Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
    Saracens club statement...
    SARACENS RUGBY CLUB IS SHOCKED AND DISAPPOINTED BY THESE HEAVY-HANDED SANCTIONS AND WILL LAUNCH AN APPEAL AGAINST ALL THE DISCIPLINARY PANEL’S FINDINGS.

The Club is pleased the Panel acknowledged it did not deliberately attempt to breach the salary cap and steadfastly maintains that player co-investments do not constitute salary under the regulations. This view is supported by independent legal and professional experts.

The Club will continue to vigorously defend this position especially as PRL precedent already exists whereby co-investments have not been deemed part of salary in the regulations.

As previously stated, the Club made administrative errors relating to the non-disclosure of some transactions to PRL and for this we apologise. We are pleased to confirm we now have a robust governance framework in place and this will be overseen by an external counsel to ensure the Club follows best practice.

Furthermore, it is the Club’s belief that the Panel’s narrow interpretation of the regulations is detrimental to player welfare across the league and is damaging the development of elite level rugby in the UK.

Saracens is proud of its pioneering, innovative approach to player welfare, developing their talents and supporting their entrepreneurial spirit for life beyond rugby.

Q&A

The Club has received the Disciplinary Panel‘s findings and will be appealing. We are recognise that supporters will have a number of questions. Hopefully, the following will address some of those.

What happens during the appeal and how long will the appeal process take?

The sanctions will be suspended until after the appeal process is complete. We do not know the timeframe for the appeal process.

Does this outcome affect any of your Premiership titles?

No. Any points sanction that may be imposed in the future would not have an impact on any trophies the team has previously won.

Will the Club now be forced to sell players to comply with the salary cap?

No. The Club allocates a set budget for player remuneration which the CEO and coaching staff take full responsibility for. This budget falls within the salary cap and has no connection whatsoever to third party co-investments.

How does this verdict affect the Club’s transfer policy?

Regardless of the appeal, this outcome does not prevent the Club from signing new players.

How does this verdict affect the team’s preparation for the season ahead

Mark McCall, his coaches and players prepare for all of our games in the same focussed, committed way and that will continue to be the case. We are a very tight family and this will only make us closer.

what a badly done statement, that piece I highlighted is brilliant, they know they haven’t been compliant, and wonder now will they have to!!!!

Comment

A downside:
      if saracens are pre-doomed in this year's league, they can go all out for the European Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by aupa les rouges View Post
        A downside:
        if saracens are pre-doomed in this year's league, they can go all out for the European Cup.
        They'll have to go all out to stay in the Premiership. A 35 point deficit would have left them 10th last season.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

They'll have to go all out to stay in the Premiership. A 35 point deficit would have left them 10th last season.
          They've been talking about ring fencing before and I believe it's permitted under the Premiership's consitutional documents.

EDIT: Ring fencing meaning not relegating anybody down to the Championship

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Snrub View Post

They've been talking about ring fencing before and I believe it's permitted under the Premiership's consitutional documents.

EDIT: Ring fencing meaning not relegating anybody down to the Championship
            Can’t see the other clubs agreeing to ring fencing before the end of this season just to save Sarries from self-inflicted wounds. They’d all be quite happy to see them go down and try to pick up a few of their big names.

Comment

The real repercussions will hit home next season.

Even if they manage to stay up (which I think they will), it’s highly unlikely Sarries will be in the European Cup.

They’ll almost certainly have to let some players go now they can’t pay them through dodgy property deals.

Finding the money to pay the fine, and the public humiliation, may also be the final straw for Wray and co. One thing to keep them afloat when they’re winning everything, another when they’re a bottom-feeding money pit with 10 supporters.

Comment

Kelly in Indo suggesting McCall knew nothing....dont know McCall and he seems like a decent type but also a very smart operator. He knew what was going on but chose to believe that it was in keeping with the letter of the rules even if it wasnt the spirit of them. Which the PRL disagreed with.
                Hard to feel any sympathy.
                My guess however they will circle the wagons and will be harder to beat in EC this year, even if they have to target the Premiership to stay up

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                  The real repercussions will hit home next season.

Even if they manage to stay up (which I think they will), it’s highly unlikely Sarries will be in the European Cup.

They’ll almost certainly have to let some players go now they can’t pay them through dodgy property deals.

Finding the money to pay the fine, and the public humiliation, may also be the final straw for Wray and co. One thing to keep them afloat when they’re winning everything, another when they’re a bottom-feeding money pit with 10 supporters.
                  They could still qualify for next season's Heineken Cup by winning it this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post
                    Kelly in Indo suggesting McCall knew nothing....dont know McCall and he seems like a decent type but also a very smart operator. He knew what was going on but chose to believe that it was in keeping with the letter of the rules even if it wasnt the spirit of them. Which the PRL disagreed with.
                    Hard to feel any sympathy.
                    My guess however they will circle the wagons and will be harder to beat in EC this year, even if they have to target the Premiership to stay up
                    he must have known something dodgy was going on . Made absolutely no sense that such a poorly supported club could keep such a great squad of players

Comment

Originally posted by padders View Post

he must have known something dodgy was going on. Made absolutely no sense that such a poorly supported club could keep such a great squad of players
                      Any defence of anybody involved in the club at any level (all the way down to the hot dog vendors and the lad who turns on the annoying music) is ridiculous.

This has been fully out there in the open for years - a bit of Googling reveals the whole thing. The companies have a statutory obligation to publish this stuff: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10971815/persons-with-significant-control

I was actually shocked that it took the papers so long to do their exposés.

Nobody in the club can deny knowledge of wrongdoing, they all just turned a blind eye and hoped they got away with it.

Last edited by Mr Snrub; 5th-November-2019, 15:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Snrub View Post

Any defence of anybody involved in the club at any level (all the way down to the hot dog vendors and the lad who turns on the annoying music) is ridiculous.

This has been fully out there in the open for years - a bit of Googling reveals the whole thing. The companies have a statutory obligation to publish this stuff: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10971815/persons-with-significant-control

I was actually shocked that it took the papers so long to do their exposés.

Nobody in the club can deny knowledge of wrongdoing, they all just turned a blind eye and hoped they got away with it.

I do not like Saracens the institution. but to say that "Any defence of anybody involved in the club at any level is ridiculous" is just b*llocks.

I know a number of people who work for Saracens, in junior coaching and outreach capacity. To a man and woman they have been fantastic to deal with and are real rugby people. Do you think they mull over the financial statements and Companies house data on a weekly basis? They do in their hole.

It's highly likely they will lose their jobs if Sarries go under.

I hope you are enjoying your schadenfreude.
                        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post

I do not like Saracens the institution. but to say that "Any defence of anybody involved in the club at any level is ridiculous" is just b*llocks.

I know a number of people who work for Saracens, in junior coaching and outreach capacity. To a man and woman they have been fantastic to deal with and are real rugby people. Do you think they mull over the financial statements and Companies house data on a weekly basis? They do in their hole.

It's highly likely they will lose their jobs if Sarries go under.

I hope you are enjoying your schadenfreude.
                          Can you see them going under Fitzy? I can see them getting a reduction on appeal and offloading a few internationals to cut costs. I also don't like them for their carry on at Vicarage Rd and for Wray (and Meville) destroying the old Heineken Cup but I would never want to see a club go to the wall.
                          He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by redherring View Post

Can you see them going under Fitzy? I can see them getting a reduction on appeal and offloading a few internationals to cut costs. I also don't like them for their carry on at Vicarage Rd and for Wray (and Meville) destroying the old Heineken Cup but I would never want to see a club go to the wall.
                            What if Wray throws his toys out of the pram and decides to cut and run? Such woulkd be the downward spiral, it would be very hard for the current club to continue in that scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by redherring View Post

If that fine isn't reduced, and the club can't be sold, they are toast.
                              Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Sarries will survive even if the points deduction and fine are not reduced on appeal.

I have little doubt they will be back at the top of the Premiership in 2020/21 season.

Last time I was there (January 2016) was a very enjoyable experience, apart from the result.
                                Last edited by glorob; 5th-November-2019, 22:15.

Comment

Working...
                                X