Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
    Very poor by Connacht-
    Yes. Maybe Ulster had something to do with it?
    Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

Yes. Maybe Ulster had something to do with it?
      Certainly not their line out...

Comment

Can only see a handful of natives in Connacht's 23 for this evening.... kind of disappointing methinks
        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Good BP win for the Westies. Held Caaaadif scoreless
          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
            Can only see a handful of natives in Connacht's 23 for this evening.... kind of disappointing methinks

By natives do you mean born in Connacht or Ireland
            They played some great rugby . Great passing in the conditions and. Should’ve had a few more try’s.
            Clean sheet also a plus
            When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

I meant fellas born in Connacht Benji.Great result
              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Jeez, watched Edinburgh v Connacht tonight. Connacht were very disorganised and rag taggle tbh. Granted Edinburgh were physical, but Connacht couldn't string more than 2 passes off any phase. In possession they weren't ever aligned correctly, kept over running the ball, with no decoys or subtleties, or defence guessing required, they kept making handling errors & missing tackles all over the place in defence. I haven't really watched them much since the glory days with Pat Lam as coach, but they have gone so far backwards as to be unrecognisable. Pity....
                Last edited by Daithi; 21st-February-2020, 22:55.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
                  Jeez, watched Edinburgh v Connacht tonight. Connacht were very disorganised and rag taggle tbh. Granted Edinburgh were physical, but Connacht couldn't string more than 2 passes off any phase. In possession they weren't ever aligned correctly, kept over running the ball, with no decoys or subtleties, or defence guessing required, they kept making handling errors & missing tackles all over the place in defence. I haven't really watched them much since the glory days with Pat Lam as coach, but they have gone so far backwards as to be unrecognisable. Pity....
                  Didn’t see it, but was hoping they might do us a little favour and keep it tight, would help if Edinburgh dropped a few points here and there

Comment

Connacht have signed four very good players, but Alex Wootton would be the best of the signings, if it were to happen, in my opinion. I still think Wootton has massive potential, but he seems to have fallen out of favour with the coaches and most fans. Connacht are lacking depth in the back-three, so he’d have every chance of getting regular game time. Another guy Connacht should go after IMO, is Adam Byrne - who is 26 years old and never seems to get selected by Leinster in the big games. Like Wootton, he has all the talent in the world, but probably just needs a run of games to iron out some of the flaws defensively, to get to that next level.

Dowling to Connacht is probably the strangest of the signings, given Connacht’s current depth there. Gallagher has struggled for game time (partially due to injuries) and was/is a far bigger prospect than Dowling, IMO. Gallagher looked as good as James Ryan in that Ireland under-20 team, so it’s strange that he hasn’t kicked on.

Sam Arnold probably felt the same way about getting chances in Munster’s first team, as Salanoa felt about getting game time for Leinster. Two internationals in Chris Farrell and Damien De Allende blocking his path to the first team. He probably backs himself to take second centre position alongside Aki at Connacht. Will be difficult as there is a lot of competition for that jersey.
                    Last edited by Mumhain; 19th-May-2020, 14:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post
                      Connacht have signed four very good players, but Alex Wootton would be the best of the signings, if it were to happen, in my opinion. I still think Wootton has massive potential, but he seems to have fallen out of favour with the coaches and most fans. Connacht are lacking depth in the back-three, so he’d have every chance of getting regular game time. Another guy Connacht should go after IMO, is Adam Byrne - who is 26 years old and never seems to get selected by Leinster in the big games. Like Wootton, he has all the talent in the world, but probably just needs a run of games to iron out some of the flaws defensively, to get to that next level.

Dowling to Connacht is probably the strangest of the signings, given Connacht’s current depth there. Gallagher has struggled for game time (partially due to injuries) and was/is a far bigger prospect than Dowling, IMO. Gallagher looked as good as James Ryan in that Ireland under-20 team, so it’s strange that he hasn’t kicked on.

Sam Arnold probably felt the same way about getting chances in Munster’s first team, as Salanoa felt about getting game time for Leinster. Two internationals in Chris Farrell and Damien De Allende blocking his path to the first team. He probably backs himself to take second centre position alongside Aki at Connacht. Will be difficult as there is a lot of competition for that jersey.
                      Agree with most of that- Wootton didn’t get the game time he needed to develop, but then he was behind most of what we have in the back three, both in form and proven ability - a real chicken and egg problem. Sammys situation is different- no shortage of game time, really put himself into it, but showed less attacking ability - maybe because he was inside Scannell most of the time. I think we all really like Scannell as a player, really tries hard and a wonderful left boot, but doesn’t have the power at 12 that Sammy’s game might benefit from. Himself and Aki could be a really dangerous combination, and I really hope Sammy gets beyond his Munster level.

A dimension of the Arnold move that hasn’t been commented upon is the benefit for Dan Goggin. VG has played him almost across the back line, and he’s never let us down, but he now looks nailed on understudy at 13, and should really benefit from having such a high level 12 inside.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Agree with most of that- Wootton didn’t get the game time he needed to develop, but then he was behind most of what we have in the back three, both in form and proven ability - a real chicken and egg problem. Sammys situation is different- no shortage of game time, really put himself into it, but showed less attacking ability - maybe because he was inside Scannell most of the time. I think we all really like Scannell as a player, really tries hard and a wonderful left boot, but doesn’t have the power at 12 that Sammy’s game might benefit from. Himself and Aki could be a really dangerous combination, and I really hope Sammy gets beyond his Munster level.

A dimension of the Arnold move that hasn’t been commented upon is the benefit for Dan Goggin. VG has played him almost across the back line, and he’s never let us down, but he now looks nailed on understudy at 13, and should really benefit from having such a high level 12 inside.
                        Agree about Wootton not being on the same level as the top few options at Munster, but I would still rate him as having a higher ability than L.Coombes, Nash and Sweetnam. This isn't because I don't rate those three players, it is more so a reflection of how good I think Wootton could be. I understand that there more factors at play than just ability when making decisions between players, though. I think he could cement himself pretty quickly as the first choice winger at Connacht.

The Dan Goggin point is a really good one. He was becoming a little bit like Munster's version of Fergus McFadden. Really solid in any position you put him, but probably not great for his own career. Will be interesting to see if he can overtake Rory Scannell in the pecking order and if he can put any real pressure on Chris Farrell and Damien De Allende.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post

Agree about Wootton not being on the same level as the top few options at Munster, but I would still rate him as having a higher ability than L.Coombes, Nash and Sweetnam. This isn't because I don't rate those three players, it is more so a reflection of how good I think Wootton could be. I understand that there more factors at play than just ability when making decisions between players, though. I think he could cement himself pretty quickly as the first choice winger at Connacht.

The Dan Goggin point is a really good one. He was becoming a little bit like Munster's version of Fergus McFadden. Really solid in any position you put him, but probably not great for his own career. Will be interesting to see if he can overtake Rory Scannell in the pecking order and if he can put any real pressure on Chris Farrell and Damien De Allende.
                          That’s high praise- to me Nash looks to have real class, and lacks the defensive frailty. L Coombes clearly impressed the management set up, and Sweetnam has real grit. For me, however, Daly is better than all of them, and I hope we see more of him next year, but with Gallagher coming in it will be very busy in that back three, especially with Lowe becoming available for Ireland.

Comment

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connach...ing-players-2/

Comment

Where’s Adeolokun going?

is he that out of favour? Had a few injuries, but not mentioned as retiring
                              Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Very surprised Adeolokun is off. Reckon he's been lured away rather than let go. Very good player that could probably get a decent few quid abroad and he's achieved plenty with Connacht so may want a new experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X