Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ronan O Gara - New Head coach of La Rochelle....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ronan O Gara - New Head coach of La Rochelle....

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...al-930259.html

Ronan O'Gara is on his way back to France, and a head coaching role with Top 14 over-achievers La Rochelle.

The French club confirmed O'Gara’s appointment today, with the Munster legend scheduled to take up the position at the end of July.

It will bring to an end a productive two-year coaching stint with the Christchurch-based Crusaders, which has already yielded one Super Rugby title – and may add another in the coming weeks.

O'Gara will work alongside La Rochelle Director of Rugby Jonno Gibbes, and replaces Xavier Garbajosa, who left the club earlier this month for the head coach role at Montpellier.

La Rochelle came up short last weekend in the semi finals of the Top 14, defeated 20-6 by Toulouse, who now meet Clermont Auvergne in this weekend’s final.

O'Gara’s Crusaders have already secured home field advantage through the Super Rugby play-offs, courtesy of a thumping 66-0 victory last weekend over the Rebels.

O’Gara is on his way back to France. Picture: INPHO/Photosport/Brendon Ratnayake
    If the Canterbury outfit progress once more to the final, O'Gara will be packing his bags after the July 6 decider, and will only have a short family holiday before returning to pre-season training at La Rochelle in the last week of July. The new Top 14 season in France kicks off on August 24.

Of course, the confirmation of his La Rochelle move snuffs out any lingering, and frankly remote, possibility that O'Gara was in the mix for the vacant backs/attack coaching role at his beloved Munster. Wallaby legend Stephen Larkham is in the frame for that position under coach Johann van Graan.

O'Gara’s La Rochelle move is an important addition to his already-impressive coaching CV, as he will have full responsibility for on-field coaching at the club. He turned down the opportunity to return to Racing 92 under Laurent Travers, who publicly courted the Irish man for a return to Paris.

However, O'Gara was eyeing a different sort of challenge this time. Ironically La Rochelle defeated Racing 19-13 in the Bouclier quarter-finals.
    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Gwan ROG. Never thought he was on his way here, but that's a great move for him. Onwards and upwards!
    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Best of luck to him!

Comment

There are now the same number of Irish head coaches in the Top14 as there are in the Irish pro game.

Comment

Great achievement for ROG- a success there and he’ll be a show in for any Irish rugby job he wants.

Comment

He'll build up his CV and knowledge base until he's achieved Schmidt level omnipotence, then he'll become Munster head coach.

As an aside, can anyone imagine ROG speaking French in his ultra-slow, graveyard-serious manner?

Comment

Originally posted by Brenny View Post
              He'll build up his CV and knowledge base until he's achieved Schmidt level omnipotence, then he'll become Munster head coach.
              If Munster was the end goal, he could have been in the job already. Munster may be a stepping stone on the way to the Ireland job or a step down afterwards, possibly both, but ROG has been so measured and deliberate in each step he has taken in his coaching career so far, I have no doubt it is the Ireland job he wants.

Comment

Munster and La Rochelle in the same Champions Cup group for 2019/'20 ? Draw on 19th. June.

Comment

Originally posted by <BM> View Post

If Munster was the end goal, he could have been in the job already. Munster may be a stepping stone on the way to the Ireland job or a step down afterwards, possibly both, but ROG has been so measured and deliberate in each step he has taken in his coaching career so far, I have no doubt it is the Ireland job he wants.
                  The Indo backs me up (I'm definitely wrong so)

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby...-38214900.html
                  The move bodes well for both parties as well as Munster, who will hope that the next stop along O'Gara's increasingly fascinating journey is home.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenny View Post

The Indo backs me up (I'm definitely wrong so)

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby...-38214900.html

That Indo article states La Rochelle is in the south of France, which kind of blows it's credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Murillo View Post

That Indo article states La Rochelle is in the south of France, which kind of blows it's credibility.
                      Sweet Jesus.

ROG is still coming though

Comment

Working...
                      X