Heineken Cup Qualifiers for 2020-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to the Grauniad

​"​​Next season’s Champions Cup is set to be cut by a week to ensure the campaign finishes before the Lions leave for South Africa. It is likely to be made up of eight groups of three, with clubs playing each other home and away before the winners of each section play two-legged quarter-finals."

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
      According to the Grauniad

​"​​Next season’s Champions Cup is set to be cut by a week to ensure the campaign finishes before the Lions leave for South Africa. It is likely to be made up of eight groups of three, with clubs playing each other home and away before the winners of each section play two-legged quarter-finals."
      Interesting, no mention how they would handle the 2 bye weekends in a pool of 3 teams.

Comment

Next season's cup expanded to 24 teams

Comment

Originally posted by The Dave View Post
          Next season's cup expanded to 24 teams
          Indeed, confirmation of the competition format is not expected for at least another 2 weeks. Information from rugby journalists on twitter.

Comment

According to Gerry Thornley in todays Irish Times:
            • 24 teams
            • Eight Pools of three teams
            • One team from each League in each Pool.
            • Two home and two away games.
            • "Not against teams from the same Pool"
            He remarks that it "is liable to be a dog's dinner of a competition"

I'm inclined to agree.

He also says that "most probably" the Quarter Finals will be over two legs although two legged Semi-Finals are also an option.

Two legged QFs "make more sense", he says, that way all Pool winners would get a home game.

Comment

According to Gerry Thornley in todays Irish Times:
              • 24 teams
              • Eight Pools of three teams
              • One team from each League in each Pool.
              • Two home and two away games.
              • "Not against teams from the same Pool"
              He remarks that it "is liable to be a dog's dinner of a competition"

I'm inclined to agree.

He also says that "most probably" the Quarter Finals will be over two legs although two legged Semi-Finals are also an option.

Two legged QFs "make more sense", he says, that way all Pool winners would get a home game.
              Playing v sides not in your pool gets round the pool of 3 and bye rounds. Doesn't sound great to be fair.

Munster could well be minus De Allende and Snyman for at least the 1st game re the Rugby Championship in NZ

Comment

How do they decide which teams a given team will play?

Will the top seed in each Pool play the second and third seeds in another Pool?

The second seed play the first and third seeds and the third seed play the top two seeds.

1,1 v 2,2 and 2,3. 1,2 v 2,1 and 2,3 and 1,3 v 2,1 and 2,2. for instance.

Comment

How do they decide which teams a given team will play?

Will the top seed in each Pool play the second and third seeds in another Pool?

The second seed play the first and third seeds and the third seed play the top two seeds.

1,1 v 2,2 and 2,3. 1,2 v 2,1 and 2,3 and 1,3 v 2,1 and 2,2. for instance.
                  Pretty straightforward

We get Saracens or Toulon.
                  I am the million man.

Comment

Can't get Sarries.

Comment

From what I understand we will be third seeds from our league. Meaning we will be ranked somewhere between 7-9, with our luck I’m guessing 9th and will end up a second seed in our group.

Comment

Originally posted by red exile View Post
                        From what I understand we will be third seeds from our league. Meaning we will be ranked somewhere between 7-9, with our luck I’m guessing 9th and will end up a second seed in our group.
                        So it doesn’t depend on our final pro14 league position? This will be a real muddle- I’m guessing that the extra fixture was from your own league, which makes things a bit more manageable, and with a bit of thinking that could be seeded too.

Comment

I think they announced that they were taking the seedings from round 14 [?] (the one before lockdown) Including any 0-0 unplayed games. Which would put us third.

Comment

Originally posted by red exile View Post
                            I think they announced that they were taking the seedings from round 14 [?] (the one before lockdown) Including any 0-0 unplayed games. Which would put us third.
                            Was that final seedings or was that the qualifiers? Usually the play off results decide the actual seedings.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

Was that final seedings or was that the qualifiers? Usually the play off results decide the actual seedings.
                              I now recall that as Red Exile says, they were going to use the prelockdown places. That would mean Leinster ulster Glasgow and Dragons ( zebre could catch dragons (-6 pints), but unlikely given home and away to Benetton coming up), and Edinburgh, ourselves, scarlets and Connacht (although with the latter having us and Ulster, and Benneton having home and away to Zebre and needing to make up 4 points), using these positions as seeding for qualification could be a touch unfair. Using them for seeding of qualified groups doesn’t really affect any long term arrangements (depending on how they allocate the extra Outgroup fixture). Are the non-qualifiers ‘free’ during the group phase? ( ie is there a second tier tournament as well).

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

Usually yes, but we're in unprecedented times.

Comment

Working...
                                X