Transfers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfers

@@@@SPAN id=intelliTXT>London Irish look poised to make a major swoop in the transfer market by signing England scrum-half Peter Richards.

Richards, currently with Gloucester, appears on the verge of agreeing a deal with Irish that would see him rejoin his first professional club.

The 28-year-old has won six England caps, including four appearances during this season's November Test series, but he is now third in the Test pecking order behind Harry Ellis and Shaun Perry.

Richards played for Irish in 1996 before moving on to Harlequins, Bristol, Wasps and latterly Gloucester, where his career has flourished under the coaching expertise of former Scotland scrum-half Bryan Redpath.

Gloucester though, also have Scotland number nine Rory Lawson on their books, and if Richards departs Kingsholm, it is thought they could move for Newport Gwent Dragons' ex-Wales scrum-half Gareth Cooper as a replacement.

Cooper, a member of the 2005 British and Irish Lions squad that toured New Zealand, boasts 32 caps but has only recently returned to action after suffering a dislocated shoulder during last season's Six Nations Championship clash against England. @@@@/SPAN>
    @@@@SPAN>planetrugby@@@@/SPAN><!- /intelliTXT ->

@@@@SPAN id=intelliTXT>Northampton Saints have moved to strengthen their playing squad for next season by signing Barry Everitt from London Irish.

Fly-half Everitt, a prolific goal-kicker, has amassed 1,725 points from 164 appearances for London Irish - a club record. He has signed a three-year deal with Saints.

The 30-year-old joined London Irish after playing provincial rugby for both Munster and Leinster. He was also a vital part of the team that beat Saints in the Powergen Cup final in 2002.

"I see this an opportunity to develop my game under a head coach like Paul Grayson, who I have a lot of respect for having played against him many times and I can completely appreciate his extensive knowledge of the game," said Everitt.

"This was a difficult decision for me having spent so many years with London Irish but having come to Franklin's Gardens as an opposition player, I was always aware of the great sense of loyalty and camaraderie among the supporters; a similarity that is shared with the club I am coming from and at Munster.

"However, it was not until I came here and spoke with the management and players like David Quinlan that the club really appeared to be just as I had expected. Northampton is also a club that is steeped in history, is a past Heineken Cup winner, has been a major force in Europe for many years and has the best facilities I have seen in the Premiership.

"This is quite a commitment for me as it will probably be my last long-term contract. I look forward to the challenge ahead and being part of something special as Saints move forward."

"I also want to give something back on the field and if that means helping out younger players like Stephen Myler by using my Premiership experience then I am keen to do so."

Saints head coach Paul Grayson was delighted to have secured the services of such a prolific player.

"Barry is a proven performer over a number of years and has great experience in the Premiership," said Grayson.

"His kicking game obviously stands out as exceptional, however he is a very capable footballer and distributor and there is a lot more he has to offer. I am looking forward to working with him to express his full range of talents." @@@@/SPAN>
    @@@@SPAN>planetrugby@@@@/SPAN><!- /intelliTXT ->

Comment

Mike Phillips rumoured to be joining the Hollywood Ospreys

Comment

Ospreys' big cash deal for Phillips</font><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"></table><t></t><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width=""><t><tr><td>

Feb 18 2007
        </td></tr><tr><td>
        </td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">

Simon Roberts, Wales on Sunday</td></tr></t></table>
        <t></t><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="400"><t><tr><td colspan="3"></td></tr>
        <tr><td colspan="3">MIKE PHILLIPS has shocked Welsh rugby by signing for the Ospreys.The Wales scrum-half will swap the Arms Park for the Liberty Stadium at the end of the season.The 24-year-old is out of contract at the end of this campaign but has already agreed a two-year deal with the Ospreys.Wales on Sunday understands Phillips signed a £180,000-a-year deal this week.The Ospreys have also agreed a £25,000 signing-on fee for one of the hottest properties in Welsh and European rugby.<!-
        var MPUBlockLength = 718; //->Phillips has agreed to fight it out with Justin Marshall (right), the All Black legend, for the Ospreys' No 9 shirt.The Ospreys have broken the bank to capture Phillips and beaten the Blues, Leicester Tigers and Harlequins for his signature.Phillips'
        decision to leave the Blues after they signed him from the Scarlets two
        years ago will come as a hammer-blow to the Arms Park outfit.David Young, the Blues coach, wanted to build his side around his half-back partnership of Phillips and Nicky Robinson.The Blues offered Phillips an improved deal but were not willing to break their wage structure to keep him.The
        18-times capped international has already been compared to Terry
        Holmes, the former Arms Park favourite, but has still to realise his
        full potential.Phillips is seen as a future British and Irish Lion but his decision to join the Ospreys must be seen as a gamble.He is expected to be part of Wales' 30-man World Cup squad and won't be available for the opening few months of the 2007 season.Marshall's current Ospreys contract has a year left to run. How he reacts to the arrival of Phillips will be fascinating.His natural inclination will be to fight for his place but the Ospreys could be getting ready to show him the door.Lyn Jones, the Ospreys chief, clearly sees Phillips and James Hook as a dream half-back partnership for his side.The pair have the potential to rival the Scarlets' Wales and Lions pair, Stephen Jones and Dwayne Peel, as the best in Europe.However, the Ospreys' decision to break the bank and poach a player from another Welsh region will raise eyebrows.The
        Welsh Rugby Union will be wary of the four professional regions
        entering a bidding war for the best Welsh talent. The WRU's rugby
        charter, the agreement designed to safeguard the future of professional
        rugby in Wales, now appears to be in tatters.How
        Roger Lewis, the new WRU Group Chief Executive, reacts to Phillips'
        move will be fascinating. The WRU funds each region to the tune of
        £2.3m and won't want to see its money being spent on over-inflated wage
        offers.Gareth Jenkins, the Wales coach, could be the most concerned by the decision of his No 2 scrum-half.He won't want Phillips sidelined in favour of Marshall at the Ospreys next season.But Phillips isn't the only Welsh scrum-half on the move in the summer.Jason Spice, the Ospreys' other scrum-half, is out of contract and has been linked with Bath and the Blues.Gareth Cooper is set to join Gloucester and Andy Williams is expected to leave
        Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
        Munster: Early Season
        Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
        Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
        Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Comment

<TABLE =std_newsartd cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 summary="Layout table">
          <T>
          <TR>
          <TD =line>Tigers sign Erinle for 2007/08</TD></TR>
          <TR>
          <TD =date>20 February 2007, 2:03 pm</TD></TR>
          <TR>
          <TD =author>By Gary Sherrard</TD></TR>
          <TR>
          <TD =multimedia></TD></TR>
          <TR>
          <TD =abstract>Leicester Tigers have confirmed that centre Ayoola Erinle will be joining the Guinness Premiership leaders from London Wasps at the end of this season.</TD></TR>
          <TR>
          <TD =article>The 27-year-old went to the Churchill Cup with the England A squad last season and has previous international experience with England’s Sevens and Students squads.

“It was a massive decision to leave Wasps after such a long time but I feel the time is right to take on a fresh challenge and I am delighted to agree a move to Leicester,” said Erinle. “There is immense talent in the squad and, like Wasps, Leicester have brought through young players and that is great not just for the club but also for English rugby.”

At 6ft 3in and 17st 4lb, Ayoola is a strong and powerful runner in the midfield and made his Wasps debut in 2002. During the 2004-05 season he scored 11 tries in 19 appearances and has now totalled 26 tries in 106 appearances for Wasps, including one in the Powergen Cup semi-final victory over Tigers at the Millennium Stadium last season.

He is currently working his way back to full fitness after a broken leg, an injury picked up during Leicester’s win at Wasps’ Causeway Stadium during the autumn international period in November.

Tigers head coach Pat Howard said: “Erinle has excellent finishing ability, combined with the ability to break the line. We believe him to be a player with a lot of ability who will fit into the Leicester culture very well.”

London Wasps director of rugby Ian McGeechan said: "Ayoola is a talented player who has put in some fine performances in his five seasons with the club. We wish him well in the future and for the new challenges next season."
          </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Comment

Flutey has signed for Wasps.

Bristol have signed former All Black Andrew Blowers.

Carlos Spencer in talks with Agen.
            \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

<H2 =clear>Bonnaire signs for Clermont</H2>
              <H3>Wednesday 31st January 2007</H3>
              <DIV =story>
              <H2>Moving up: Julien Bonnaire has joined upwardly-mobile Clermont Auvergne</H2>
              <DIV id=advert_1></DIV></DIV>
              @@@@SPAN id=intelliTXT>French back-row Julien Bonnaire has left Bourgoin after seven years to sign for local rivals and Top 14 second-placed club Clermont Auvergne.

Bonnaire, capped 24 times by France and likely to be an integral part of the Rugby World Cup squad this year, has signed for two years.

"Clermont really is a grand club on all levels," said Bonnaire to Le Site.

"In terms of infrastructure, they are going to be one of the finest, and with a brand new stadium.

"Coach Vern Cotter has extended his contract there along with most of the players, and there is real quality there, able to achieve great things.

To leave one club for a local rival is something of a faux pas, but Bonnaire said that the decision to stay in the Clermont-Ferrand region rather than head south west was family-oriented.

"It is less than two hours from my family, which made a difference," he said.

"Castres also wanted me and tried to force the issue a little, but that only forced me to hesitate and think harder.

"There were also positives there, but after weighing up all the criteria, Clermont came out top.

"There is potential at Bourgoin. We raised the playing level there, but maybe we didn't adjust the structures enough, and that is an indispensible stage of development.

"It is very important to have a large stadium and the correct internal structures in place, and that was alcking at Bourgoin for the club to reach its peak." @@@@/SPAN>

Comment

Originally posted by dailywaffle
                <t>
                </t><table summary="Layout table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
                <t><tr>
                <td>Tigers sign Erinle for 2007/08</td></tr>
                <tr>
                <td>20 February 2007, 2:03 pm</td></tr>
                <tr>
                <td>
                </td></tr>
                <tr>
                <td>
                </td></tr>
                <tr>
                <td>
                </td></tr>
                <tr>
                <td>

At 6ft 3in and 17st 4lb, Ayoola is a strong and powerful runner

</td></tr></t></table>
                not heavy enough-centres in england now need to be at least 34 stone-will struggle
                If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

But thats b/4 Tigers put him on their miracle weight gain programme. They even managed toturn Plug into a second row [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img].
                  My computer thinks I'm gay
                  What's the difference anyway
                  When all the people do all day
                  Is stare into a phone

Comment

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                    If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

Anyone think Jason Spice might be worth a shot as cover for Stringer while on World Cup duty? Handy player but 3 things might go against him a) Wages b) Munster talent c) Age

Comment

There is a rumour doing the rounds to that extent....

Comment

I thought Len Dineen was the source of that rumour?

Pretty sure he was linked with someone else (GP club maybe, can't remember) on Gwlad.

Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
                          Munster: Early Season
                          Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
                          Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
                          Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Comment

i cant see the point in signing spice

how many good irish scrumhalves have we let go from here-remind me[img]smileys/smiley37.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Cathal
                              Ospreys' big cash deal for Phillips
                              <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
                              <T></T></TABLE><T></T>
                              <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><T>
                              <T>
                              <TR>
                              <TD>

Feb 18 2007
                              </TD></TR>
                              <TR>
                              <TD>
                              </TD></TR>
                              <TR>
                              <TD colSpan=2>

Simon Roberts, Wales on Sunday</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE><T></T>
                              <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=400><T>
                              <T>
                              <TR>
                              <TD colSpan=3></TD></TR>
                              <TR>
                              <TD colSpan=3>
                              MIKE PHILLIPS has shocked Welsh rugby by signing for the Ospreys.</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

Perfectly suited toone another. A completetw*t joining a bunch of tossers. No integration period needed there.
                              How come when Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider he gained superpowers yet when Alexander Litvinyenko ate some sushi laced with polonium he lost his hair and died? Once again it\'s one rule for comic book superheroes and another for KGB turncoats.

Comment

Working...
                              X