No announcement yet.

Leinster 2019/2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kearney was well past his best before date when he was dropped by Ireland and Leinster.

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
      Kearney was well past his best before date when he was dropped by Ireland and Leinster.
      Still, the central contract does help to pay for few extra academy players.

Comment

Always amazes me the bile & vitriol Kearney attracts here. Fantastic servant to Irish Rugby and would always be in the mix at 15 in any serious discussion for an all time Irish XV. Bumped into him in Fota golf club when the squad were training there before the 2015 world cup and he seemed pretty decent, happy to give his time, sign autographs, have a laugh and pose for photos with kids. He has a pretty decent drive too.
        Professional sportsmen don’t want to slip away gently, the drive that got them there in the first place does not disappear overnight, they want to keep going. The Irish contract system gives established internationals longer contracts to keep them here, overall it’s a good system despite certain flaws. The downside is that contract duration and age/loss of form don’t always coincide, if you're negotiating at 28/9 at your peak you're going to be looking for a 3 or 4 year deal if you can get it. ROG was persevered with in a very similar manner and in retrospect probably played one season too many in green. His last Irish appearance was not a good way to go out, he did not deserve that, but it happened because he hung on too long.
        Some posters blame Kearney for being picked ahead of Zebo. He did not pick himself; the coach did. Zebo has not exactly covered himself in glory on the subject in either his interviews or his posts on social media since going to France. Given how he has behaved himself arguably Schmidts decision to exclude him has been validated.
        Every coach has his preferences. Farrell will too. I wonder what the reaction here will be like when he picks James Lowe?

Comment

11 will probably be one of the most competitive spots when Lowe qualifies. You would imagine Conway would be wearing 14 so it’s one from Lowe, Earls and stockdale .... tough one to call but certainly no guarantee Lowe gets picked.
          “One, Fineen needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Fineen’s not on field, all the other players should be asking 'Where's Fineen?

Comment

Lowe is a fine player but is also a total arse who can't leave his hair alone for 10 minutes.
            Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
              Lowe is a fine player but is also a total arse who can't leave his hair alone for 10 minutes.
              There was an on going discussion during the Leinster Munster commentary by Toland et al. About whether he is international class. The consensus seemed to be that he hasnt proven it yet- which is sort of obvious- but was surprised the debate was even taking place. Like keith, in my book, an outstanding finisher.

Comment

Lowe is a phenomenal finisher, but I haven’t watched him closely enough to judge whether other aspects of his game are at the required level. Don’t think I’ve seen him play particularly badly in any game and would expect him to challenge.

Be a big call to drop Keet though. He’s been an incredibly consistent and potent weapon over the last few years and still is.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post
                  11 will probably be one of the most competitive spots when Lowe qualifies. You would imagine Conway would be wearing 14 so it’s one from Lowe, Earls and stockdale .... tough one to call but certainly no guarantee Lowe gets picked.
                  Lowe is a grand finisher and a big lump. He is not so hot in defence. He benefits from playing with Leinster, who are almost always on the front foot. But I can't be bothered watching yet another import play for Ireland, even if it is all legal and he has served his residency. There are some good Ireland wings and I want see as many Irish players on the national team as possible. It's a positive move that residency requirements are now extended to five years.

At the provincial level, I am also not happy to see the absence of local talent. Ulster's strongest starting pack at the moment has one Ulsterman in it - Henderson; the backs have maybe three/four Ulster born players. I am still a loyal supporter, but this does take the edge off. I'd love to see Irish rugby weaned off the reliance on imports to do the job. Some of the young developing players just need game time at the top level, but that is being blocked.. I'd rather see this than the signing of imports, some of whom are past their best.

Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                    Lowe is a phenomenal finisher, but I haven’t watched him closely enough to judge whether other aspects of his game are at the required level. Don’t think I’ve seen him play particularly badly in any game and would expect him to challenge.

Be a big call to drop Keet though. He’s been an incredibly consistent and potent weapon over the last few years and still is.
                    It’s a big call to drop Jacob too but Conway has to play on one of the wings, you would imagine on the right. Larmour Haley and Addison can fight it out over 15. Also if you were watching Lowe every week you would think he deserves a shot. He turns up every time against you lot and while he may be a bit of a rascal, no more so than your new scrum half is shaping up to be.

I’d go 11. Earls, 15. Larmour, 14. Conway
                    “One, Fineen needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Fineen’s not on field, all the other players should be asking 'Where's Fineen?

Comment

It’s a big call to drop Jacob too but Conway has to play on one of the wings, you would imagine on the right. Larmour Haley and Addison can fight it out over 15. Also if you were watching Lowe every week you would think he deserves a shot. He turns up every time against you lot and while he may be a bit of a rascal, no more so than your new scrum half is shaping up to be.

I'd swap Lar and Andy myself
                      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Can’t see Stockdale being dropped any time soon. Keith’s age is surely going to play against him soon.
                        "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Originally posted by offshorerules View Post
                          Can’t see Stockdale being dropped any time soon. Keith’s age is surely going to play against him soon.
                          Yeah, Earls has to start slowing down at some point but no sign of it yet. He seems to look after himself very well.

Not so sure about Stockdale at the moment. I think he has a big future but he’s had a few flaws exposed in the past year and lost a bit of form and confidence. Could see him losing out to Lowe or Conway in the short term.

A back three of Keet, Conway and Larmour would be incredibly exciting. They all have such pace and footwork and they pick great lines. Lowe and Stockdale offer a different sort of threat.

Comment

Very small International back 3. Might struggle against the likes of England France in physicality stakes. I'd have Earls, Addisson, Stockdale.

Comment

Originally posted by LPAC View Post

Very small International back 3. Might struggle against the likes of England France in physicality stakes. I'd have Earls, Addisson, Stockdale.
                              Honest question: has any player done less to become so many people’s chosen fullback than Addison?

I think he looks a decent attacking player, and he has good pace, but between injuries, shifting positions etc. has he really shown he’s a better option than Larmour, Haley, TOH, Conway and Stockdale?

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Yeah, Earls has to start slowing down at some point but no sign of it yet. He seems to look after himself very well.

Not so sure about Stockdale at the moment. I think he has a big future but he’s had a few flaws exposed in the past year and lost a bit of form and confidence. Could see him losing out to Lowe or Conway in the short term.

A back three of Keet, Conway and Larmour would be incredibly exciting. They all have such pace and footwork and they pick great lines. Lowe and Stockdale offer a different sort of threat.
                                What age is Keith? Sorry too lazy to look it up but I think he's 32 or 33. You're right he hasn't slowed up too much, if at all yet, but I can't see him going to the next RWC at 36/37. Lowe does not qualify until November 2020 I think so I don't think he will be capped in the Autumn. If not capped then I don't think he would be brought in to the 6N's unless for the Italian game or something like that in 2021. So barring injury Keith will have his place for this season and next in my opinion. This year I'd go for Earls Stockdale and Larmour with Conway on the bench. Tough on Andrew but them's the breaks.
                                "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Working...
                                X