Ulster Rugby thread 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

The reaction to last week's defeat was OTT. We were closer than the ten point difference and Leinster don't stay in 1st gear.
    Technically we played a better Leinster team (a working lineout and Sexton starting!) and lost by less, but I'd still be happier if I was an Ulster supporter.

It would have taken some luck, but Ulster looked like it was at least possible for them to win - we looked like we could be there all day and not score.

Mad that they have no home grown forwards in the squad beyond Henderson and Andrew, but players seem to buy into playing for them (and not use them like they do Connacht) so may not matter as much as we like to think.

Comment

Ulster had some lovely handling and passing tonight.... they just came across a barely legal defense with speed that smothers the opposition and forces turnovers/mistakes....
      He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by blueberry View Post

Technically we played a better Leinster team (a working lineout and Sexton starting!) and lost by less, but I'd still be happier if I was an Ulster supporter.

It would have taken some luck, but Ulster looked like it was at least possible for them to win - we looked like we could be there all day and not score.

Mad that they have no home grown forwards in the squad beyond Henderson and Andrew, but players seem to buy into playing for them (and not use them like they do Connacht) so may not matter as much as we like to think.
        Connacht relying on crumbs from the rich mans table........

Comment

he will be the toughest of the "imports' to support when he gets that green jersey. I don't see the Leinster media raising issues on that one as they did with Munster and Ulster players.
          Agree. Is Ireland that stuck for wingers we need to play Lowe? I don’t think so. We have believe it or not better options. Thought Lyttle and Stockdale outplayed him today. We have Dave Kearney previously capped for Ireland- what a wealth of experience he brings. Young Hugo looks amazing. Woot on doing well at Connacht. Not to mention the Munster options. No, can’t see a need for Lowe tbh.

Comment

Stockdale and Lowe, have some defensive frailties.... Stockdale, way more than Lowe...
            He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
              Stockdale and Lowe, have some defensive frailties.... Stockdale, way more than Lowe...
              Not sure you can say that on todays evidence

Comment

Well that went as expected in the end. Think the scoreline flattered Leinster but the intercept try changed the game.
                Billy Burns has always been mediocre at best, I'm bored of it now.
                Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
                http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
                  Ulster had some lovely handling and passing tonight.... they just came across a barely legal defense with speed that smothers the opposition and forces turnovers/mistakes....
                  Barely legal, or constantly offside ala Saracens? If everyone is offside it's hard to call.
                  Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
                  http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

The reaction to last week's defeat was OTT. We were closer than the ten point difference and Leinster don't stay in 1st gear.
                    Not sure about that. Leinster’s second half — while not perfect or particularly good viewing — was a fair bit above anything else they have produced post-lockdown.

The disappointment last weekend wasn’t really about the result, it was more so around the manner of the performance. A 10-point loss to Leinster is very respectable, having a game plan where you don’t try to utilize 4 of your best players ( Kieth Earls, Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Damien De Allende), having no detail in strike plays off set-pieces and making similar mistakes three years in a row, isn’t.

Ulster made plenty of tactical mistakes themselves, but one thing they did really was negating the Leinster double-man tackles. For the most part, the Ulster forwards’ tip-on passes and inside passes worked well and allowed Ulster ball-carriers to make yards against an aggressive Leinster defensive line. With a similar lack of ball-carriers in the Munster pack, it would be good to see us adopt a few more of them going forward against the bigger packs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie Brown View Post

Barely legal, or constantly offside ala Saracens? If everyone is offside it's hard to call.
                      thats what i was insinuating.

Comment

Originally posted by blueberry View Post

Not sure you can say that on todays evidence
                        of course i can... go back and look at the game...
                        also, Ulster definitely should have taken the points on offer....
                        as you said, if they trust themselves, they can clear a ball after a leinster restart...

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

VDF got it. Doris is the best 6 in Ireland at present. He's a better 8 than Conan too.
                          With Leavy still unfit, would like to see a Leinster back row of VDF/Doris(8)/Connors.

Ulster just lacked the oomph and the raw talent in several positions. Burns, who has the occasional good game, does not quite look up to it. Stockdale's speed and power are totally wasted when they can't figure a way to get him into the game.
                          McCloskey batters away valiantly but is not hard to defend against when you know what's coming.
                          Playing a backrow of VDF/Connors/Doris is an unbalanced backrow. By limiting the carrying options it means teams can gang up on Doris. Its basically trying to replicate what Munster do in having CJ as the only option.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
                            Playing a backrow of VDF/Connors/Doris is an unbalanced backrow. By limiting the carrying options it means teams can gang up on Doris. Its basically trying to replicate what Munster do in having CJ as the only option.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
                            Yes. You have a point. But Leinster have several other decent carriers in their whole front row and Ryan, as well as Ruddock on the bench. Depends how the coach wants to use his starters plus bench in overall game tactics. I still think that that fast, athletic and mobile back row would do very well in snuffing out the attacking options of most teams around the fringes and in gaining turnover ball. And it's not as though VDF and Connors can't carry a bit too, if required. I've seen them do it. I think Connors will be capped very soon.
                            Anyway - I think we could see future Leinster back rows built around Leavy and Doris, with VDF and Connors scrapping for the third spot - but they do have a heap of talented reserves in that department, including the underrated Ruddock, the very good Max Deegan, Murphy and Penny. Not sure how long Conan can hang on to his starting spot.
                            Many flankers these days are comfortable playing 6 or 7.
                            Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

As I said before the game. brace is a big advantage for Leinster. Seems incredibly ready to penalise in side and much slower on the other. In the ruck preceding the Lowe try Lowe takes Lyttle off the ball- but not picked up. Kelleher’s lineouts poor.

Beautiful finish from O Toole.
                              The one on Conan at around 29 minutes was downright laughable "LEAVE IT BLUE !!!"....about 5 seconds later Matthewson is pointing at Conan, Brace gives him another second or two and then reluctantly blows the whistle. There was another one soon after which was a joke as well. Leinster were allowed to slow the ball down all night long.

People waxing poetic about the Super Rugby and North South game down in NZ and the skills on display need to realize that those skills were on display in part b/c the players had time on the ball, time created b/c the refs were willing to say the word "offside" for more than the grossly obvious calls. There was a tackle by Toner on the carrier right after Cooney had passed the ball and I thought to myself "He's the slowest player on the pitch by a mile, yet he got there instantly after the ball..." that's just not possible if he is onside. It just isn't possible. They're not policing the offside line they way they need to and the breakdown discipline seems to be going out the window as well. I saw multiple leg lifts by Leinster this week and last week which were "missed". They're sliding back into old habits.

Burns played himself into a competition for the starting shirt, really poor tonight from him.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

VDF got it. Doris is the best 6 in Ireland at present. He's a better 8 than Conan too.
                                With Leavy still unfit, would like to see a Leinster back row of VDF/Doris(8)/Connors.

Ulster just lacked the oomph and the raw talent in several positions. Burns, who has the occasional good game, does not quite look up to it. Stockdale's speed and power are totally wasted when they can't figure a way to get him into the game.
                                McCloskey batters away valiantly but is not hard to defend against when you know what's coming.
                                Conan is a guy that seems to be feeling the heat. He went from being talked about as Ireland's future 8 after he took the jersey from Stander to a guy that got outplayed by Stander three weeks ago and gave away a bunch of sloppy penalties tonight while having no real positive impact on the game whole it was in question. Burns is another one. Madigan gets some love in the Ulster press and he starts making unforced errors all over the place

Comment

Working...
                                X