No announcement yet.

Transfers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's on some journey. Unusual in the annals of Irish rugby.
    Last edited by ustix; 18th-March-2020, 23:47.
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Shades of Gray, Richie replacing Johnny next season at Glasgow. Jamie Roberts leaving Bath with immediate effect to join the Stormers for the Super Rugby season.

Comment

Originally posted by neill_m View Post
        Shades of Gray, Richie replacing Johnny next season at Glasgow. Jamie Roberts leaving Bath with immediate effect to join the Stormers for the Super Rugby season.

Did Jamie Roberts qualify as a medical doctor, thought there were problems if he then did not practice medicine for 12 months or do Bath give him time off ?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post

Did Jamie Roberts qualify as a medical doctor, thought there were problems if he then did not practice medicine for 12 months or do Bath give him time off ?
          Became Dr Roberts in 2013, currently studying for a MPhil in Medical Science at Cambridge according to wiki. He is replacing De Allende at the Stormers for the season who is playing in Japan before coming to Limerick in the summer.

Comment

Mad Dog Madser off to Ulster next season. He’ll have to leave his special boots at home

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2020/...digan-signing/
            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Not impressed with this one
              Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
              http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Don’t see the logic of that at all.

Comment

Bill Johnson will have his hands full getting ahead of BillyBurns and Viscount Wonderhair
                  I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                    Bill Johnson will have his hands full getting ahead of BillyBurns and Viscount Wonderhair
                    Good for ulster, presumably increased cover for Burns who may have more international demands, but not great- as you say- for Bill. Wonder if he might come back to us- must be odds on Tyler is finished.

Comment

I'm not convinced by Madigan. He always made a few high profile errors per game and it seems he's never been first choice for any team he's been with.

Comment

He might well offer stronger cover at 9.
                        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
                          He might well offer stronger cover at 9.
                          They have already added Alby, and Shanahan is very capable. Am glad we didn’t go for him.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Good for ulster, presumably increased cover for Burns who may have more international demands, but not great- as you say- for Bill. Wonder if he might come back to us- must be odds on Tyler is finished.
                            I'm not so sure it isn't the other way around, tbh. I could see him competing for the starter's role at Ulster. For now Burns is the starter and Madigan will have to take the shirt off him if he wants to resume his international career. I don't see Burns as an international level player. Ireland have a bit of a crisis at the position at the moment. Sexton is in decline and barely plays for his club,they can't continue to justify selecting him for much longer, the heir apparent is always hurt, they don't seem to rate Ross Byrne all that highly or trust him, Carty was demoted from the squad after the WC and not been in his best form this season, Burns has been playing well but he's never been capped so he's a bit of a mystery. The only other players with any significant international experience at the position are Paddy Jackson who is in exile, and Madigan. The main things he has over Burns at the moment is versatility and goal kicking. People give out about how Madigan never nailed down the starting role, but Gloucester essentially shoved Burns out the door by signing Cipriani so they couldn't have been all that satisfied with him if they were actively looking for an upgrade.

As for Bill Johnston, yeah that has to be tough on him, being bumped down to third(presumably) in the pecking order. He's only 23 so he has time to develop; the issue is game time. These guys just don't get the minutes that young players in the permiership get. There are only 4 teams, and careers are longer now that the money is getting bigger year on year. More and more over 30s are still playing b/c the money is just too good, and it is holding younger guys back.

Comment

All good points Finnegan- I hadn’t really thought of him as relevant to Ireland any more, and really hope he isn’t.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

I'm not so sure it isn't the other way around, tbh. I could see him competing for the starter's role at Ulster. For now Burns is the starter and Madigan will have to take the shirt off him if he wants to resume his international career. I don't see Burns as an international level player. Ireland have a bit of a crisis at the position at the moment. Sexton is in decline and barely plays for his club,they can't continue to justify selecting him for much longer, the heir apparent is always hurt, they don't seem to rate Ross Byrne all that highly or trust him, Carty was demoted from the squad after the WC and not been in his best form this season, Burns has been playing well but he's never been capped so he's a bit of a mystery. The only other players with any significant international experience at the position are Paddy Jackson who is in exile, and Madigan. The main things he has over Burns at the moment is versatility and goal kicking. People give out about how Madigan never nailed down the starting role, but Gloucester essentially shoved Burns out the door by signing Cipriani so they couldn't have been all that satisfied with him if they were actively looking for an upgrade.

As for Bill Johnston, yeah that has to be tough on him, being bumped down to third(presumably) in the pecking order. He's only 23 so he has time to develop; the issue is game time. These guys just don't get the minutes that young players in the permiership get. There are only 4 teams, and careers are longer now that the money is getting bigger year on year. More and more over 30s are still playing b/c the money is just too good, and it is holding younger guys back.
                                The Viscount had an absolutely brilliant game when he came on V France in RWC 2015. He was in tears at the end as it meant so much to him personally. Suspect he really regrets not staying, but he was never the type of player who was going to thrive under the increasingly prescriptive Schmidt regime. I suspect he knew that himself when he made the decision to go abroad. O’Connor signed Gopperth after Schmidt went upstairs to Ireland - as we now know that was unlikely to have happened without Schmidts initial blessing - I imagine it made Madigan more receptive to offers elsewhere. He wasn’t to blame for the defeat to the Argies either in fairness in RWC 15.
                                Personally would never be disappointed to see a guy like him, for who it obviously meant so much, to play for Ireland again. At his best he is a lovely instinctive footballer who plays heads up rugby and attacks the line very flat. He might well find a more kindred spirit in Mike Catt. The downside to guys like him is that is the back row and centres dont know where he is off to next he is hard to back up, but he is an incredibly creative player. At times it ends in disaster but the creative 10s like Finn Russell are like that. I wouldn’t rule him out of the international picture just yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X