Gallagher Premiership 2018-19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
    Tigers still need another win, but that away win could be vital, just hope we can sort the problems out off the park and the players can get back to focusing on the day job. Bristol at home this weekend could just be the game, but Briz have hopes of top 6 for next years Heineken qualification.
    Won't be easy TB
    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Tigers still need another win, but that away win could be vital, just hope we can sort the problems out off the park and the players can get back to focusing on the day job. Bristol at home this weekend could just be the game, but Briz have hopes of top 6 for next years Heineken qualification.
      You are getting a great guy in Jaco for next season. We will miss him.
      Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
        Well done Deccie - a good omen
        Declan Kidney's London Irish secured promotion back to the Gallagher Premiership after recording a 46-7 victory over Richmond.
        The Exiles, who were relegated from English rugby union's top flight last term, guaranteed an immediate return with a bonus-point success.
        It was their 19th Championship victory of the season, with the title and promotion being clinched one game inside the distance.
        Former Sale flanker TJ Ioane and wing Ben Loader each scored scored two tries, while there were also touchdowns for Albert Tuisue, Bryce Campbell, Josh McNally and Alivereti Veitokani.
        Irish, whose final league game is against second-placed Ealing Trailfinders on 27 April, look set to replace Newcastle in the Premiership next season.
        With keats only on loan it strikes me that maybe he should have gone there for longer, but who don’t they have lined up as a 10 for next year?

.... and then I remembered your man from the north is going there next year.

....and then I found this, https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.r...eason-2019-20/

will they be known as the not,not, nots now? Not London, not Irish and not a sign of an English player.
        Last edited by lawrence; 22nd-April-2019, 18:41.

Comment

Interesting article in the Grauniad Breakdown. It starts with a very good quote

" “Two nations; between whom there is no intercourse and no sympathy; who are as ignorant of each other’s habits, thoughts, and feelings, as if they were dwellers in different zones, or inhabitants of different planets.”

Benjamin Disraeli was writing about the rich and the poor, but his words could also apply to the gulf that has grown between the Premiership and the Championship."

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

With keats only on loan it strikes me that maybe he should have gone there for longer, but who don’t they have lined up as a 10 for next year?

.... and then I remembered your man from the north is going there next year.

....and then I found this, https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.r...eason-2019-20/

will they be known as the not,not, nots now? Not London, not Irish and not a sign of an English player.
            Aren't they moving to share Brentford FC's new stadium next season?

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post

Aren't they moving to share Brentford FC's new stadium next season?
              https://www.london-irish.com/news/ba...london/bp2044/

The season after apparently- start of the 20/21 season, 17250k capacity. They will need to make sure they stay up next season but with the signings they are making, or trying to make and Kidney in charge you would expect them to do so.

Anytime I read things like this I wonder why we dont have more community stadium in Ireland, it should really be a stipulation of government investment of public funding. There is no reason that Munster and Cork City shouldn't be sharing a 10k stadium in Turners cross especially now that it has an astro turf pitch, Donnybrook Rugby ground could easily be shared with a LOI side, and all these grounds could be used by GAA clubs as well.

I know limerick FC played a few games at TP but the attendance probably didn't make it feasible. Connacht are developing a ground that could easily be shared with Galway FC as the seasons dont overlap much.

Anyway the best of luck to LI, its all looking a bit mercenary like from their recruitment but I will be keeping a keen eye on how kidney goes.
              Last edited by lawrence; 25th-April-2019, 18:57.

Comment

I agree. There should be one big stadium, municipally owned, in all of our big cities, like they do in France and Italy.

Let each code, GAA, Rugby and Soccer have their own grounds where their "normal" games are played. When big matches come around, Munster Finals, Euro Semi-finals, SH Tours, Champions' League etc. they move to the big ground.

Toulouse is an example.

Comment

I agree. There should be one big stadium, municipally owned, in all of our big cities, like they do in France and Italy.

Let each code, GAA, Rugby and Soccer have their own grounds where their "normal" games are played. When big matches come around, Munster Finals, Euro Semi-finals, SH Tours, Champions' League etc. they move to the big ground.

Toulouse is an example.
                  Marseille where next years HCUP final is on 67k is another one.

Comment

Well Newcastle are relegated and the Tigers are safe for now, at least Jaco won't be suffering total embarrassment when he joins us. First time we have not qualified for the Heineken, the last premiership side to not qualify, so we won't be crossing swords next season. Stay safe guys and I hope we get back to something like a half decent side and can compete at the top table again soon.

Comment

Toulouse is an example.
                      Slight quirk of Irish history is that the state has subsidised the building of large stadia all over the country. However, the organisation that owns them won’t rent them out to other sports.

We don’t need more stadia. We need the dinosaurs in the GAA to get over themselves and let others use them occasionally.

Comment

Well Newcastle are relegated and the Tigers are safe for now, at least Jaco won't be suffering total embarrassment when he joins us. First time we have not qualified for the Heineken, the last premiership side to not qualify, so we won't be crossing swords next season. Stay safe guys and I hope we get back to something like a half decent side and can compete at the top table again soon.
                        I hope you will too- and delighted you avoided the drop.

Comment

London Irish add Naholo for next season, they are assembling a fine team on paper at least.
                          https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/48200405

Something to remember about LI for next season is that their competition will be missing their key players due to the world cup. A fixture against Sarries in September- December is a much different prospect to playing them in January - March.

It was a big factor in Connachts League win in 2016

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                            London Irish add Naholo for next season, they are assembling a fine team on paper at least.
                            https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/48200405

Something to remember about LI for next season is that their competition will be missing their key players due to the world cup. A fixture against Sarries in September- December is a much different prospect to playing them in January - March.

It was a big factor in Connachts League win in 2016
                            English league next season doesn't begin until latter half of October and runs on into June.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post

English league next season doesn't begin until latter half of October and runs on into June.
                              With England due to win the World Cup that’s three rounds of fixtures, then maybe two weeks to get all the players out of jail, and another two for them to sober up. LI will be top by Christmas and relegation contenders by Easter.

Comment

London Irish have signed Australia lock Adam Coleman for the 2019-20 season.

Coleman is Irish's fourth signing of the week, following Wallabies team-mate Sekope Kepu,New Zealander winger Waisake Naholoand Perpignan fly-half Paddy Jackson.

Comment

Working...
                                X