X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterfordlad
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    The soccerballs is working away grand without attendances, rugby can do the same you'd hope if things dont improve bigly.

A game on the TV is better than no game at all, at least it would be something to talk about
    Yeah this has been the longest Silly Season ever

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied
    The soccerballs is working away grand without attendances, rugby can do the same you'd hope if things dont improve bigly.

A game on the TV is better than no game at all, at least it would be something to talk about

Leave a comment:

• Wallyman
    replied
    Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
    If crowd restrictions are eased later in the year, they should consider holding the pool games in Cork if possible. We won't get any where near 26000, i'd imagine, but 5000 would look pretty good in muzzer, even with anti social distancing
    You won't fit 5000 in Muzzer with social distancing at 2m (Or even 1m). You might get that many into TP. If large crowds are allowed back in while social distancing still exists, then there'll be no games in Cork.

Leave a comment:

• rathbaner
    replied
    If crowd restrictions are eased later in the year, they should consider holding the pool games in Cork if possible. We won't get any where near 26000, i'd imagine, but 5000 would look pretty good in muzzer, even with anti social distancing

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    The BBC, confirms some details of Gerry Thornley's article from last week.
    • Four rounds of Pool Matches. 12/13th Dec, 19/20 Dec, 16/17th Jan and 23/24th Jan.
    • A "firm proposal" for home and away quarter finals in early April.
    Last edited by Piquet; 6-August-2020, 19:16.

Leave a comment:

• rathbaner
    replied
    Originally posted by Wallyman View Post
    I was only responding to the bit I bolded about the vaccine being available by the new year. There may well be vaccines by then, but they'll still have to go through regulatory approvals in every country before they can be dispensed. As I said the WHO only last week warned against getting too optimistic about these timelines.
    I get it. But it's worth pointing out, IMHO, that they have streamlined a lot of the process and that many now run in parallel, rather than sequentially.

And the rest is just a bit of good news for a change. The virus isn't going away anytime soon, but the restrictions might be easier to bear if people could see a little light ahead from time to time. And there's a lot of good work going on, though nothing is guaranteed.

Leave a comment:

• Wallyman
    replied
    I was only responding to the bit I bolded about the vaccine being available by the new year. There may well be vaccines by then, but they'll still have to go through regulatory approvals in every country before they can be dispensed. As I said the WHO only last week warned against getting too optimistic about these timelines.

Leave a comment:

• rathbaner
    replied
    That is very optimistic. A vaccine is possible by Dec/Jan, but as the WHO said only last week, a vaccine may never actually be found. And if one is, it will take a few years to manufacture and distribute enough to vaccinate whole populations.
    Is it very optimistic?
    • Hospitals and scientists across the planet are part of a programme testing different cocktails of already existing drugs to find a combination that has a chance of lowering the severity/fataliy rate of the disease. They've had some results already. They're not looking for a silver bullet, but a series of drugs that can make 5% improvements in treatment and then use them in combination.
    • The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine team seem superconfident. They were working on the biogenetics of vaccine prodution already and focused it on CoronaVirus when they got the genetic sequence of the virus an January 10 (IIRC) and so have been working on this specific vaccine since then and are already on Stage 3 testing. Alongside the research and testing they have been working on the mass manufacturing and distribution of the vaccine, a facility is already in place even while doing stage 3 testing. They're ready to start shipping the day they get approval.The main China vaccine effort is as advanced as the Oxford effort and I have no doubt that China's manufacturing capacity will be switched on fully should they get the all clear on a vaccine.
    • Real time testing is here already and is ready to be rolled out in the UK.
    Each one of these alone is a potential game changer. Together they are grounds for real optimism.

Leave a comment:

• Wallyman
    replied
    Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
    I'm just grateful that there's every chance there will be a competition.
    There are a few really good things on the horizon.
    • quick turnaround testing
    • more effective treatments
    • vaccine looking likely by dec2020/jan2021

So it's possible that we will soon be in a new phase of the pandemic maybe by December. The possibilities include
    • Covid19 no longer fatal or even a serious llness
    • instant or near instant testing (the morning of the game for players and or spectators) or even
    • widespread immunity
    Would you pay a tenner extra for a 1hour test with your ticket within 48hours of kickoff?
    That is very optimistic. A vaccine is possible by Dec/Jan, but as the WHO said only last week, a vaccine may never actually be found. And if one is, it will take a few years to manufacture and distribute enough to vaccinate whole populations.

Leave a comment:

• rathbaner
    replied
    I'm just grateful that there's every chance there will be a competition.
    There are a few really good things on the horizon.
    • quick turnaround testing
    • more effective treatments
    • vaccine looking likely by dec2020/jan2021

So it's possible that we will soon be in a new phase of the pandemic maybe by December. The possibilities include
    • Covid19 no longer fatal or even a serious llness
    • instant or near instant testing (the morning of the game for players and or spectators) or even
    • widespread immunity
    Would you pay a tenner extra for a 1hour test with your ticket within 48hours of kickoff?

Leave a comment:

• Waterfordlad
    replied
    Originally posted by Piquet View Post
    Will they arrange the Pools so as to avoid matches between teams from the same Country?
    As a result of Covid they might actively prefer teams from same countries playing against each other

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Will they arrange the Pools so as to avoid matches between teams from the same Country?

Leave a comment:

• red exile
    replied

Was that final seedings or was that the qualifiers? Usually the play off results decide the actual seedings.
    Usually yes, but we're in unprecedented times.

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied

Was that final seedings or was that the qualifiers? Usually the play off results decide the actual seedings.
    I now recall that as Red Exile says, they were going to use the prelockdown places. That would mean Leinster ulster Glasgow and Dragons ( zebre could catch dragons (-6 pints), but unlikely given home and away to Benetton coming up), and Edinburgh, ourselves, scarlets and Connacht (although with the latter having us and Ulster, and Benneton having home and away to Zebre and needing to make up 4 points), using these positions as seeding for qualification could be a touch unfair. Using them for seeding of qualified groups doesn’t really affect any long term arrangements (depending on how they allocate the extra Outgroup fixture). Are the non-qualifiers ‘free’ during the group phase? ( ie is there a second tier tournament as well).

Leave a comment:

• Wallyman
    replied
    Originally posted by red exile View Post
    I think they announced that they were taking the seedings from round 14 [?] (the one before lockdown) Including any 0-0 unplayed games. Which would put us third.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X