Gallagher Premiership 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
    Good BBC piece here....(leaving aside the pro-England bias)

Saracens relegation 'is most remarkable scandal in the domestic game'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51168926
    Basically they'll try to remain a closed book because they loves their tarnished ware
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
      Despite the French cap being 3m higher Lorenzetti wants European action v Salaries
      In fairness, Lorenzetti clearly said that once you take the dispensation for marquee players into account, there’s very little difference between the caps in England and France. Now, I don’t know the exact numbers, but he may well be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

In fairness, Lorenzetti clearly said that once you take the dispensation for marquee players into account, there’s very little difference between the caps in England and France. Now, I don’t know the exact numbers, but he may well be right.
        If the Tans hadn't decided to drive the pound down with Brexit then the English cap would be higher than French all things considered.
        "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Why are the media playing thick about this. Saracen's have been cooking their books for the best part of a decade.
          Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
          http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie Brown View Post
            Why are the media playing thick about this. Saracen's have been cooking their books for the best part of a decade.
            In fairness Franno was on their case years ago
            Gwan Joe!!

Comment

So of course they draw Leinster. The biggest cheats in rugby knock out one province in the groups and now, knowing they have nothing to play for in the league, can focus all their efforts on the chumps cup. Which, lest we forget, was handed over to the likes of Wray because they knew how to run a propa business m8.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                So of course they draw Leinster. The biggest cheats in rugby knock out one province in the groups and now, knowing they have nothing to play for in the league, can focus all their efforts on the chumps cup. Which, lest we forget, was handed over to the likes of Wray because they knew how to run a propa business m8.
                English speaking NH rugby will be desperate that Leinster beat saracens. It’s no longer just a ‘rugby’ story here, the governance of the premiership is being brought into question. English rugby is being represented by a team that cheated its way to the remarkable run of success they have had. That doesn’t sit well in the English stomach.

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post

If the Tans hadn't decided to drive the pound down with Brexit then the English cap would be higher than French all things considered.
                  I’d like you to explain the “Tans” word above- if it’s what I think it it it is down right offensive and if we were all referred to by an adjective that reflected heinous acts perpetrated in our name, we would be justifiably offended.
                  Last edited by jagawayagain; 20th-January-2020, 11:25.

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post

No expert but didn't realise there was a salary cap in France we keep hearing about 25m plus budgets

Comment

Originally posted by michael400 View Post

No expert but didn't realise there was a salary cap in France we keep hearing about 25m plus budgets
                      Nobody is throwing those numbers around, unless they’re talking about total budgets for all expenses (including academy, SG&A etc.)

The salary cap in France is a little over 11m Euros. So, higher than in England, but not that much higher given the GP clubs get to include some top players outside the cap.

My guess would be Sarries were spending even more than the French.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Nobody is throwing those numbers around, unless they’re talking about total budgets for all expenses (including academy, SG&A etc.)

The salary cap in France is a little over 11m Euros. So, higher than in England, but not that much higher given the GP clubs get to include some top players outside the cap.

My guess would be Sarries were spending even more than the French.
                        Thanks for clarification mustn't listen to media speculation

Comment

I genuinely think this could be the end of them.

I've looked at their publicly available returns for a few years, and honestly they are screwed. Losses since forever, 45m in the red. They have letters of comfort from Premier Team Holdings Limited, another Saffa shell company that seem to control Sarries. HMRC will be all over them soon, and I can't imagine their main sponsor continuing to provide funding.

It's an absolute mess.
                          Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Incredible and essential listening.

Ugo Monye is either wilfully ignoring the facts, or he's an idiot. Tis pure propaganda.

Then they get Brendan Venter on Skype :D

"Nigel has owned the club for 25 years, it wasn't just the money won the titles otherwise it would have happened 20 years ago!"

Delicious delicious tears
                            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

Your making the assumption that the players knew this was being done to subvert the rules, I’m not convinced it was, and have seen no evidence of that being the case.

It’s possible, but it’s also possible that the players signed a deal based on Wrey leveraging his business acumen and giving players a chance to start a business that would give them an income after their career finishes, which is an attractive offer.

Elliott Daly is reported you have signed for less than wasps were offering, maybe that’s based on establishing a business with Wray outside of his basic pay, and with Wrey success as a businessman it would be a smart move for a player.
                              Just bumping this because however much it amused me a month ago it is a lot funnier now. "Business acumen" in the Jeff Skilling sense.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                                It would be useful to see how the commercial side of the new competition is doing relative to its predecessor.

Comment

Working...
                                X