Gallagher Premiership 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

And a good thing too- it was left lie a couple of years ago and Saracens just took the p*ss- and besides, keeping their own top players in England is in their own interests, and special circumstance or no, it raises the prospect of a wider weakening of the defences.
    Not really special circumstances anyway.

Nothing stopping Itoje playing in England and for England next season. If he wants to play top flight he could go to another GP club - I’m sure there’s a few that would have him - but this is all about meeting his demand for big money and Sarries’ desire to have him back in a year.

Fup ‘em, they made their beds with their “special arrangements” and both slept very well up to this point. No harm if they lose a bit now.

Comment

On BBC today, around the discussion of various premiership clubs taking a 25% cut in wages- Leicester said that they would lose £1m from the three home games they have scheduled in April. The club said ‘The loss of income from ticket sales and other matchday activities costs the club a figure between £300,000 and £400,000 per home game; taking lost revenues beyond £1m solely for this period in March to April.’

Does any one know what Munster take in when playing at home in Cork and Limerick?

Comment

On BBC today, around the discussion of various premiership clubs taking a 25% cut in wages- Leicester said that they would lose £1m from the three home games they have scheduled in April. The club said ‘The loss of income from ticket sales and other matchday activities costs the club a figure between £300,000 and £400,000 per home game; taking lost revenues beyond £1m solely for this period in March to April.’

Does any one know what Munster take in when playing at home in Cork and Limerick?
        Depends on whether it’s communion season?

ill get my coat
        Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Would reckon Leicester are about 18,000 per home game and the crowd are mainly from the towns/villages, not so much from the City which follows the football, so supporters are traveling into Leicester and set in their ways, like same little travel groups etc.,

Comment

"There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Comment

Interesting piece in the Grauniad.

It would appear that the penny has dropped.

​​​​​​Mr Crossan of London Irish says:

"Club rugby has to change, last season cost me £4m and I can’t afford that. It’s definitely not a sustainable business. We cannot keep relying on rich benefactors. This crisis may actually help club rugby if everyone cuts their cloth to suit their pockets and it brings back common sense.”

Mr Sweeney of the RFU says:

“We do not want to come back in and carry on with the same model that repeats the errors of the past”

Mr Davies of the WRU says:

“We are all acutely aware that from present adversity new opportunity could, and very much should, be born Streamlining our playing calendar and balancing up the need for revenue generation have long been issues facing our sport.......... the result should be a truly global international calendar. Unity is not only the key to survival but long-term prosperity.”

The author concludes:
                ​​​​​​​
                "The playing calendar in Europe is a compromised mish-mash, a product of the drive for cash, which serves neither club nor country well. It cannot survive the current crisis and unions will never have a better opportunity to force change. The game needs them to seize the moment."

Comment

post deleted

Comment

I doubt the PRL will agree to much in the way of change, there's already too much money invested for them to allow outsiders to dictate what happens. Whilst England keep winning 6 nations and filling the old cabbage patch, the suits will huff and puff a bit but won't worry if nothing changes. The RFU could not afford to play the premierships wage bill

Comment

In response to Piquet’s post above, Richmond seem to have the right idea.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...e_iOSApp_Other
                      english by birth

Comment

Originally posted by munster by marriage View Post
                        In response to Piquet’s post above, Richmond seem to have the right idea.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...e_iOSApp_Other
                        Sounds exactly the right model- for that level- as long as training and safety facilities are up to scratch. I’m not sure it works as easily when you have players at international level who, quite reasonably, see it as their way of making a living, and TV companies seeing it as a way of stocking their shelves of programming.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                          post deleted
                          A penny for your thoughts on this pp
                          Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Ugo Monye's take on things in the Grauniad

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                              Ugo Monye's take on things in the Grauniad
                              I think he pressed replay rather than reset.

Comment

I stumbled into re-reading Ugo's 2019 Guardian article on the Bloodgate Harlequins farce - the scandal of its day (particularly since it later emerged that Harlequins had perpetrated similar frauds several times previously under that coaching team). With the benefit of 10 years of distance since the event, and the cooling of the passions and emotions that surrounded it, Ugo's 2019 considered reflections quite surprised me. He still seemed to be of the opinion that Williams let them all down. After the club made what Ugo called an unconditional offer of compensation to Williams if he would swallow the 1 year ban ("unconditional" how precisely?) which Ugo thinks was definitely not blackmail, Ugo and some other senior players met Williams en masse to discuss the matter. (Sounds like considerable pressure to me). The club and everyone in it would be better off if all involved kept their mouths shut about the undisclosed real facts and took their punishment. Following those meetings with club management and senior players Williams iinitially accepted the offer, and then went back on his decision. After his whistleblowing, Williams ban was reduced from 12 months to 4. Ugo still believes this was bad form by Williams, dishonest and self-seeking - he should have "taken one for the team". I find it somewhat surprising/ disappointing that Ugo seems still to be hanging onto those views, as if time, distance and maturity have not yet been fully reflected in his view of the morality of the actions all involved in the frauds and the cover-up, including himself as a senior player.

Comment

Working...
                                X