No announcement yet.

Leinster 2019/2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To prevent clickbait here is what he says.

Note he rambles first about Eli Manning & NFL, then about the end of his own ‘career’ before continuing.... I’ll spare you that

”Rob Kearney got good news during the week — a contract extension. He was probably expecting the call.

He has had a dazzling career, and it can be said that since he was first capped right up until the recent World Cup he was an automatic choice for his country.

His durability, if not his dependability, suffered when he picked up a bad back injury about four seasons ago. But Kearney was good value for every performance he gave.

The nation knows how good he has been for his country and province. His CV will not be matched any time soon and he pretty much gets to go out on his own terms.

A contract extension though?

The first point is that it is very hard to walk away from it all when you are fit and still capable of playing at a high level. The second point is, yes, money is a factor.

Kearney still has a much-coveted central contract which has been extended to June 2020. The money he is on for the rest of the season is understandably down from his previous contract, but it is still significant.

Some rugby supporters may say that a player should just retire, walk away when they think their time is done, but they forget that in pay-for-play, earnings can fall off a cliff when you stop playing.

In all cases if it is medically viable and form wise it is plausible, well then, hell, keep going. Retire? No thanks, I have done nearly everything, but it is still important to earn. The currency of an international player is being current — once you no longer command a place on the national side the endorsements and brand ambassadorships dry up. You might even have to buy your own car.

And so, while Jordan Larmour, Andrew Conway and possibly Jacob Stockdale vie for the fullback position for the Six Nations, Kearney may just have to settle for a wet Friday night in Rodney Parade against the Dragons. Sometimes, understandably, the enthusiasm tapers off.

Kearney will play a part in Leinster’s strong push for yet more honours in May. The feeling I get, though, is that the contract to the end of June is almost a loyalty payment.

Kearney has on every level been brilliant for the IRFU, so what is an extra eight months’ pay? Professional sport can be cold-blooded and callous but if there is a little chink of charity shining through the compassionless windows of the IRFU, we may be seeing it now.

Let’s see if the trend is continued in June 2021 with Johnny Sexton and June 2022 with Conor Murray. Ireland’s halves have missed large chunks of the last several seasons and loyalty, charity and sentiment may only stretch so far if one or other gets injured too often.

It may not end well for both as the four-year World Cup cycle is running against them. The chances of an injury-free run in to the end of their careers are slim.”

"There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Yes- I think it’s one of the major sources of irritation with him, and central contracts, not sure what Dev’s situation is another in a similar vein. Am not sure why any older player would have had a central contract beyond the WC.
      No real issue with a fella making a decent salary if he can.

The problems arise when younger, better players (Zebo) lose out, or when similarly aged but more in form and durable players (Donnacha Ryan) are not treated in the same way.

Leinster basically get a player for free and Kearney gets himself a nice final payday. On the other hand, other provinces have to shell out to compete with foreign clubs or face losing key players, and the players themselves have to go abroad to be paid what they’re worth.

When you consider that Racing have been a major obstacle for us in Europe in recent years while featuring two of our top class home-grown players, both of whom were refused central contracts, this stuff really grates.

Comment

My God but the long Irish goodbye is ubiquitous in rugby nowadays.

I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
          My God but the long Irish goodbye is ubiquitous in rugby nowadays.
          Less golden handshake, more golden pisstake.

Comment

Kearney got that contact extension last May.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...-38153035.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post
              Kearney got that contact extension last May.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...-38153035.html
              He didn't merit it then either
              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Think of the implications. Who are we going to give out about when he's gone?
                "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

There's always one
                  Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

It could be if both provinces are allowed by the IRFU to go at it hammer and tongs with full First XV slections. I actually enjoyed seeing developing players getting a run in this weekend's interprovincials. Some good young talent coming through in all the provinces. But I'd want to see the best Leinster XV v. the best Munster XV go at it. With the new Ireland coach, it would have the added dimension of a potential 6N trial game too.
                    In fairness we have met in the knockout stages of the Pro14 the last couple of years and The game in the Aviva this year is after the internationals and a couple weeks out of a potential European game.
                    “One, Fineen needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Fineen’s not on field, all the other players should be asking 'Where's Fineen?

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post

He didn't merit it then either
                      Agreed. Rob had a great career but in the past two years he has not really merited selection over better players.
                      Watching the Connacht v. Munster game reinforced the notion that O'Halloran was sadly overlooked by Schmidt. A good all-round FB in both attack and defence, he has been a better player than Rob K. for some time. He seemed to be taking off when he was injured in the SA tour a couple of years ago but never got another chance after that. Now Larmour/Conway/Addison/and possibly Healy seem to have overtaken him.
                      If things had been just slightly different he might have been well-embedded in the Ireland squad by now.
                      Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
                        There's always one
                        It’s usually you :)
                        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

Agreed. Rob had a great career but in the past two years he has not really merited selection over better players.
                          Watching the Connacht v. Munster game reinforced the notion that O'Halloran was sadly overlooked by Schmidt. A good all-round FB in both attack and defence, he has been a better player than Rob K. for some time. He seemed to be taking off when he was injured in the SA tour a couple of years ago but never got another chance after that. Now Larmour/Conway/Addison/and possibly Healy seem to have overtaken him.
                          If things had been just slightly different he might have been well-embedded in the Ireland squad by now.
                          TOH is a guy I tend to bring up every time we talk about the Irish FB slot.

I don’t understand why, after earning that cap against SA and doing nothing wrong (other than suffering a poorly timed injury), he was banished from the Irish set up.

The lad is a top class player, and easily in the same league as Haley, Addison and the rest.

I think the prospect of Conway playing FB is dead and buried btw. He’s a quality winger and, with Haley and Daly going well at 15 for us, plus lads like Larmour and Stockdale playing there too, he’s probably better off staying put.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

It’s usually you :)
                            Ah well
                            Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post
                              Think of the implications. Who are we going to give out about when he's gone?
                              Leinster has a conveyor belt of townie shapers. A legion of haircuts and jotskis

I'd be confident some other numpty will come along
                              I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

TOH is a guy I tend to bring up every time we talk about the Irish FB slot.

I don’t understand why, after earning that cap against SA and doing nothing wrong (other than suffering a poorly timed injury), he was banished from the Irish set up.

The lad is a top class player, and easily in the same league as Haley, Addison and the rest.

I think the prospect of Conway playing FB is dead and buried btw. He’s a quality winger and, with Haley and Daly going well at 15 for us, plus lads like Larmour and Stockdale playing there too, he’s probably better off staying put.
                                Shame none of them were up to the standard of Kearney, Ireland’s most highly decorated player ever.
                                "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Working...
                                X