted.

Comment

Working...
                      X