Rugby man in the clear over punch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rugby man in the clear over punch

<DIV =LeadPara>A RUGBY player who broke an opponent's jaw during a match has walked free after a jury accepted that he had acted in defence of a team-mate. </DIV>
    <DIV =LeadPara>Kenneth Gibson punched Edinburgh Academicals player James Oliphant in a game against his Glasgow team, Hillhead Jordanhill, in September 2005. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>MrOliphant, an Edinburgh dentist, required surgery and a plate inserted in his face, sidelining him for six months. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>But Mr Gibson said he had only lashed out to help a young team-mate who he claimed had been hit by 28 year-old Mr Oliphant moments earlier. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>A jury yesterday accepted his evidence and found him not guilty of assault following a four-day trial at Glasgow Sheriff Court. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>The relieved 30-year-old accountant, from Peebles, was hugged by family and friends after he stepped out of the dock. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>The incident occurred during a second-string game between the clubs in Glasgow's Kelvindale. Mr Oliphant, who was a first-team regular, said he was punched from behind as he walked towards a scrum. The Irish-born Accies player told the court he was knocked unconscious before being taken to hospital. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Mr Oliphant eventually required an operation to repair a depressed fracture in his cheek. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>But Mr Gibson's lawyer, Paul Burns, said Mr Oliphant had only been hit after he had earlier landed "a nifty uppercut" on young Hillhead opponent Jonathan Adams. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>In evidence, Mr Gibson accepted he hit Mr Oliphant – but insisted that he only did so in defence of his club mate. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>He told the trial: "I moved in to stop the attack by Oliphant on Adams. I punched him once to stop the attack. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>"If I hadn't done it there was every likelihood that Oliphant would have thrown more punches." Gibson denied he had acted in retaliation and said that punching his opponent was the best way to prevent a brawl. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>(c) 2007 Express Newspapers </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>The Daily Express</DIV>
    Seas suas agus troid!

interesting enough article....youd never really think out on the field you could end up in court for smth!
    Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Mr Oliphant!

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

"Never seen an Oliphant before Mr Frodo"

The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
      - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

An accountant and a dentist. If there was any way they could jail the two of them...

My computer thinks I'm gay
        What's the difference anyway
        When all the people do all day
        Is stare into a phone

Comment

The reason it went to court is simple...an Oliphant never forgets!

Comment

Could there be linkage here, I wonder has the accountant a 2:1, like a certain Bam a Lam a Bam a Loo?

Comment

Proves the point I kept trying to make on here. There are circumstances in which self defence or defending another person and the laws around them are bigger than the laws of rugby.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Omer
                Proves the point I kept trying to make on here. There are circumstances in which self defence or defending another person and the laws around them are bigger than the laws of rugby.

Evil Omer's watch is broken, but twice a day he can justifiably claim that it's telling the right time! [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

I don't need a watch, us superior beings have learned to be at one with our internal clock.

Comment

Working...
                  X