Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captain Fantastic View Post

I always practice restraint
    They deservedly beat us in the SF,no question about it....But nobody can tell me their team is under the salary cap. Their side would give most international teams a game.
    I’d be interested to see how we’d do against them in Thomond, with a full side when, say, and HCUP was on the line. I think it would be a whole lot closer. They were prepared for us (regrettably not hard to do) we were not as prepared for them, or couldn’t adapt. I don’t believe they are that good- I may well have to eat my words, but I think Exeter will beat them in the play offs. Let’s not mistake our inability for their superiority.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I’d be interested to see how we’d do against them in Thomond, with a full side when, say, and HCUP was on the line. I think it would be a whole lot closer. They were prepared for us (regrettably not hard to do) we were not as prepared for them, or couldn’t adapt. I don’t believe they are that good- I may well have to eat my words, but I think Exeter will beat them in the play offs. Let’s not mistake our inability for their superiority.
      I said the same after the SF...Us at home in thomond would be alot closer and i suspect we would win,but thats more down to the thomond factor then anything else. We are very predictable in attack,but are getting better. Our defense is excellent. If the rumblings in the press are true and we're signing an attack coach, lets see how we develop next season. i would love to see us sign a forward and a top 12 but that appears to be unlikely.
      "If all the wild horsemen of the apocalypse came around the corner O'Mahony would charge straight back at them."
      Will Greenwood

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Fantastic View Post

The english premiership are a joke. They want to destroy the international game and bankrupt themselves signing foreign internationals.
        No coincidence that McCafferty is straight off to CVC after finishing with PRL. The intention, I believe is to stimulate such wage inflation that the only way the Unions can compete is by getting into bed with private equity. They will take the six nations off terrestrial tv and in ten years international rugby will be as irrelevant as international football, with PRL and teams of galactictos the future. Does terrestrial six nations coverage enjoy governmental protection in Ireland? Might be a popular decision to guarantee that the six nations has to be on terrestrial television in Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post

No coincidence that McCafferty is straight off to CVC after finishing with PRL. The intention, I believe is to stimulate such wage inflation that the only way the Unions can compete is by getting into bed with private equity. They will take the six nations off terrestrial tv and in ten years international rugby will be as irrelevant as international football, with PRL and teams of galactictos the future. Does terrestrial six nations coverage enjoy governmental protection in Ireland? Might be a popular decision to guarantee that the six nations has to be on terrestrial television in Ireland.
          That was always going to happen, to be fair. The Welsh, to their credit, and ourselves have always been outliers in trying to keep the game free-to-air and spread the franchise, but the English were always happy with rubgy being an elite game for the wealthy. Look at how cricket in England basically sold its soul for the few shillings from Sky to the detriment of the game's growth. That's where PRL are happy to go.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
            That was always going to happen, to be fair. The Welsh, to their credit, and ourselves have always been outliers in trying to keep the game free-to-air and spread the franchise, but the English were always happy with rubgy being an elite game for the wealthy. Look at how cricket in England basically sold its soul for the few shillings from Sky to the detriment of the game's growth. That's where PRL are happy to go.
            Rugby could learn a lot from looking at the mistakes cricket has made. Similar sport in terms of popularity around the world and the nature of its market.

The rugby club owners seem to think rugby can be like football but as the cricket administrators learned, you can’t make that jump and continue to grow a minority sport. You have to make it accessible and build the audience first.

Cricket was at least hugely popular in one massive market - India. Rugby doesn’t even have that.

Put rugby behind a pay wall and it will kill it stone dead in most countries. It will end up like rugby league. At the professional level they need to stop the stupid player wage inflation, focus on quality over quantity of games. That will make the game a bit more sustainable and reduce the drain on talent from the SH.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Put rugby behind a pay wall and it will kill it stone dead in most countries. It will end up like rugby league.
              This.

I'm from west Cork....To see the growth of rugby in a traditionally die-hard gaelic football area is amazing. Alot of that growth is kids/their parents having become interested in rugby due to it's availability on free to air tv.
              "If all the wild horsemen of the apocalypse came around the corner O'Mahony would charge straight back at them."
              Will Greenwood

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Rugby could learn a lot from looking at the mistakes cricket has made. Similar sport in terms of popularity around the world and the nature of its market.

The rugby club owners seem to think rugby can be like football but as the cricket administrators learned, you can’t make that jump and continue to grow a minority sport. You have to make it accessible and build the audience first.

Cricket was at least hugely popular in one massive market - India. Rugby doesn’t even have that.

Put rugby behind a pay wall and it will kill it stone dead in most countries. It will end up like rugby league. At the professional level they need to stop the stupid player wage inflation, focus on quality over quantity of games. That will make the game a bit more sustainable and reduce the drain on talent from the SH.
                The funny thing is cricket in England was always more embedded in the working classes than rugby. You can even see the last vestiges of that in the last few years with the likes of Flintoff. Rugby in England is only now having a few working class lads like Burrell and Sinckler come through and I suspect there's people at the top who don't like that.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                  The funny thing is cricket in England was always more embedded in the working classes than rugby. You can even see the last vestiges of that in the last few years with the likes of Flintoff. Rugby in England is only now having a few working class lads like Burrell and Sinckler come through and I suspect there's people at the top who don't like that.
                  True. Cricket has always been hugely popular in the working class north, whereas that’s a league hotbed where rugby is concerned. Rugby in England really is still very much a minority sport for the public school set, more so than in Ireland I would say, and it’s never really shaken that image in most places (the west and south west being the exception). That’s why massively successful clubs like Sarries still don’t draw a crowd in London.

You’d think the club owners would look at Sarries and Exeter and actually learn a thing or two.

Sarries: Spent loads on big name players, bought huge success, splashed their brand on clubs all over the world, played games abroad to promote that brand etc.
                  Result: Tiny support and still irrelevant to all but the British and Irish rugby watching crowd, most of whom hate them. Completely dependent on benefactor cash.

Exeter: Built a community club from the ground up with home grown players and low profile but quality signings.
                  Result: Good and growing support, sustainable and popular with the wider rugby community.

Comment

Paddy jackson to join London Irish
                    Still there's a light I hold before me
                    You're the measure of my dreams
                    The measure of my dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
                      One step closer to home. Good man Kidney.
                      Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
                      http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Bill Johnston to Ulster!

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/bill-johnson-set-to-move-to-ulster-as-munster-opportunities-dry-up-1.3884160

GT can't even get the player's name right!!
                        Last edited by Blindsider.; 7th-May-2019, 22:22. Reason: Correction.
                        Trust is good; control is better. V I Lenin.

Comment

Handre Pollard heading North to Montpellier after RWC. Reports that Pollard will pick up around 1 Million Euros/season. Moyne Steyn heading South to the Bulls from Stade.
                          Last edited by neill_m; 14th-May-2019, 20:10.

Comment

Sale now with double digit number of South Africans in squad for 2019/20. Loan signings of Dan and Jean-Luc Du Preez. Will play alongside their brother Robert who signed on a permanent basis. Akker Van Der Merwe, Lood De Jager and Coenie Oosthuizen also signed.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
                              The more I think about this the more disappointed I am in Deccie and Feek. Considering they were once a senior part of the IRFU hierarchy. If Jackson's values made him unfit to play in green and unfit to play for Ulster in the eyes of the IRFU, how can they square him playing for Irish? (Rhetorical question BTW).
                              Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post

The more I think about this the more disappointed I am in Deccie and Feek. Considering they were once a senior part of the IRFU hierarchy. If Jackson's values made him unfit to play in green and unfit to play for Ulster in the eyes of the IRFU, how can they square him playing for Irish? (Rhetorical question BTW).
                                Jackson’s values had little to do with it. Sponsors like BoI threatening to pull out forced the IRFU’s hand.

Deccie and Kiss don’t have to agree with the IRFU just because they were employed by them.

Comment

Working...
                                X