Heineken Cup Qualifiers for 2020-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heineken Cup Qualifiers for 2020-1

Now that we have a hiatus in the various domestic leagues, it's a good time to look who would qualify for next year's tournament, if all stayed the same.

Pro 14: Leinster, Munster, Ulster, Llanelli, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Connacht would host the Dragons in the Play-off.

Top 14: Lyon, Bordeaux-Begles, Pau, Bayonne, Toulon and Clermont.

EPL: Bristol, Northampton, Sale, Gloucester, Exeter and London Irish.

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
    Now that we have a hiatus in the various domestic leagues, it's a good time to look who would qualify for next year's tournament, if all stayed the same.

Pro 14: Leinster, Munster, Ulster, Llanelli, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Connacht would host the Dragons in the Play-off.

That would be a bit of a shake up for the old guard!

Comment

Exactly! The Top 3-4 in England and France is not the norm
      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post

edinburgh, Pau and Bristol please........

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

Tough on the liver but someone's gotta do it!

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

Suit me perfectly—- year please

Comment

10 games into the Pro14, 13 into the Top 13 and 8 into the EPL, and here are the teams currently in the qualification spots.

Pro 14: Leinster, Edinburgh, Ulster, Llanelli, Glasgow and Munster. The Play-off would be between Connacht and the Dragons.

Top 14: Bordeaux - Begles, Lyon, Toulon, La Rochelle, Racing and Montpellier.

EPL: Exeter, Northampton, Gloucester, Sale, Bristol and Bath.

Comment

12/21sts of the Pro14, 16/26ths of the Top 14 and halfway through the EPL regular seasons and the qualifiers are:

Pro 14: Leinster, Edinburgh, ULster, Munster, Llanelli and Glasgow. the Play-off would be Connacht v Dragons. No Change from the last time.

Top 14: Bordeaux-Begles, Lyon, La Rochelle, Toulon, Racing and Toulouse. Toulouse in for Montpellier.

EPL: Exeter, Sale, Bristol, Northampton, Bath, and London Irish. Irish in for Gloucester.

Comment

The qualifiers would be:

Pro 14: Leinster, Edinburgh, Ulster, Munster, Llanelli and Glasgow. The Play-off would be Connacht v Dragons. No Change.

Top 14: Bordeaux-Begles, Lyon, Racing, Toulon, La Rochelle and Clermont. Clermont in for Toulouse.

EPL: Exeter, Sale, Bristol, Northampton, Bath, and Wasps. Wasps in for Irish.

Comment

The french clubs are not happy,threatening a boycott of next seasons competition
                    https://au.news.yahoo.com/top-14-thr...6113--spt.html
                    "If all the wild horsemen of the apocalypse came around the corner O'Mahony would charge straight back at them."
                    Will Greenwood

Comment

Fine, bring it back up to 24 teams. Six Pools of Four with seven from each league, the winners of each of the previous year's Cups and a play-off between the three eighth-ranked teams from the three leagues. A v B, winners play C

If this year's Cups can't be completed, have eight from each league.

Comment

From what I've heard they are looking at 24 teams, 2 pools of 12, each pool consisting of 4 English, 4 French and 4 PRO14 teams.
                        Each team would play 1 team from the other two leagues home and away, thus 4 pool games.
                        Top 4 of each pool would qualify for the QF.
                        Does not sound good to me but thankfully nothing confirmed yet!
                        Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

Originally posted by ephileth View Post
                          From what I've heard they are looking at 24 teams, 2 pools of 12, each pool consisting of 4 English, 4 French and 4 PRO14 teams.
                          Each team would play 1 team from the other two leagues home and away, thus 4 pool games.
                          Top 4 of each pool would qualify for the QF.
                          Does not sound good to me but thankfully nothing confirmed yet!
                          That's not what I heard. The version I heard is that you'll won't play a team from your own league, but you will play the other teams once either home or away. I also heard that the teams placed 5-8 from each group would go into the QF of the Challenge Cup.

Neither version gives 8 weeks though, which is the length of tournament that the EPCR have mentioned. The version you heard only adds up to 7 weeks and the version I heard needs 11 weeks. I'm not sure of any logical way to end up with 5 pools games.

I also don't see how you fit that into a season that also includes the final three rounds of this seasons competition.

Comment

Four Pools of six with a single round of matches followed by three knockout rounds (QF, SF and Final) would take eight weeks.

Comment

Imagine it would be a simple 8 from each league, top 8 in the standings, top 4 each conference excluding South African teams in the Pro14. 6 pools, 6 winners plus 2 best runners up like old
                              "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Working...
                              X