Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trevor Brennan’s Heino Diary

Winding down to Beckham days.
    <DIV ="LeadPara">Trevor Brennan bids farewell to the European Cup and perhaps he's not alone in that </DIV>
    <DIV ="LeadPara">The Madejski Stadium was the venue for our game against London Irish last Saturday. I forecast last week it could be BaaBaas-style rugby and, as it turned out, it was: 26-24 with both teams scoring four tries. It was a very enjoyable game to be part of. Neither team was playing under the usual pressure of qualification for the next round or even domestically. </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">Some lads have their pre-match energy drinks, or different rituals, like putting on their left boot before their right foot, not going to the pitch beforehand for the walkabout, or whatever. While conducting my own pre-match ritual poo in the away dressingroom toilet I wondered who else might have got their thoughts together in the same location. </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">The names who came to mind were the likes of Michael Owen, Steven Gerrard, Ryan Giggs and Jose Mourinho, who would all have used the away dressingroom when they played Reading here, and it also dawned on me while reading the match programme that this could be my last Heineken European Cup game to start in. I know we still have to play Ulster next Saturday, and I think I might be in the 22, but the coach could change the team, as is the system in Toulouse. I thought of the first time I played in the Cup, for Leinster against Toulouse, ten years and 55 appearances ago. </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">When I rejoined the lads in the dressingroom the atmosphere was quiet. The reality of my situation having struck me, I got fairly fired up even though there was nothing at stake. Despite this, I told the lads it wasn't just another game. We should show everybody that we should have been playing for a quarter-final spot. The only ones that put us out of this competition were ourselves. </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">I suppose I'm in my David Beckham days now, winding down, looking to spread the rugby gospel to America. It's not about the money, but, for a couple of million, I'd wear a sarong, shave my chest, get my ears pierced and even wear the wife's Bridget Jones knickers. Any offers? </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">We won the game and afterwards it was great to meet up with Bob Casey, Aidan McCullen, Barry Everitt and Benny Willis for a quick meal, chat and a drink. We had a flight from Gatwick and, needless to say, I was the last to get on the bus. Bob was captain on the day, Aidan came on from the bench and I thought personally did very well and there didn't seem to be a massive difference between Barry and Shane Geraghty, the lad called into the English squad. </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">I had the chance to watch Munster against Bourgoin, who have been accused of throwing away a few games over the years. But on Sunday they threw everything bar the kitchen sink at Munster who, I thought, were a little lucky to win. Leinster looked very impressive and look like a team who are really enjoying their rugby and their backs have a massive amount of talent. </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">From what I've seen so far, it's quite possible that both sides can earn a home quarter-final. </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">We play Ulster again this week, and they were well beaten by Llanelli last week. After their 33-0 win over us on the opening weekend, some people would have thought they would have finished top of the group. But Llanelli showed how good they are by going over to Belfast and giving them a lesson in wet-weather rugby. Perhaps it helped them that they come from the valleys. </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">Still, there aren't too many teams that go to Ravenhill and get a win. </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas"><FONT
    Seas suas agus troid!

He was on Newstalk this morning talking about the French Club's HEC pull out for next season.

The fixture list they have, plus commercial demands to play their top line players, mean something has to give.

It's a power struggle ultimately.

Comment

His a funny fecker, always thought he should have played more for Ireland but i understand we have some of the best talent in the positions he plays in. I just think his a player that really gets in yoru face and although he used to give away a lot of silly pen, he really came on in leaps and bounds in France. Hearing him speak French with that Dublin accent is priceless.

Comment

I always liked this guy for some reason...maybe as he didnt fit any ladyboy stereo type...articles always give a good insight.......

Does he plan to retire at the end of this season that he says it may hav ebeen his last HC appearance?Would be a good impact sub at the least for most of the Irish provinces...better than journeymen like Finnegan too...
        Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Met him in The Kilkenny Bar after Munster lost the Semi Final in Toulouse in 2003.

We had a great laugh with him - tolerated us for a while even though we were pissed as coots.

Comment

if he writes a book it will be well worth reading....[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
            Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

what age is he should Munster try and get him, be better that that Wyatt (speeling??) guy

Comment

Originally posted by Munster365

Met him in The @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">Kilkenny @@@@/SPAN>Bar after Munster lost the Semi Final in Toulouse in 2003.

We had a great laugh with him - tolerated us for a while even though we were pissed as coots.

I think you'll find it's the Killarney Bar. Fine pub too. Run by a Dub living in Toulouse 30 years.

Comment

I would agree with the people who have posted so far about brennan!! If he was interested then I think he would be a fantastic signing for munster! Could plug a hole for next seasons magners league. Also the tax incentives that have been so often mentioned could be helpfull to us but my guess is that he could end up with leinster next season. With Hogan and O'Kelly they could do with another quality second row. But there is talk of Leo Cullen going back to leinster next season so that might stop that. What about Bob Casey for munster lads?? Or is he too much of a quality player to have merely as a sub??

Comment

I liked him until he made some disgraceful comments about Leinster last year, really layed into us. He's quite bitter.

Comment

Originally posted by danthefan
                      I liked him until he made some disgraceful comments about Leinster last year, really layed into us. He's quite bitter.

Really?I thought he was being honest and lets not forget leinster tried to screw him with a crap contract b/4 he left so he is entitled to be a bit pissed off.
                      My computer thinks I'm gay
                      What's the difference anyway
                      When all the people do all day
                      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

Originally posted by danthefan

Really?I thought he was being honest and lets not forget leinster tried to screw him with a crap contract b/4 he left so he is entitled to be a bit pissed off.
                        I know a bit about the situation and I can tell you that it's true. Trevor Brennan calls a spade a spade. It was his opinion and he was entitled to make it as he had played for Leinster. I noticed on one or two other sites some posters say disgraceful things about the guy just because he was honest. Really bad form which only serves to damage the credibility of Leinster supporters...

Comment

I admire the way he got his temper under control. He was a loose canon but has matured into a model pro.

Comment

wouldnt be happy with him coming to munster
                            "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Max Headroom
                              Originally posted by Munster365

Met him in The @@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Kilkenny @@@@/SPAN>Bar after Munster lost the Semi Final in Toulouse in 2003.

I think you'll find it's the Killarney Bar. Fine pub too. Run by a Dub living in Toulouse 30 years.

You're right there, Max - it show's the state we were in that I'm confusing my Kilkennys with my Killarneys.

Comment

Working...
                              X