Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mumhain
    replied
    Ciaran Booth is probably the best signing Connacht have made so far. As good an out-and-out jackal to play for an Irish international underage team in recent years. Was hoping he was one of those guys Munster were going to add to the academy, but if Hodnett and Kendellen are both going to be converted to 7, then there probably isn't a need for another one.

Every young 7 should watch Booth's performance in Ireland under 19's loss to Australia, last year. Great timing and power leads to 3/4 brilliant turnovers.
    https://www.rugby.com.au/videos/2018...nd-u19s-replay
    Last edited by Mumhain; 12-June-2020, 08:24.

Leave a comment:

• ustix
    replied
    Niyi done Connacht some service.
    Big Tom, Colby and Godwin will be missed.

Leave a comment:

• whimpersnap
    replied
    I'd say a few players are looking at the uncertainty over the next while and deciding that maybe they need to look at their lives after sport too. No idea what the case is for Adeolokun but his injuries have definitely been a curse as, for a time, it looked like he might challenge to be a regular in the international squads.

Leave a comment:

• mr chips
    replied
    It may be more of a financial decision, either on the part of the club or of the player (or maybe even both). I've seen rumours - not substantiated, I should add - that he's off to the States for a bit of a payday. On the other hand, with Connacht's redevelopment of the Sportsground - which is being funded partly through commercial sponsorship agreements (no idea whether those will continue in the face of the coming economic shock) - and the near-certain lack of season tickets for the 2020-21 season, money will be even tighter there than in other provinces.

Again though, this is almost complete speculation on my part and shouldn't be taken as any kind of solid information.

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
    Very surprised Adeolokun is off. Reckon he's been lured away rather than let go. Very good player that could probably get a decent few quid abroad and he's achieved plenty with Connacht so may want a new experience.
    Very surprised by his departure too- was very exciting a few years ago- Connacht must believe they have some quality if they are letting the likes of him go.

Leave a comment:

• ormond lad
    replied
    Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
    Very surprised Adeolokun is off. Reckon he's been lured away rather than let go. Very good player that could probably get a decent few quid abroad and he's achieved plenty with Connacht so may want a new experience.
    I dont think niyi been lured away. He may pick something up but at championship/prod2 level. He's had few injuries and form just dropped quite a bit from 15/16/17.

Leave a comment:

• Munsterboy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sulla
    replied
    Where’s Adeolokun going?

is he that out of favour? Had a few injuries, but not mentioned as retiring

Leave a comment:

• ormond lad
    replied
    https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connach...ing-players-2/

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Mumhain View Post

Agree about Wootton not being on the same level as the top few options at Munster, but I would still rate him as having a higher ability than L.Coombes, Nash and Sweetnam. This isn't because I don't rate those three players, it is more so a reflection of how good I think Wootton could be. I understand that there more factors at play than just ability when making decisions between players, though. I think he could cement himself pretty quickly as the first choice winger at Connacht.

The Dan Goggin point is a really good one. He was becoming a little bit like Munster's version of Fergus McFadden. Really solid in any position you put him, but probably not great for his own career. Will be interesting to see if he can overtake Rory Scannell in the pecking order and if he can put any real pressure on Chris Farrell and Damien De Allende.
    That’s high praise- to me Nash looks to have real class, and lacks the defensive frailty. L Coombes clearly impressed the management set up, and Sweetnam has real grit. For me, however, Daly is better than all of them, and I hope we see more of him next year, but with Gallagher coming in it will be very busy in that back three, especially with Lowe becoming available for Ireland.

Leave a comment:

• Mumhain
    replied
    Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Agree with most of that- Wootton didn’t get the game time he needed to develop, but then he was behind most of what we have in the back three, both in form and proven ability - a real chicken and egg problem. Sammys situation is different- no shortage of game time, really put himself into it, but showed less attacking ability - maybe because he was inside Scannell most of the time. I think we all really like Scannell as a player, really tries hard and a wonderful left boot, but doesn’t have the power at 12 that Sammy’s game might benefit from. Himself and Aki could be a really dangerous combination, and I really hope Sammy gets beyond his Munster level.

A dimension of the Arnold move that hasn’t been commented upon is the benefit for Dan Goggin. VG has played him almost across the back line, and he’s never let us down, but he now looks nailed on understudy at 13, and should really benefit from having such a high level 12 inside.
    Agree about Wootton not being on the same level as the top few options at Munster, but I would still rate him as having a higher ability than L.Coombes, Nash and Sweetnam. This isn't because I don't rate those three players, it is more so a reflection of how good I think Wootton could be. I understand that there more factors at play than just ability when making decisions between players, though. I think he could cement himself pretty quickly as the first choice winger at Connacht.

The Dan Goggin point is a really good one. He was becoming a little bit like Munster's version of Fergus McFadden. Really solid in any position you put him, but probably not great for his own career. Will be interesting to see if he can overtake Rory Scannell in the pecking order and if he can put any real pressure on Chris Farrell and Damien De Allende.

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Mumhain View Post
    Connacht have signed four very good players, but Alex Wootton would be the best of the signings, if it were to happen, in my opinion. I still think Wootton has massive potential, but he seems to have fallen out of favour with the coaches and most fans. Connacht are lacking depth in the back-three, so he’d have every chance of getting regular game time. Another guy Connacht should go after IMO, is Adam Byrne - who is 26 years old and never seems to get selected by Leinster in the big games. Like Wootton, he has all the talent in the world, but probably just needs a run of games to iron out some of the flaws defensively, to get to that next level.

Dowling to Connacht is probably the strangest of the signings, given Connacht’s current depth there. Gallagher has struggled for game time (partially due to injuries) and was/is a far bigger prospect than Dowling, IMO. Gallagher looked as good as James Ryan in that Ireland under-20 team, so it’s strange that he hasn’t kicked on.

Sam Arnold probably felt the same way about getting chances in Munster’s first team, as Salanoa felt about getting game time for Leinster. Two internationals in Chris Farrell and Damien De Allende blocking his path to the first team. He probably backs himself to take second centre position alongside Aki at Connacht. Will be difficult as there is a lot of competition for that jersey.
    Agree with most of that- Wootton didn’t get the game time he needed to develop, but then he was behind most of what we have in the back three, both in form and proven ability - a real chicken and egg problem. Sammys situation is different- no shortage of game time, really put himself into it, but showed less attacking ability - maybe because he was inside Scannell most of the time. I think we all really like Scannell as a player, really tries hard and a wonderful left boot, but doesn’t have the power at 12 that Sammy’s game might benefit from. Himself and Aki could be a really dangerous combination, and I really hope Sammy gets beyond his Munster level.

A dimension of the Arnold move that hasn’t been commented upon is the benefit for Dan Goggin. VG has played him almost across the back line, and he’s never let us down, but he now looks nailed on understudy at 13, and should really benefit from having such a high level 12 inside.

Leave a comment:

• Mumhain
    replied
    Connacht have signed four very good players, but Alex Wootton would be the best of the signings, if it were to happen, in my opinion. I still think Wootton has massive potential, but he seems to have fallen out of favour with the coaches and most fans. Connacht are lacking depth in the back-three, so he’d have every chance of getting regular game time. Another guy Connacht should go after IMO, is Adam Byrne - who is 26 years old and never seems to get selected by Leinster in the big games. Like Wootton, he has all the talent in the world, but probably just needs a run of games to iron out some of the flaws defensively, to get to that next level.

Dowling to Connacht is probably the strangest of the signings, given Connacht’s current depth there. Gallagher has struggled for game time (partially due to injuries) and was/is a far bigger prospect than Dowling, IMO. Gallagher looked as good as James Ryan in that Ireland under-20 team, so it’s strange that he hasn’t kicked on.

Sam Arnold probably felt the same way about getting chances in Munster’s first team, as Salanoa felt about getting game time for Leinster. Two internationals in Chris Farrell and Damien De Allende blocking his path to the first team. He probably backs himself to take second centre position alongside Aki at Connacht. Will be difficult as there is a lot of competition for that jersey.
    Last edited by Mumhain; 19-May-2020, 14:41.

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Daithi View Post
    Jeez, watched Edinburgh v Connacht tonight. Connacht were very disorganised and rag taggle tbh. Granted Edinburgh were physical, but Connacht couldn't string more than 2 passes off any phase. In possession they weren't ever aligned correctly, kept over running the ball, with no decoys or subtleties, or defence guessing required, they kept making handling errors & missing tackles all over the place in defence. I haven't really watched them much since the glory days with Pat Lam as coach, but they have gone so far backwards as to be unrecognisable. Pity....
    Didn’t see it, but was hoping they might do us a little favour and keep it tight, would help if Edinburgh dropped a few points here and there

Leave a comment:

• Daithi
    replied
    Jeez, watched Edinburgh v Connacht tonight. Connacht were very disorganised and rag taggle tbh. Granted Edinburgh were physical, but Connacht couldn't string more than 2 passes off any phase. In possession they weren't ever aligned correctly, kept over running the ball, with no decoys or subtleties, or defence guessing required, they kept making handling errors & missing tackles all over the place in defence. I haven't really watched them much since the glory days with Pat Lam as coach, but they have gone so far backwards as to be unrecognisable. Pity....
    Last edited by Daithi; 21-February-2020, 22:55.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X