No announcement yet.

Transfers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuart Hogg will leave Glasgow Warriors at the end of the season, the Pro14 club have announced.

And the Scotland full-back, 26, will join Premiership side Exeter Chiefs, BBC Scotland has learned.

Hogg has spent his entire professional career with the Warriors, making more than 100 appearances.

"This is a decision that's taken a great deal of thought as I've loved my nine seasons at Glasgow Warriors," he said.

"I said I would decide my next step for family and rugby reasons and feel now is the right time to gain new rugby experiences and push myself in different situations where I will be challenged and hopefully improve further.

"I'm proud of what I have achieved with Glasgow Warriors and Scotland so far and would like to thank the club and Scottish Rugby for all their support. They have supported me when I had made my decision to move on and I know they did all they could and I'm grateful for their support.”

As well as his 201 points for Glasgow, Hogg has recorded 102 points for his country and twice toured with the British and Irish Lions.

And Glasgow Warriors head coach said Dave Rennie: "This is a great opportunity for Hoggy and he has our full support. He is a top man, loved by all and will be missed."

Comment

Tough break for them, first Russell and now Hogg
      "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Originally posted by KerryRed View Post
        Tough break for them, first Russell and now Hogg
        In fairness to them they haven’t seemed to miss Russell, and they may not miss Hogg. A definite plus for Exeter though, at 26 has plenty left.

Comment

Hogg confirmed at Exeter. 2 year deal - £500,000 a year. Not joining for the cash mind he says.

He chose Exeter for two reasons: a) his admiration for Rob Baxter and, b) the similarity of Exeter countryside to that of Hawick where he lives at present.

Comment

Originally posted by neill_m View Post
            Hogg confirmed at Exeter. 2 year deal - £500,000 a year. Not joining for the cash mind he says.

He chose Exeter for two reasons: a) his admiration for Rob Baxter and, b) the similarity of Exeter countryside to that of Hawick where he lives at present.
            a) a kick in the nuts to Rennie and b) wtf not stay in Hawick then.

I remember when Dwayne Peel moved from Llaneli to Sale (?) he came out with some BS about wanting to experience a different culture!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

In fairness to them they haven’t seemed to miss Russell, and they may not miss Hogg. A definite plus for Exeter though, at 26 has plenty left.
              True they haven’t missed Russell too much so far. But if they are to kick on and become more of a force in Europe, which for whatever reasons they haven’t really done so by now, they’ll need to keep there best players.
              "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

a) a kick in the nuts to Rennie and b) wtf not stay in Hawick then.

I remember when Dwayne Peel moved from Llaneli to Sale (?) he came out with some BS about wanting to experience a different culture!!!
                Easier to pronounce?

Comment

The way Brexit is going, £500k could be worth a lot less in the near future. Hogg should have taken the big Eurobucks across the water. France has some pretty countryside and all.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                    The way Brexit is going, £500k could be worth a lot less in the near future. Hogg should have taken the big Eurobucks across the water. France has some pretty countryside and all.
                    Not "Hawick-pretty" though.

Comment

Huw Jones to Tigers is the rumour. Article says he turned down £375k/year to stay at Glasgow. Offered more at Leicester.

Comment

Huw Jones to Tigers is the rumour. Article says he turned down £375k/year to stay at Glasgow. Offered more at Leicester.
                        Interesting point made by their coaching (from memory), that with the WC, clubs with deep pockets will be looking to recruit to fill the gaps left
                        Last edited by jagawayagain; 20th-November-2018, 17:07.

Comment

Would be a disaster for Glasgow to lose both Hogg and Jones. It looks bad for the Pro14 also. It feels like the league has made big progress over the past three or four years and a team with the standing of Glasgow having its star players picked off like that is a step backwards.
                          Last edited by Jenta; 20th-November-2018, 17:18.
                          "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Having also lost a rather decent OH. With a small ground, I’m not sure how they manage financially, albeit Glasgow isn’t lacking in a bit of swanky wealth, not that you’d know that from the boo boys. I’m not sure it says much about the PRO14, other than we have, fortunately avoided the moneybags owners who want the sport to be different- because of their deep connection with the mindset of the ordinary fan.

Comment

Another source has the SRU offer at £230k/year with Tigers offering North of £300k/year

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                                Would be a disaster for Glasgow to lose both Hogg and Jones. It looks bad for the Pro14 also. It feels like the league has made big progress over the past three or four years and a team with the standing of Glasgow having its star players picked off like that is a step backwards.
                                I'm not sure it's that big of a swing. Glasgow have been haemorrhaging their best players for years - they just have better players to haemorrhage now. Seven or eight years ago they were losing average enough performers like Jim Hamilton and Max Evans. Now it's players who are infinitely better.

Comment

Working...
                                X