Tigers sign Jeremy Staunton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tigers sign Jeremy Staunton

Staunton still going strong, fair dues to him ... not sure I'd be happy if my club signed him though.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,,...09,00+en-USS_0 1DBC.html

Leicester Tigers have signed Ireland
    international fly-half Jeremy Staunton along with three other players
    ahead of the new season.

The 28-year-old has been joined at Welford Road by hooker Joe Duffey, prop Robbie Harris and centre Billy Twelvetrees.

Duffey and Harris arrive at Welford Road from Nottingham while
    Twelvetrees joins from Bedford, with Tigers Head Coach Richard
    Cockerill delighted by the new prospects.

"Robbie Harris and Joe Duffey have done very well in National
    One and we have seen with Matt Smith this season that there is some
    real talent in that division," he said.

"Billy Twelvetrees is another to come from National One and has been doing really well with Bedford.

"They have not played at the highest level but we think there is
    huge potential there for them to grow within the Tigers environment, as
    many others have grown at the club.

"We hope they will go from strength to strength.

"Jeremy Staunton has been capped by Ireland and we are looking for that goal-kicking with Toby Flood being injured.

"He gives us another experienced option in the backline positions and a proven ability as a goal-kicker."

Staunton has gained Guinness Premiership experience with
    Harlequins, London Irish and London Wasps, as well as collecting five
    senior caps. He will be well known to Tigers supporters after scoring
    23 points in Wasps' victory at Welford Road last season, a record for
    any opposition player in a league match at the venue.

Duffey, 27, joins Tigers after five years in two spells at
    Nottingham. He racked up 120 consecutive appearances up to the end of
    last season and was named player-of-the-season as Nottingham finished
    fourth in National One.

Harris, 26, can play on either side of the front row and has played for the Sharks in the Currie Cup in South Africa.

And 21-year-old Twelvetrees returns to Tigers for his second
    spell after graduating through the club's Academy. He left for a
    successful season with Bedford in 2008/09, where he scored 18 tries in
    28 National One starts and kicked 16 conversions and 13 penalties.

In other news released by the Tigers on Wednesday, Geordan
    Murphy has been confirmed as captain following Martin Corry's
    retirement.

All Black centre Aaron Mauger and England international Louis
    Deacon have been appointed vice captains for the forthcoming campaign.

Good for Murphy being made captain, he's been a stalwart of the side for a number of seasons now.

Twelvetrees is a ridiculous name, belongs in Lord of the Rings
    Marty in the Morning

Comment

28!![img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

Given how long he has been on the scene, I'm really surprised that Staunton is still that young!

Comment

Billy 12trees [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img] [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img] [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img] [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
        I don\'t really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.They really are a reference in the game,to beat them you really have to play a perfect match

Comment

best of luck to him........... hope he does well

Comment

As I said on the other thread about this, he's better than a lot of the bench options around the GP and it just depends how he's doing in terms of game time. He did a good job for Wasps when he played, including playing IC, I'd expect he'd do the same for Leicester.
            Did you play in the Garden of Eden?
            Were the goalkeeper\'s gloves to you tossed?
            For it seems to me you\'re the reason,
            You\'re the reason why paradise lost.

Comment

Il be honest if I wa a tigers fan and after hearing all the Hernandez rumours i'd feel more than a little let down!!
              \"... and Brian Dooher is down injured. And while he is, i\'ll tell ye a little story. I was in Times\' Square in New York last week, and I was missing the Championship back home. So I approached a newsstand and I said \'I suppose ye wouldn\'t have the Kerryman would ye?\' To which,the Egyptian behind the counter turned to me and he said \'do you want the North Kerry edition or the South Kerry edition?\'... he had both...so I bought both. And Dooher is back on his feet...\"

Comment

Originally posted by HurlerOnDeDitch
                28!![img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

Given how long he has been on the scene, I'm really surprised that Staunton is still that young!
                He's 29 since May.

Comment

Video HERE interview with Jeremy. BBC.
                  \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
                  Dalai Lama

Comment

And he's getting married! Best of luck.
                    \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
                    Dalai Lama

Comment

jes his first marriage didn't last long so - that one was last Saturday[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Fair play to him

He's been at some big clubs.

wish he'd come back and play football for limerick again, we need forwards!

Comment

From PR news:

Injury blow for Tigers and Saints

24th August 2009 11:25

* Email
                          * Save to
                          o Add to del.icio.usDelicious
                          o Add to DiggDigg
                          o Add to Redditreddit
                          o Add to FacebookFacebook
                          o Add to StumbleUponStumbleUpon

Guinness Premiership Winner

Leicester 9/4, London Irish 11/2, Harlequins 6/1, Bath 7/1,
                          Gloucester 7/1, Wasps 8/1 or Northampton 10/1
                          Bet £30 get £30 Free - Open Account
                          Dan Vickerman for Cambridge Uni

Dan Vickerman: December debut?
                          Related links
                          Teams

* Leicester
                          * Northampton

Leicester and Northampton have been hit by separate injury blows
                          that are not ideal ahead of the new Guinness Premiership season.

The East Midland duo, who are set to open their campaigns against
                          Sale Sharks and Worcester respectively, will definitely be without the
                          services of Sam Vesty and Dan Vickerman.

Key fly-half Vesty has been sidelined due to a hamstring problem
                          that has left Head Coach Richard Cockerill with just Jeremy Staunton
                          as a first-team number ten option, with Derick Hougaard now plying
                          his trade at Saracens.

The England international is expected to return to Tigers action at
                          some time in November and Cockerill admits the news is a blow.

"It's frustrating for us," he said, speaking to the Leicester Mercury.

"We know all about Toby's injury because it is long-term, but Sam
                          has a hamstring problem which will keep him out for the start of the
                          season.

"We brought Jeremy in for this reason and he looked good against
                          Cardiff on Friday night. His distribution and goal-kicking are very
                          good and we have back-up in [young product] Billy Twelvetrees."

Meanwhile, the Saints will be without their new second-row signing
                          who has a shoulder problem that will keep him out until December.

Australian forward Vickerman penned a deal at Franklin's Gardens
                          during the off-season on the condition that his final year
                          commitments at Cambridge University was his priority.

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

looks like he is finally getting his break. He deserves it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny
                              looks like he is finally getting his break. He deserves it.
                              +1 Cant Argue with that sentiment good luck to Jeremy a real pro

Comment

Working...
                              X