Heineken Cup Qualifiers for 2020-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

That's not what I heard. The version I heard is that you'll won't play a team from your own league, but you will play the other teams once either home or away. I also heard that the teams placed 5-8 from each group would go into the QF of the Challenge Cup.

Neither version gives 8 weeks though, which is the length of tournament that the EPCR have mentioned. The version you heard only adds up to 7 weeks and the version I heard needs 11 weeks. I'm not sure of any logical way to end up with 5 pools games.

I also don't see how you fit that into a season that also includes the final three rounds of this seasons competition.
    In what I've heard the QF would be home and away, thus adding up to 8 weeks. Though why home and away QF and not SF is a mystery.
    Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
      Four Pools of six with a single round of matches followed by three knockout rounds (QF, SF and Final) would take eight weeks.
      Single round matches would be a real bug*er. There’s something delicious about the prospect of getting a second bite at teams, revenge or a more dominant win. That said, I’d take any format just now, if we could travel, sing and share a few pints.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Single round matches would be a real bug*er. There’s something delicious about the prospect of getting a second bite at teams, revenge or a more dominant win. That said, I’d take any format just now, if we could travel, sing and share a few pints.
        Yes, yes and yes.

Comment

I see Stephen Jones is in today's English Times lamenting European rugby's big mistakes in giving into the PRL and Top 14's demands to devalue the HEC. God, I wonder where they got the encouragement for that.

Comment

Seriously? Wasn’t it himself and that clown Paul Rees that were the cheerleaders in the media for it!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
              Seriously? Wasn’t it himself and that clown Paul Rees that were the cheerleaders in the media for it!?!
              Twas. Not sure what prompted the change of heart but he made it fairly clear it was the blazers to blame for giving into the demands, the demanders themselves not being named.

Comment

With the news today that the European qualifiers from the Pro 14 are now settled based on the 13 games - the list is Leinster, Ulster, Glasgow and Dragons from Conference A. From B Edinburgh, Munster, Scarlets and Connacht.

Widely expected there will be a 24 side tournament in 2020/21. 8 pools of 3 sides.

Comment

Originally posted by neill_m View Post

Widely expected there will be a 24 side tournament in 2020/21. 8 pools of 3 sides.
                  That'll make a right Shyte of it, lose every team a home match, run the danger of having dead rubbers in the last round and not save any match weekends

Comment

That'll make a right Shyte of it, lose every team a home match, run the danger of having dead rubbers in the last round and not save any match weekends
                    The exact format of a 24 team competition is yet to be confirmed but pools of 3 allow for 4 match weekends (2 in Dec and 2 in Jan) which would suit EPCR given they plan to finish this year's H Cup (QF - 19-20 Sep, SF 26-27 Sep and Final Oct 17)

Comment

No Neil, there'll still have to be six match weekends.

1: A v B, C idle, 2: B v C, A idle, 3: C v A, B idle, 4: A v C, B idle, 5: C v B, A idle and 6: B v A, C idle.

Comment

1: A v B, C idle, 2: B v C, A idle, 3: C v A, B idle, 4: A v C, B idle, 5: C v B, A idle and 6: B v A, C idle.
                        You are quite right, been long warm day. Brain not working! If they are going 24 sides, might as well as do 6 groups of 4 sides, like the old days.

Comment

Having four Pools of six and only a single round of games would save a week.

Half of teams would lose a home match.
                          Last edited by Piquet; 20-June-2020, 22:24. Reason: To incorporate Wallyman's correction below.

Comment

Ms Piquet has asked me is there any truth in the rumour that Mario Itojie is moving from Sarries to the Dragons 'cos he wants to play Heineken Cup Rugby next season?

Comment

Originally posted by neill_m View Post

You are quite right, been long warm day. Brain not working! If they are going 24 sides, might as well as do 6 groups of 4 sides, like the old days.
                              And we could say it’s covid related rather than a reversion to a better format—-

Comment

The fixtures could be worked so that teams from the same league have the same idle weeks, so two rounds of each league gets played during the 6 weekends.

Having four Pools of six and only a single round of games would save a week.

All teams would still lose a home match.
                                5 games means either 3 home / 2 away or 2 home / 3 away, so only half the teams lose a home game.
                                Last edited by Wallyman; 20-June-2020, 22:08.

Comment

Working...
                                X