Rugby’s dark side(by Brendan Fanning)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rugby’s dark side(by Brendan Fanning)

Not sure if this appeared in any other threads...but thought it a good read...interested to know what others think of it....the bambi abuse last year was defo OTT....

Rugby union: Red hand and a red mist as Brennan furore shows rugby's darker side: Fingers will be pointed at Ulster supporters after the incident in Toulouse, says Brendan Fanning
    <DIV =LeadPara>Even before meat was added to the bones of Brennanbait, the goading of Toulouse's most celebrated publican, it was not hard to picture the scene. Why would Trevor Brennan have been a target for the Ulster fans? For a few reasons: he is a high-profile figure with a history of being blinded by red mist; and he is Irish. Better still, he is from the south of Ireland. </DIV>
    <DIV =LeadPara>It figured that the sectarian angle would feature early in the equation, even if it was quickly shrugged off by Brennan himself, who maintains that the abuse he suffered in Toulouse's Heineken Cup match against Ulster on Sunday was about his mother. The Ulster fans have earned something of a reputation for themselves. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>On the one hand this is positive. They are the most loyal in the land and were pouring through the gates of Ravenhill for Celtic League matches while their more celebrated brethren in Munster were cherry-picking Heineken Cup games. So while the "Low Lies" - as the casual fans in Munster are known (they occasionally come and sing about the Fields of Athenry) - were being selective, the sons of Ulster were marching without question to support the team that represented their identity. Unlike Munster, Leinster or Connacht, for Ulster there is a political dimension. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>This was best illustrated by Davy Tweed. Ireland has four provinces feeding into the national team, with one of them doing so from outside the jurisdiction. It is unlikely they would ever refer to Ireland as being the "national team". And certainly not Big Davy. The Ulster second-row, now a DUP councillor in Ballymena, won three caps for Ireland in the mid-1990s, and his first, against France in 1995, was in Dublin. That meant standing to attention for Amhran na bhFiann, the national anthem of the Republic. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>In fairness he did not move a muscle though, as binoculars were trained on him, we wondered what was going through his mind. The quote attributed to him on learning of his first cap was: "After 30 caps for my country [Ulster] I've been selected to play for Ireland!" </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Countless Ulster players before and after Tweed have had to endure the same ritual, though when the shoe is on the other foot in August, when Ireland play a warm-up game against Italy in Belfast, the only song getting an airing will be the apolitical, Ireland's Call, a dirge created to cover the gap in the welding job between north and south. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>The other side of the Ulster fans' loyal support has been the attraction of a few floating football voters who have abandoned the awfulness of the Irish League in favour of rugby. Typically they would be Loyalists, fans of Linfield or Glentoran, for whom the prospect of a few pints on a Friday night at a packed Ravenhill, watching a winning team, was a whole lot better than what they had following football. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>They brought some of the terrace culture with them and it has not been exclusively reserved for visitors. The vitriol that poured on the head coach, Mark McCall, when he was struggling in his early days in the job, was remarkable. The abuse of away teams also exceeds anything one would find in any of the other provincial venues. [b]Last season, as Munster's centre Barry Murphy was being carried by stretcher from the pitch in Ravenhill in obvious agony, having disloca
    Seas suas agus troid!

Originally posted by LLCOOLJ1
    Last season, as Munster's centre Barry Murphy was being carried by stretcher from the pitch in Ravenhill in obvious agony, having dislocated his ankle and ruptured ligaments, a section of the crowd abused him. Murphy had done nothing to incite such an obnoxious reaction.
    <!-
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

I've seen this said before and never commented. I have read on MF that Barry Murphy says he was abused as he was carried off and I do not for one minute question his recollection or voracity. I can only say that when he was injured and the injury was shown on the big screen there was a collective gasp followed by total silence for several minutes. His injury was clearly serious.

When he was carried off there was a round of applause for him and again as he was carried past the stand into the changing rooms the area of the stand at the Clock end and the promenade stood and applauded again.

If some ill reared ball bag shouted something or jeered an injured player I can only apologise but I can attest to the fact that the overwhelming majority of supporters were upset by the injury and showed their respect by clapping Barry Murphy off the pitch.

<!-
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

Comment

does anyone else feel thats a bit OTT?
      "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Fanning getting a sly and bigoted dig in at Ulster fans. And why mention that gobshoite Tweed? Why not mention Tommy Bowe, a Monaghan GAA player? Or McBride who has written tons on how important the Irish team is in uniting Protestans and Catholics?

What evidence is there to suggest that Linfield or Glentoran fans go to Ravenhill?

Some muppet on here accused LF's of being a cross between Shamrock Rover fans and Hill 16 Dubs on no basis whatsoever (and which kinda puts paid to the D4 image). I'd expect more from aprofessional journalist.

Apart from the weather, Ravenhill in December was an absolute pleasure, top fans and I wish we had been able to stay the night.
        \"This year is different because this year they won\'t beat snow off a rope. They\'ll revert back to type and get 6 shades of s**t bate out of them in the group stages of the HEC ...\" Tobyglen 21 Sept 2010

Comment

I haven`t posted on the TB incident because I`d rather wait and have all the facts but I do think that article is OTT. If there is only a small element shouting abuse or being anuscance at games it`s hardly fair to tarnish all with the same brush. For what it`s worth there was an absoloute w**ker near me last Saturday abusin the ref abusin Leiecster (going on about neil back etc) It was only with 10 minutes to go people told him to p*ss off.

Comment

I heard they eat Catholics too.
            Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
            http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger

does anyone else feel thats a bit OTT? - maybe

It's been a while since I set sight on Ravenhill, and while all visiting teams feared the place, asa spectator I've always felt welcome (well certainly we were never threatened); even when things weren't all rosy outside the gates. This article is implying there may be a change. I have no reason to believe there is/has been a change, but I hope to goodness that Fanning is wrong and that the Ulster supporters continue to welcome visitors as always.

I had heard some mutterings about the time Murphy got injured, but nothing more than that (I wasn't there).

Comment

Originally posted by Combatlogo

Fanning getting a sly and bigoted dig in at Ulster fans. And why mention that gobshoite Tweed? Why not mention Tommy Bowe, a Monaghan GAA player? Or McBride who has written tons on how important the Irish team is in uniting Protestans and Catholics?

What evidence is there to suggest that Linfield or Glentoran fans go to Ravenhill?

Some muppet on here accused LF's of being a cross between Shamrock Rover fans and @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">Hill 16 Dubs@@@@/SPAN> on no basis whatsoever (and which kinda puts paid to the D4 image). I'd expect more from aprofessional journalist.

Apart from the weather, Ravenhill in December was an absolute pleasure, top fans and I wish we had been able to stay the night.
                What have they got to do with anything?
                Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

Some muppet on here accused LF's of being a cross between Shamrock Rover fans and Hill 16 Dubs on no basis whatsoever (and which kinda puts paid to the D4 image). I'd expect more from aprofessional journalist.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief

Some muppet on here accused LF's of being a cross between Shamrock Rover fans and @@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Hill 16 Dubs@@@@/SPAN> on no basis whatsoever (and which kinda puts paid to the D4 image). I'd expect more from aprofessional journalist.

Comparing rugby fans (unfavourably) to fans of a different code.
                    \"This year is different because this year they won\'t beat snow off a rope. They\'ll revert back to type and get 6 shades of s**t bate out of them in the group stages of the HEC ...\" Tobyglen 21 Sept 2010

Comment

Well some shamrock rovers fans have been known to be involved in street violence, attacking team buses etc. Dunno what Hill 16 Dubs have done to merit being placed in such company.
                      Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief
                        Well some shamrock rovers fans have been known to be involved in street violence, attacking team buses etc. Dunno what Hill 16 Dubs have done to merit being placed in such company.

I think it may be the way they talk....

Comment

Fanning trying to stir the pot. Must of been a slow news day. Don't remember any posting on Barry being boo'd off the field....
                          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud
                            Fanning trying to stir the pot. Must of been a slow news day. Don't remember any posting on Barry being boo'd off the field....
                            Thats because he wasn't, i was there. It was an awful injury and everybody knew it. Honestly can't believe this guy can write so much tripe in one article.
                            Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
                            http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Brendan Fanning has let himself down by writing that rubbish. As for the paper it is written for (The Guardian), the less said about that piece of toilet roll the better. I can totally understand Ulster fans anger at all this, if the ball were on the other foot about a Munster fan and this came out we'd be burning his house down.
                              Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

Working...
                              X