Leinster 2019/2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    Sarries do this. It's a head games thing, showing your opposition how unified and keyed in the whole team are

Intimidating effort
    The Ulster players started shouting their heads off just before the ?first lineout, on the halfway line East stand side.
    "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post

I’d read he was a prop previously and is known for being as strong as his brother is fast. If Niall Scannell wasn’t deemed good enough to displace Best then Kelleher should be fast tracked into the jersey. People need to stop with this he’s just 21 BS, or “it’s too early to say if he’s Bests replacement” if you’re good enough you’re old enough just look at Tom Curry, in Ireland he’d have stayed at home for the WC.
      Maybe relax until he’s played a bit of rugby against full strength sides in the HEC. It’s not about his age, it’s the quality he’s faced so far.

Looks the real deal but there should be no such thing as “fast tracking” for any player, just selection based on form against high quality opposition.

Assuming he holds onto his place as Leinster’s first choice hooker, he’ll be in the running for the 6Ns.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post
        You guys are just getting a bit wired now...
        Good player. Does act the bollix though. Not a likeable trait.

Comment

I think Lowe is to Munster fans what Zeebs was to Leinster goys
          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
            I think Lowe is to Munster fans what Zeebs was to Leinster goys
            Yes, and Zeebs has a tendency to act the bollix too, including on Twitter. Hasn’t done him any favours.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Maybe relax until he’s played a bit of rugby against full strength sides in the HEC. It’s not about his age, it’s the quality he’s faced so far.

Looks the real deal but there should be no such thing as “fast tracking” for any player, just selection based on form against high quality opposition.

Assuming he holds onto his place as Leinster’s first choice hooker, he’ll be in the running for the 6Ns.
              Sure, I said fast tracking as I don’t see the point in giving Scannell Cronin or Herring the jersey as come the next RWC they may not even be in the Irish squad.

Id just love for us to become more dynamic selectors, 18months ago you’d have bet your house on Marx and Ioane starring at the WC but they got dropped, that’s where we need to get to.
              \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Sure, I said fast tracking as I don’t see the point in giving Scannell Cronin or Herring the jersey as come the next RWC they may not even be in the Irish squad.

Id just love for us to become more dynamic selectors, 18months ago you’d have bet your house on Marx and Ioane starring at the WC but they got dropped, that’s where we need to get to.
                Agree no one should be given the jersey, and that the focus should be on the next WC. We can’t/shouldn’t just clear out now people unlikely to make the next WC. Instead what we should be doing is identifying the coming men, making sure the are involved in training camps, and get adequate time starting for their provinces, with a view to them getting bench and then starting time for Ireland, at least a year out from2023. We should be short listing two or three likely ones for each position- maybe reintroduce the wolfhounds. It may be that we should now be saying thank you and goodbye to any in the current squad who are 30 and over- although I can imagine that would flutter a few feathers here, and in the squad.

Comment

You don’t select a young lad now because somebody ahead of him may not be in the mix in four years’ time. It’s unnecessarily early.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Agree no one should be given the jersey, and that the focus should be on the next WC. We can’t/shouldn’t just clear out now people unlikely to make the next WC. Instead what we should be doing is identifying the coming men, making sure the are involved in training camps, and get adequate time starting for their provinces, with a view to them getting bench and then starting time for Ireland, at least a year out from2023. We should be short listing two or three likely ones for each position- maybe reintroduce the wolfhounds. It may be that we should now be saying thank you and goodbye to any in the current squad who are 30 and over- although I can imagine that would flutter a few feathers here, and in the squad.
                    Arbitrarily ditching the over 30s isn’t necessary, or right, yet. You’ve got a couple of years to groom potential replacements for those lads, then you can transition them in.

Ryan and Stockdale’s introductions were good examples. Just a shame there weren’t a few more.

Comment

Arbitrarily ditching the over 30s isn’t necessary, or right, yet. You’ve got a couple of years to groom potential replacements for those lads, then you can transition them in.

Ryan and Stockdale’s introductions were good examples. Just a shame there weren’t a few more.
                      Yes. Many players are at their best around 30, especially these days with personalized training programmes. Earls, at 31, still looks Irelands fastest back.

In the 1955 Lions tour to South Africa, the selectors decided not to pick anyone aged 30 or above for the squad. Jack Kyle was just 30, still one of the World's best FHs, but did not make the tour. He was the star player of the previous tour - 1950, to NZ. He continued to play for Ireland for a few more years. Imagine Kyle and Cliff Morgan as FHs on the same tour party. You'd never get a better pair.

Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Hope it was clear I agree with that- too soon to jettison the fully fit over 30s now, but we need to be prepared to replace them in a couple of years- hopefully whoever is coach going into the next World Cup won’t have painted himself into a corner the way Joe did.

Comment

You don’t select a young lad now because somebody ahead of him may not be in the mix in four years’ time. It’s unnecessarily early.
                          Why not? We always wait unnecessarily long to make change, just one example was all the ‘changing of the guard’ bs that came out around Rob and Larmour. Even waiting two 6ns to let Kelleher dispose Scannell would only leave Kelleher with two 6n (if fit) to get as much experience as possible under his belt, why deprive him of that gametime just cause there’s a fella who’s 27 and been patiently waiting as no2 for years, this is all very Irish.
                          \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Why not? We always wait unnecessarily long to make change, just one example was all the ‘changing of the guard’ bs that came out around Rob and Larmour. Even waiting two 6ns to let Kelleher dispose Scannell would only leave Kelleher with two 6n (if fit) to get as much experience as possible under his belt, why deprive him of that gametime just cause there’s a fella who’s 27 and been patiently waiting as no2 for years, this is all very Irish.
                            It isn’t just that Scannell has been waiting around. He is actually very good, and also has more experience of playing HCup and international rugby. It may be that Kelleher leap frogs him, but so far he has really not been up against that much- let’s see how he fares when he’s gone through the Hcup and interpros.

Comment

You’re seriously proposing to drop Kelleher straight into the Irish team on the back of some good Pro14 performances against weakened opposition because we have “only” 4 years to prepare for the next RWC.

How about this: let’s see how he does in some serious high pressure European games and if/when he looks like the best hooker in Ireland in those games, we give him his shot in the 6Ns. If he looks close, we cap him in the summer.

We have just as much a tendency in Ireland to anoint the latest starlet as world class, fast track them into the team, then refuse to consider anybody else no matter what.

Let’s have a bit of genuine competition for a change.

Comment

You’re seriously proposing to drop Kelleher straight into the Irish team on the back of some good Pro14 performances against weakened opposition because we have “only” 4 years to prepare for the next RWC.

How about this: let’s see how he does in some serious high pressure European games and if/when he looks like the best hooker in Ireland in those games, we give him his shot in the 6Ns. If he looks close, we cap him in the summer.

We have just as much a tendency in Ireland to anoint the latest starlet as world class, fast track them into the team, then refuse to consider anybody else no matter what.

Let’s have a bit of genuine competition for a change.
                                Thats a very IJWT inference there MB, I cant stand the sort of comments that start with "oh so because youve said this, do you seriously suggest that?"

Im saying that I think hes the real deal and I think he should start in the 6N cause if Scannell cant dislodge a 37 yr old then theres no hope for him. Obviously that statement also implies that Kelleher will do well for Leinster in the meantime, if he doesnt then fine.

Please do give me plenty of examples of where we fast track a starlet into the team and refuse to consider anyone else, you say we 'have just as much a tendancy' so you must have countless examples.

Now that you mention it, who was the last starlet we fast tracked into the team and how has he fared?

Comment

Working...
                                X