Trevor Hogan Interview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trevor Hogan Interview

[quote=[url="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,2768-2534755,00.html"]The Sunday Times[/url]]
    Tipperary star
    Peter O’Reilly
    Trevor Hogan has emerged from the Munster forwards factory to take his place in the Leinster pack— now he needs to find the self-belief required to go all the way
    We’re sitting in the team room at Leinster’s training base in Clonskeagh and Trevor Hogan is holding forth on some of his favourite characters, such as Ernest Hemingway, Norman Mailer and Che Guevara. He has been reading a biography of the Latin American revolutionary now and was pleasantly surprised to learn that Guevara was a fanatical rugby player in his youth.

“They had this nickname for him, which translated into The Fearless One,” says Hogan. “He was a lunatic seemingly, flying into rucks and tackles. I used to talk to Freddie Pucciariello about him down in Munster, because Freddie was also born in Rosario and Che’s a hero of his. I’ve tried talking to Felipe [Contepomi] about politics, about the Falklands and stuff, but I don’t think he’s that interested.”

Seeing Hogan so animated, it’s hard to believe that when the empty chairs in the room are filled by his fellow pros, he is the quiet figure in the corner. Partly that’s respect for seniority. When he was winning his two international caps — in Japan, two summers ago — five of his Leinster teammates were in New Zealand with the Lions. He’d rather let them do the talking. Besides, only six months have passed since he arrived from Munster with Stephen Keogh.

Also, this striking 27-year-old, all 6ft 6in of him, is almost pathologically wary of drawing attention to himself. This interview, for example. The journalism graduate wonders if it may be construed as self-publicity? God forbid. The one subject Trevor Hogan would rather avoid is Trevor Hogan himself.

There is just one point he’d like to clarify, however, and his determination to do so reveals something central to his character. Contrary to opinion, he’s not some quasi-Dub, returning to Leinster. True, he played for Trinity and Leinster under-20s while studying at DCU, also playing for Blackrock.

And yes, of course, he’s proud to be part of a Leinster team that had a pretty successful December all things considered — with 14 appearances out of a possible 15 this season before last night’s game against the Ospreys, he’s played more than anybody else. But he’s amused and occasionally frustrated by the notion that he somehow had a shorter journey to make last summer than his friend and housemate, Keogh.

“Myself and Keogh slag each other about how we’re described by the commentators on Setanta,” he says. “When I touch the ball, it’s Trevor Hogan, ex-Trinity, articulate, the journalism graduate. Then suddenly, it’s, ‘Here’s Stephen Keogh, the son of a farmer from Limerick.’ I’m actually a real farmer’s son. Keogh’s father only farmed part-time. And he joined Teagasc. He’s the farmer’s enemy, really. Make sure you get that in.”

Hogan is from Nenagh, Co Tipperary, and proud of the fact. When he and Keogh were presented to the crowd at Thomond Park last season, somebody suggested he should sing The Fields of Athenry. He let rip with Slievenamon, a Tipp anthem, and with clenched fist saluted his brother and a few friends from Nenagh standing down front.

He had a bit of a fright recently when a letter arrived in Dublin to say his name had been wiped from the local electoral roll. He was straight on to his mother to try to sort things out. “My sister is trying to talk me out of it, saying that I should move away from it,” he says. “But I still identify with home and I want to be able to vote for people that represent that area. That’s not to say that I don’t want to fully immerse myself in Dublin.”

He enjoyed his previous four years in the capital. Aspects of Trinity took a while to get used to, such as the team photo for the annual colours ma
    Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
    Munster: Early Season
    Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
    Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
    Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Great Article about a great lad and a great family. The f##ker nearly broke my leg in a game of tip a good few years ago when he was playing underage for NORFC. He isn't as quiet as that article makes out!!!
    Wally_fan 25/04/09
    \"bump bump bump, trying to keep the thread up there. holy mary im drunk. and in love with trish. although you all dont care about that. doesnt matter, i still love her\"

Comment

Would anyone have Matt Mc Cullough ahead of him? I certainly wouldn't.

My computer thinks I'm gay
      What's the difference anyway
      When all the people do all day
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

I hope he continues to thrive at Leinster. The day he slips on the red jersey again he will be instantly 20% better than he ever was wearing blue.

Comment

It's been a tough call with him, McCullough and MOD for past year or so. If anything it's more a sign of how McCullough's come through that he's on their level now than a slight against Hogan.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Omer
            It's been a tough call with him, McCullough and MOD for past year or so. If anything it's more a sign of how McCullough's come through that he's on their level now than a slight against Hogan.

I've been completely unimpressed with Mc Cullough. I think himself and Bryan Young are awful lazy forwards.

Is stare into a phone

Comment

I think McCullough has come on from the guy who looked like a rabbit trapped in the headlights against Australia. He looked good for Ireland A in the summer. I'd hold fire on his Ulster form though.

Young I thought was a better scrummager than he's looked the last few times I've seen him. He's a decent enough guy as back up but I'd have to say Hurley has shown enough so far to be capable of A and full squad if this is the level we're looking for.

Comment

Young is an average scrummager who contributes sweet FA around the park. Watching Ulster games its clear Harrison is miles ahead of Mc Cullough and thats the standard he needs to reach.

Is stare into a phone

Comment

Both McCullough and Hogan stamp far too much for my liking.

I don't know who it was, but some Todger appeared to have poleaxed Hogan during the Last Stand game just before half time- could it have been McCullough?TH was flat out on the ground for a couple of minutes and looked groggybefore beingreplaced early in the second half.
                  New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by wildRover

I hope he continues to thrive at Leinster. The day he slips on the red jersey again he will be instantly 20% better than he ever was wearing blue.

Crikey, 20% better . . is that a "colour me beautiful" thing at work?Would have thought a nice brown autumnal shade would be great for teams but can't think of too many teams sporting it . .

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

Young is an average scrummager who contributes sweet FA around the park. Watching Ulster games its clear Harrison is miles ahead of Mc Cullough and thats the standard he needs to reach.

Sewa, as I say I would have disagreed about scrummaging until last few months, now I don't rate him very highly there. I'm not a big fan of Harrison (seems to be living off 1 lineout steal and spat with man half his size) but I'd agree that McCullough needs to match that level to compete for Ireland. I thought he did that in the summer for the A team but again I'm not sure for Ulster so far. But then both of them are a regular part of the squad that's topping ML so they must be performing to some standard.

Comment

Working...
                      X