Galwegians to sell their ground

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galwegians to sell their ground

Galwegians set to net €25m from sale of rugby grounds.
    <DIV =LeadPara>One of the country's longest established rugby clubs - Galwegians RFC - is in line for a €25 million windfall by selling its grounds. </DIV>
    <DIV =LeadPara>The club has decided to sell its 3.7 hectare (9¼ acre) site - the club's home since 1963 - and develop new facilities on a greenfield site. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Enormous interest is expected in the sale of Crowley Park, which is on the Dublin Road, a few miles to the east of Galway city. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>The club, founded in 1922 and the most successful in Connacht, fields 17 teams from under-17 to senior and has produced several internationals over the years. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Galwegians has been unable to extend its two-pitch facility at Crowley Park, which is land-locked. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Like a lot of other clubs, Galwegians incurred substantial debt at the onset of the professional era a decade ago, but by then a plan was being considered to sell its site on the Dublin Road for housing. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>The club, which has up to 1,000 members, has struggled in the top flight of the AIB League in recent seasons, but enjoys a buoyant underage section. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>It developed the facility at Glenina in 1963 and named it Crowley Park in the mid-1980s in honour of its main driving force over the years, the late Chris Crowley, one of six Galwegians RFC members who have served as president of the IRFU. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Club chairman MacDara Hosty said that an information night will be held at Crowley Park on Wednesday next to allow members to find out more about the club's plans. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>(c) 2007, The Irish Times. </DIV>
    Seas suas agus troid!

Thats great news for Galwegians. I hope they invest in youth wisely. It's also good news for Connacht rugby in general.

Comment

More money to waste on players to buy success. The loot will be spent in 5 years and nothing to show for it. This type of land sale by all clubs of green space in city/town locations is the death knell of clubs.

Comment

Don't entirely agree Ragusa, squandering the money trying to 'buy success' with players is definetly the fools option; if they invest in a good new ground and facilities this will encourage the youth divisions and could bring long term success.

Comment

They seem to have done very well for themselves[img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]

Galwegians score €28m conversion
          By Brian McDonald
          Monday June 04 2007

THE most successful rugby club in the West has struck it very rich indeed.

Galwegians RFC in Galway has finalised a €28m euro deal for its ground on the outskirts of the city.

Last year Galwegians turned down an offer of €15m for its Crowley Park ground at Renmore, a prime residential location.

Now, club members have voted unanimously to accept the €28m offer of JJ Rhattigan Construction and will move to a new state-of-the-art facility on the Moycullen Road.

The new 30-acre complex beside the River Corrib and close to Glenlo Abbey Hotel will be adjacent to the proposed new fifth bridge across the Corrib.

The deal with JJ Rhattigan Construction will see Galwegians move into the €16m facility in 2009 and pocket a tidy €12m in cash.

Club chairman McDara Hosty said while there would be sadness at leaving Crowley Park, it was too good a deal to turn down.

- Brian McDonald

Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

It was a tidy little ground (with no parking).

I wonder how many apartments will he get into it, at the price he paid for the land, Im sure they will be quite expensive. They have certainly got a great deal, Navan &amp; Malahide have also done well out of deals with developers.

Comment

When's their new ground going to be ready by?

Comment

Originally posted by Ragusa
                More money to waste on players to buy success. The loot will be spent in 5 years and nothing to show for it. This type of land sale by all clubs of green space in city/town locations is the death knell of clubs.

Ragusa

Your talking out of your derriere i'm afraid, the main reason for the sale is that there are 20 sides put out by Galwegians at all age groups and there are only two pitches in the club grounds, with no available land to expand.

It's been a problem for a good few years, but the Club has shown commendable business nous in waiting for a better offer 28 Million Euro, considering that the offer last year was a miserly 15 million. The will have a purpose built clubhouse with the capacity and first class facilities to build on their success at underage level this year (Connacht Champions at U20's, 18's,16's &amp; 15's..)

The club is fortunate to have a very shrewd operator in the property field (pardon the pun)in Galway as it's President this year, no doubt Danno Heasliphad a strong hand in the negotiations with Rhattigans. Galway is due to grow by another 40,000 people in the next 10-15 years and while the new club locationmay not beas accesible currently there is a development plan already in place for that part of the city including a new bridge across theCorrib which will resolve a lot of the access issues.

There's planning permission for 65 houses. To cover 28 million euro anddevelopment coststhey'll need to be pretty tasty...

The ground is due to be completed by 2009..

Comment

looking forward to bring my underage year to visit the new ground sea_point, always enjoyed our visits to the old grounds.
                  Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud
                    looking forward to bring my underage year to visit the new ground sea_point, always enjoyed our visits to the old grounds.

Ah yes McCloud, Glenina has many greatmemories for meduring my childhood. Never played theremyself though as my family moved East in my early teens, but got to meet many great players (McBride, Gibson, Campbell, McLoughlin etc.)and administrators of the game at the time through my fathers involvement at the cluband with Connacht (who hosted a lot of post game dinners at the club also).

I'll be sad to pass the old ground on my way into Galway in years to come, but hopefullyit means Galwegians goesfrom strength to strength. It's massively importantfor Connacht to have a club side capable of competing for honours inthe years ahead...

Comment

Played there U-18s, 20s and Senior. Ah, the sessions.
                      \"Golf is a game for c**ts\" Ronnie Drew

Comment

Seems to be a really sensible positive move forward for Galwegians. If they can release a bit of capital and develop a nerw ground with better facilities and more pitches it can only be positive. Much better than all these clubs that sell off ground but stay where they are and end up burning the cash and finishing with a smaller facility.

Comment

Working...
                        X