Connacht to qualify for the HEC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connacht to qualify for the HEC

While I dont see Connacht getting an automatic spot, I think they have still got a very good chance of getting the 24th spot.

With Connachts away European record if they can get ahead of the
    Dragons they shouldnt have too much difficulty in beating an Italian
    side.

So it should be a straight fight between the dragons and the westies for the last spot (Borders are gone)

Remaining Fixtures

Connacht

Edinburgh (a)

Ospreys (a)

Borders (h)

Leinster (a)

Cardiff (h)

Glasgow(h)

Dragons (a)

Scarlets (a)

Dragons:

Munster (h)

Borders (h)

Ulster (a)

Glasgow (h)

Ospreys (h)

Edinburgh (a)

Leinster (h)

Cardiff (a)

Munster (a)

Connacht (h)

Connacht have a good record in Wales and if Munster and Leinster dont
    allow the dragons to pick up points on those two trips. Then the only
    games you would expect the dragons to win are the home ones
    against the borders and glasgow (up until their last against Connacht).

Equally Connacht have home games against the Borders and Glasgow which
    could be enough to see them having to beat the dragons away to play HEC
    rugby next year. Might be a great game.

Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Certainly Munster and Leinster must do their bit, Dragons isn't an easy
    place to win though.
    It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Its not, but I hope Munster and Leinster send as close as possible to
      full strength sides. It would be great if we had four sides in the comp.

Incidentally the game against the Ospreys for Connacht is during the 6N so they may be takable.

Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Lets say Connacht do qualify. What difference will it really make to them? They would be very unlikely to actually qualify for the knock out stages.

My computer thinks I'm gay
        What's the difference anyway
        When all the people do all day
        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

Lets say Connacht do qualify. What difference will it really make to them? They would be very unlikely to actually qualify for the knock out stages.

So what? It will generate support throughout the province (you may have noticed the development of a bandwagon in Munster in your time) and develop some momentum, and give the Connacht players vital experience in playing in European competition, which seems (rightly) to be de minimus selection criteria to be picked for Eddie's Irish team

Comment

Bigger crowds to see the bigger teams come play. More money presumably.More attractive to sponsors.Greater experience for players.A big difference.

Comment

de minimus !!! What have we told you about you and your education. Its notwelcome round these parts.

Comment

Originally posted by mullet is gone
                de minimus !!! What have we told you about you and your education. Its notwelcome round these parts.

Ah now. Sure you just copied my post andexcised all the good Latin bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Snamh

So what? It will generate support throughout the province (you may have noticed the development of a bandwagon in Munster in your time) and develop some momentum, and give the Connacht players vital experience in playing in European competition, which seems (rightly) to be de minimus selection criteria to be picked for Eddie's Irish team

Do you honestly believe there is players in connachts team being denied selection for the national team's first 22 for that reason? If so who. They have a reasonably competitive pack but very little after that. As for generating a bandwagon I didnt see a bandwagon formingin the early years of the HC. It wasnt till 2000 when we reached the final that big attendances etc really kicked off. Up till then apart from one or two possible exceptions you could walk up and pay for your tickets at the gate. This despite the fact that Munster is a province that had a huge headstart over Connacht in terms of rugby history, No of internationals, big clubs etc. I dont buy the argument your average GAA man will suddenly turn up to every game just because its the HC.
                  My computer thinks I'm gay
                  What's the difference anyway
                  When all the people do all day
                  Is stare into a phone

Comment

Sorry, Im in manually putting all latin in italics mode at the moment. Stupid citing software is smarter than me.

Comment

I think if Connacht can get another 16 points (including beating the dragons away) that they will have done enough.

That would bring them to 35. Dragons got 37 (free weekend adjusted last
                      season), While Cardiff got 40 the previous one to claim the playoff
                      spot. So 35 might still be a tad low. But if Munster and Leinster can
                      help out (both to some extent still trying to win the league) then its
                      possible

Comment

Do you honestly believe there is players in connachts team being denied selection for the national team's first 22 for that reason? If so who. They have a reasonably competitive pack but very little after that. As for generating a bandwagon I didnt see a bandwagon formingin the early years of the HC. It wasnt till 2000 when we reached the final that big attendances etc really kicked off. Up till then apart from one or two possible exceptions you could walk up and pay for your tickets at the gate. This despite the fact that Munster is a province that had a huge headstart over Connacht in terms of rugby history, No of internationals, big clubs etc. I dont buy the argument your average GAA man will suddenly turn up to every game just because its the HC.

There could very well be another Jerry Flannery in there. Wouldnt we be that much more closer to spotting him if he was playing against top class sides.

Comment

Im not disputing that pretty much all of the players that are likely to deserve a place in the national team are playing outside Connacht. However, every additional team playing high quality HEC rugby means more players of a higher standard, which in turn increases pressure on the incumbents from other provinces, even if the pressure in some positions might be weak. Mark McHugh isn't a bad flyhalf, and we don't have a whole lot of options in that position, but its likely that a few good performances from him in the HEC would put a bit more pressure on Wallace. There are other players in the province who could come through and get capped, including McHugh to add to the one he has, Hogan the prop, Gannon, Riordan, and the backrow ain't that bad either. Munster and their exploits have given huge publicity both to the tournament and the sport of rugby, and that will help draw out people who otherwise might have limited engagement with rugby. I agree it wouldn't be huge, but it has to start somewhere. There were 4,500 people watch Connacht play Munster on New Year's Eve 2006, and 79 people (plus a dog) watching the same teams play at Dooradoyle in 1999...

I presume you didn't believe there was any point in Munster playing in the HEC before they reached a QF?

Comment

Need Leinster to throw their game vs Connacht! Go on boys, u know ya want to <!-
                            var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                            var SymReal;

Sym()
                            {
                            window.open = SymWinOpen;
                            if(SymReal != null)
                            SymReal();
                            }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                            {
                            if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                            SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                            window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                            SymReal = window.;
                            window. = Sym;
                            }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                            window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
                            http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

watching connacht on new years eve-i felt they have the players to beat most teams in the GP and already have a good record in france against the 2nd line french teams-id expect them to beat agen at home and certainly bourgoin. if bradley gets a modicum of common sense into some of the players (fogarty is an example) and they have a full strength team and a bit of luck-they seem to be lacking in this regard (at half time on NYE the weather dropped) i am surethey can win a pool in the HEC if they get a reasonable draw
                              If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

Working...
                              X